Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a BSc in Physics and I am interested in a career as a medical physicist.
    The problem is I can't make up my mind about which university to apply to.

Here is a list of the MSc courses accredited by the IPEM.

By searching the Internet i have distinguished the Uni of Aberdeen and Uni of Birmingham.

Any information about these universities or any other university and their MSc courses in Medical physics would be of great help.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean with they pay for the MSc.. You basically do not need to pay for your master and the total tutuition fees are payed by them?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm very interested in the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) and to work as a Medical Physicist.

I have conditional offer letters from the following universities.

>University of Aberdeen
    MSc in Medical Physics Computing

>University of Birmingham
    MSc in Medical and Radiation Physics

>Queen Mary, University of London
    MSc FT Medical Electronics and Physics

>University of Manchester
    MSc in Physics and Computing in Medicine and Biology

What is the procedure to apply for this programme? Can I join the programme after I complete my Masters or does it come as a package of three years?
    I'm an Indian and have pursued my education in India. Am I eligible for this programme?

I also hold conditional offer letters from:-

>University of Edinburgh
    MSc in Bioelectronics

>University of Surrey, Guildford
    MSc in Medical Imaging

>University of Sussex, Falmer and Brighton
    MSc in Biomedical Instrumentation, MSc in Medical Imaging

If NHS STP doesn't workout for me. What are my job prospects after studying the Medical Physics syllabus? What university do you suggest? My deadlines are fast approaching and I have to finalize my university! Please help me out!

Looking forward to hear from you guys!
    Niha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    Hey where have you ended up applying? i've been following a different thread for the nhs stp applications- do you know they are now advertising on jobs.nhs?? They include an MSc but i think the fees for this are only paid for EU candidates.

might be a bit late but Aberdeen is more for Engineers. If you do an imaging, computing or electronics MSc you are limiting youself to what you can do after so a straight medical physics MSc is probably best.

Birminghams MSc is meant to be good and Manchesters medical physics MSc is also.

I have applied for the STP at places which send their trainees to Leeds or Manchester.
    hi!
    yup, u r right.. non EU candidates don't stand a very good chance for a STP program. So, the next thing that I had to do was pick the university that had a good syllabus. Birmingham syllabus is too much into Radiation and Nuclear Medicine. Manchester is comparatively very expensive!
    I have zeroed it down to Aberdeen. The course is nice.. Emphasis on Imaging, which i like.. After graduation, i might have to look into other job prospects, STP is next to impossible for non EU national(or so I was told)

Good luck to you! I hope u make it into the program..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    You can still be a medical physicist in the nhs without getting on the STP- the STP is route 1 but there is an alternate route (route 2 if you look on IPEMs website) - i currently work as a technician in a hospital and 3 physicsts are doing route 2 and 1 is a non EU national so u could do that- the way onto route 2 seems to be getting a technician/dosimetry job in the nhs (already havign the MSc) and then if you impress them they might offer to train u via route 2.

You could also work developing treatment and imaging equipment but yes you can think of careers options at a later date.

ALSO i applied to Newcastle who are not adopting the new STP but sticking to the traditional scheme and they said their MSc is at either Leeds or Aberdeen! So we could end up meeting if that happened for me! however i dont to live that far north in Scotland so wouldnt want to be sent to Aberdeen really.... have you visited?? if so what was the Uni like?
    Can you elaborate a lil more that route 2 pls. Does it require a PhD or MSc is good enough?

No, I haven't been to Aberdeen.. Just spoke to some current students online. And lots of hours dedicated to Google abt the Uni. Seems like a small town.. A scenic one though.
    I'll be leaving my home back in India, so it doesn't really matter if its Leeds or Aberdeen.. Both are far away!

Keep me posted abt your STP result. Again, Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    UCL does Medical physics as a masters and also now as a 4 years masters with degree. hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niha_beig)
    Hi!

I'm very interested in the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) and to work as a Medical Physicist.

I have conditional offer letters from the following universities.

>University of Aberdeen
    MSc in Medical Physics Computing

>University of Birmingham
    MSc in Medical and Radiation Physics

>Queen Mary, University of London
    MSc FT Medical Electronics and Physics

>University of Manchester
    MSc in Physics and Computing in Medicine and Biology

What is the procedure to apply for this programme? Can I join the programme after I complete my Masters or does it come as a package of three years?
    I'm an Indian and have pursued my education in India. Am I eligible for this programme?

I also hold conditional offer letters from:-

>University of Edinburgh
    MSc in Bioelectronics

>University of Surrey, Guildford
    MSc in Medical Imaging

>University of Sussex, Falmer and Brighton
    MSc in Biomedical Instrumentation, MSc in Medical Imaging

If NHS STP doesn't workout for me. What are my job prospects after studying the Medical Physics syllabus? What university do you suggest? My deadlines are fast approaching and I have to finalize my university! Please help me out!

Looking forward to hear from you guys!
    Niha.
    Hi Niha,

I am a Bsc Physics student and am non-EU national also.
    I have been looking at the STP scheme for a while now. Its very interesting, but it seems that non-EU students do not have much chance to get in.
    I wanted to ask you if you applied for the scheme.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what design the hood is for MSc at Birmingham University? Ideally a picture, or even better, a place to buy second hand. I took my postgraduate 16 years ago and now I need a gown and hood for a new teaching job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.