Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend me a PC game in this genre? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a strategy game of sorts. I absolutely loved Napoleon/Empire Total War, the conquering of different countries and building up your countries is definitely what I enjoy the most out of my games! I have tried games such as Civilization, but they just didn't do that much for me, even the basic 'Risk' game that I put on my iPhone I found quite enjoyable. So are there any PC games that work along these lines? I do really enjoy turn-based games, and games that are based around the 'World', so perhaps a game similar to Total War, where you can go to Europe, America etc?

Couple other examples I would mention would be the Planet-conquering aspect of Spore, the 'Risk' style game mode in Battle for Middle Earth 2, where you try to take over all of Middle Earth, and Command & Conquer 3's Risk style mode. I guess the 'Risk' style is quite prominant here !

IT doesn't have to be heavily Military-based, but anything would do really!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a strategy game of sorts. I absolutely loved Napoleon/Empire Total War, the conquering of different countries and building up your countries is definitely what I enjoy the most out of my games! I have tried games such as Civilization, but they just didn't do that much for me, even the basic 'Risk' game that I put on my iPhone I found quite enjoyable. So are there any PC games that work along these lines? I do really enjoy turn-based games, and games that are based around the 'World', so perhaps a game similar to Total War, where you can go to Europe, America etc?

Couple other examples I would mention would be the Planet-conquering aspect of Spore, the 'Risk' style game mode in Battle for Middle Earth 2, where you try to take over all of Middle Earth, and Command & Conquer 3's Risk style mode. I guess the 'Risk' style is quite prominant here !

IT doesn't have to be heavily Military-based, but anything would do really!

Thank you!
    I recommend Star Craft

ReputationRep:
    Starcraft? Warcraft? Stronghold? You probably already played the 1st

EDIT: Dammit beaten to starcraft! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 is quite similar, I think

ReputationRep:
    Starcraft 2 is the best strategy game out at the moment.

Have a look at DEFCON.

It has less macromanagement compared to other RTS games, but it's still a very good game. If you do decide to try it out, there are many mods available to assist you -- mainly interface stuff like showing radar ranges etc.

ReputationRep:
      the settlers: rise of a empire

dont know if you would be into it .... but Sims is a very good game depends on what you do with it though !

ReputationRep:
      Starcraft?! It's a great RTS but it's nothing like the games the OP's mentioned.

The other games in the Total War series will be right up your street (Rome and Medieval II are considered the best two in the series by most people )

I bought it in the Steam sale the other day but haven't yet played it so can't confirm, but King Arthur: The Role-playing Wargame is supposedly pretty similar to Total War and got pretty decent reviews. So it might be worth a look http://store.steampowered.com/app/24400/

To be honest, though, you're favouring a genre that's been dying a slow death for years now. I'm quite fond of turn-based strategy games as well but while they were really common in the 90s, they're few and far between these days :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
      Starcraft and C&C are terrible suggestions for what he's asking. He wants a slow-paced thoughtful strategy, which these games certainly are not.

If you liked the turn-based aspect of Total War, Europa Universalis III is supposed to be good. It's continental-scale and real-time, but you can slow the game and pause at will. I think it's meant to be a lot more in-depth than the TW games are. Been meaning to give it a try myself.

GameSpot review

ReputationRep:
      world in conflict?

ReputationRep:
      Hearts of Iron 3?

ReputationRep:
      Turn based games are for people who are bad at gaming.. and slow...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Thrug)
      STFU turn based strategy games can be awesome; less about micro-management as in RTS and more strategical.

ReputationRep:
      Total war: Shogun 2 is out in a few months so that might be worth the wait, it is for me anyway

ReputationRep:
      Think you might enjoy Anno 1404.

Its not exactly what you asked for because it is real-time not turn based, but it definitely has that "epic" feel that games like the Total War series and Civilization give you. Its more based around economy and city management than combat, but there is still often time pressure, I thought it was great

If you haven't played Medieval TW2 try that

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Thrug)
      Because strategic prowess is measured in APM.

ReputationRep:
      age of empires 2 (get the expansion pack)
      or age of empires 3

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.