Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found a question that said: which component of the diagram contains carbon and hydrogen only

diagram labelled: hydrophobic tail; protein channel

I thought that the hydrophobic tail contained oxygen too

can someone show me the chemical structure

ReputationRep:
    For a start a protein channel is mahoosivley complex and a protein itself (? I may be wrong)

And heres the structure of a hydrophobic tail -http://liquidbio.pbworks.com/f/phospholipid.jpg

Only contains carbon and hydrogen therefore no polar bonds therefore cannot interact with water and therefore is hydrophobic

ReputationRep:
    Yes fatty acids contain no oxygen besides the carboxyl group at the very end (the residue of which can be seen in the O-C=O part of Jaredss picture)

It is O-H hydrogen bonding that makes a molecule able to interact with water which is why the fatty acid is hydrophobic.

The protein channel will invariably contain oxygen and nitrogen and probably sulphur too.

ReputationRep:
    That is why I am confused - it does contain oxygen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmith6131)
    Not really- thats only the link between the tail and hydrophillic part. That hydrcarbon chain is significantly longer than the single oxygen atom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaredss)
    For a start a protein channel is mahoosivley complex and a protein itself (? I may be wrong)
    lol - of course it is.

(Original post by jsmith6131)
    It doesn't count as the 'tail' - its just the link.

ReputationRep:
    it is called a hydrocarbon tail, hence it contains hydrogen and carbon
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    the whole phospholipid contains oxygen, yes, but the actual tail doesn't because its the bond that links the two parts that has the oxygen, rather than the actual fatty acid tails, which i hydrophobic, so cannot interact with water

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.