The Student Room Group

Does GOMAD - Gallon Of Milk A Day diet work?

Hi,

I want to gain a few pounds , I'm naturally thin and would be regarded as a 'hard-gainer'. My personal trainer recommended barbell squats and a gallon of milk a day as well as my normal dier, she said a gallon of whole milk is 2400 and adding that to my normal diet of 2000 calories a day would be 4400 calories ( enough for me to gain a few pounds), she said it's what she does but she's quite bulky so I don't know....anyone ever heard of this diet? does it work? is it healthy?
Reply 1
Yes it does work, its a quick fire way to gain weight.

However, it is 'weight' not just muscle, and if your not working out it will just pretty much all turn to flab.

If you're new to the concept, i'd just try working up towards a gallon and see how it works for you.

E.g try 1-2 Litres of whole milk a day for a couple of weeks and see how that effects you.
Original post by Khanage
Yes it does work, its a quick fire way to gain weight.

However, it is 'weight' not just muscle, and if your not working out it will just pretty much all turn to flab.

If you're new to the concept, i'd just try working up towards a gallon and see how it works for you.

E.g try 1-2 Litres of whole milk a day for a couple of weeks and see how that effects you.

Ta :smile: I really hope it does, all those shakes are way too filling!
It'll just **** up your skin.
Reply 4
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s

How does GOMAD mess up your skin?

I've been told about the diet but never heard that.

How does milk mess up your skin? :confused:
Original post by WhuTom
How does GOMAD mess up your skin?

I've been told about the diet but never heard that.

all those hormones! just 1 pint of whole milk a day messes up my skin (not that I drink it anymore), I dread to think what 8 pints would do :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
all those hormones! just 1 pint of whole milk a day messes up my skin (not that I drink it anymore), I dread to think what 8 pints would do :eek:

I think it depends on your tolerance levels, not everyone gets affected by milk. I drink it regularly so that I can get calcium but it doesn't affect my skin. On the other hand, I know some people whose skin gets affected by dairy products.

If I drank that much milk, I'd be more worried that I'll get bloated and sick.
(edited 13 years ago)
Wow I wouldn't have room in my tummy for a gallon of milk AND my normal diet.

You'll get fat if you don't work out, that is the main thing.

A gallon of milk is 4 pints.
Original post by I<3LAMP
Wow I wouldn't have room in my tummy for a gallon of milk AND my normal diet.

You'll get fat if you don't work out, that is the main thing.

I'll start out with like half or a quarter then work my way up, really want to gain weight, I find it so hard :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
A gallon of milk is 4 pints.

It's 8 pints. Roughly 4.5 litres.
That's where you got the 4 from most likely :smile:
Reply 14
I believe the 'gallon' used in GOMAD is a US gallon, as this at 3.8 (just under) litres = approximately 2400 calories, obviously varying by brand. That's just under 7 pints which seems a little less daunting. I do half GOMAD simply because I love milk, and it hasn't affected my skin negatively.

PS My jaw dropped when I saw that a PT recommended some good advice :lol:
Reply 15
I would prefer more meals to GOMAD but it can provide results so meh. Also, it can give awful awful achne (on your face, chest and back). Can help bring up your lifts fairly quickly but at the same time it adds a lot of fat so your adding to your workload. Just look up some different diet plans and if you can be arsed then do that instead.
Reply 16
You'll be ****ting your guts out in no time I imagine.

It's simply not worth it imo, drink a litre of milk a day and then make up the rest with other calories. As a skinny guy buy no means do you need more than 3k calories a day to progress anyway. The other 1400 will just become fat and you'll end up trying to diet down in 2-3 months.

Quick Reply

Latest