Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 25 when I finish my Accounting & Finance degree. Fingers crossed, I will then obtain a graduate job - preferably as a Trainee Accountant.

My question is, will my age be 'frowned upon' or a disadvantage when I apply for graduate jobs?

Working in an office based environment, wouldn't they expect the average 'graduate' to be 21/22?

Does anyone have an experience of leaving university to begin a graduate job/scheme, that was a mature student?

ReputationRep:
    I was 24 when I applied for the job I got. No worries! My dad even said he thought it would be an advantage as I had a bit more "life experience" (though I think that's an overstatement personally).

What have you done since you left school aside from uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I was 24 when I applied for the job I got. No worries! My dad even said he thought it would be an advantage as I had a bit more "life experience" (though I think that's an overstatement personally).

What have you done since you left school aside from uni?
    That's good to hear! What profession do you work in?

After leaving school, I hadn't a clue of what I wanted to do. I completed a one year Business BTEC course, then gained employment as an Accounts Assistant. After working alongside the company Accountant, Directors, etc. I decided the only way forward was to get a degree under my belt; particularly as the company wouldn't allow me to study AAT (their reasoning behind this was that I was already competent, why did I need the qualification?). I begun with an access into HE course.

Thinking back, it was pretty scary (some may say silly) to leave a relatively secure job I enjoyed, but sacrifices must be made I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Hows that mature? You'll be younger than someone with a PhD
    I know someone who got on a grad scheme at the age of 50 so I think you'll be fine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccMaster)
    That's good to hear! What profession do you work in?

After leaving school, I hadn't a clue of what I wanted to do. I completed a one year Business BTEC course, then gained employment as an Accounts Assistant. After working alongside the company Accountant, Directors, etc. I decided the only way forward was to get a degree under my belt; particularly as the company wouldn't allow me to study AAT (their reasoning behind this was that I was already competent, why did I need the qualification?). I begun with an access into HE course.

Thinking back, it was pretty scary (some may say silly) to leave a relatively secure job I enjoyed, but sacrifices must be made I suppose.
    Well at the moment I'm temping, but I got a job as a trainee actuary to start in September. Very much looking forward to it

By the sounds of things your experience will really work in your favour! Make sure you milk it on your CV and in any job application; many grads applying for these schemes won't have had much in the way of relevant work experience. Don't stress now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccMaster)
    I'll be 25 when I finish my Accounting & Finance degree. Fingers crossed, I will then obtain a graduate job - preferably as a Trainee Accountant.

My question is, will my age be 'frowned upon' or a disadvantage when I apply for graduate jobs?

Working in an office based environment, wouldn't they expect the average 'graduate' to be 21/22?

Does anyone have an experience of leaving university to begin a graduate job/scheme, that was a mature student?
    These days its' not really so much of a problem if you are a mature age candidate.

I worked for many years after my 1st degree and then went back to read law because I was getting tired of the industry.

But I found it was not for me, and I had a better job in the industry I was previously in. However while reading law I got to know several people who were in their late 30s and one was at his late 40s. The bloke who was in his late 40s was a milk cart driver and he was doing the LPC to be a solicitor, he was among the few who had a training contract before finishing.

Difficulty in getting jobs, it is challenging for everyone not just mature age candidates All the best........

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

Glad that's cleared up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.