Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your blood pressure? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Yesterday I had my blood pressure checked at the hospital, it is 137/64. I noticed that the top number is high and yet the bottom number is low. The doctor did not discuss this with me, does anyone know if this is normal for a 16 year old male?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbash)
    Hi all,

Yesterday I had my blood pressure checked at the hospital, it is 137/64. I noticed that the top number is high and yet the bottom number is low. The doctor did not discuss this with me, does anyone know if this is normal for a 16 year old male?

Thanks

Not normal. I have a home BP monitoring machine and I'm often 96/54 to 112/61. According to the manual ideally you should be under 130/85. Between 130 and 139 for the top number is classed as high normal, and 140+ is high blood pressure.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    umm well mine usually hovers around 120/70 and that's normal.

Here's a chart to help - from the look of it you're in the "high normal" range with your systolic figure, and "low normal" with your diastolic figure.

So I would say you're okish, could be better

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medi...d-pressure.htm
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbash)
    Hi all,

Thanks
    The "normal" value depends upon many factors (such as age etc) and so is difficult to define. In fact, it's easier to define abnormal than what is healthy. If it's not abnormal then you're fine. And if the person measuring it didn't have any concerns then you've nothing to worry about. I personally wouldn't say it's dangerously high, although taking into account your age it may be something to keep an eye on.

Mine's about 100/60

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to get excited about a single blood pressure reading, ever.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is usually between 110/70 or 120/80.......something like that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I just whipped out our sphygmo now and did myself, got around 115/65, fairly normal I reckon.

You don't really have to worry about blood pressure unless there is a massive anomoly, or it changes rapidly over time.

I think we monitor our patients around over-160/under-90 systolic and over-90/under-40 diastolic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and my BP is 117/52 which i'm told is normal so maybe yours is a bit high?

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes think that people should be banned from owning a home sphyg until they actually understand it a bit more. Anyway, OP, your systolic BP is probably a bit higher than most people's here, because they're young, but on its own it's nothing to get excited about. Of course, not knowing any of the rest of your medical history means I can't tell if it would be significant for you or not, but probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Did mine yesterday and it was 155/88 , stress stress
    Lol, however i am not a layman

ReputationRep:
    130/80

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia;29126362[B)
    ]I sometimes think that people should be banned from owning a home sphyg until they actually understand it a bit more[/B]. Anyway, OP, your systolic BP is probably a bit higher than most people's here, because they're young, but on its own it's nothing to get excited about. Of course, not knowing any of the rest of your medical history means I can't tell if it would be significant for you or not, but probably not.
    I really hope that wasn't directed at me

ReputationRep:
    110/88

(Original post by Renal)
      Nobody is going to get excited about a single blood pressure reading, ever.
      I've spent the last 4 hours dealing with someone with a BP of 220/130.
      She was pregnant, and fitting.

I was very excited! [in a brown pants way]

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Robbolo)
      I really hope that wasn't directed at me
      No, not you personally. I have just seen several people, both in real life and on here, who have BPs we really wouldn't get worried about but who keep measuring and measuring it and getting more and more stressed out, which makes things unpleasant both for patient and doctor.

ReputationRep:
      My GP also said people shouldn't own home BP monitors and such unless there's a need to keep a check of it. My BP is usually low anyway!

ReputationRep:
      60/41 ish - slightly low i've been told? I'm 19 and female by the way.

ReputationRep:
      I am SO HAPPY to see nobody has posted 'over 9000'.

ReputationRep:
      I can't remember what mine was, I think my systolic was pretty high because I'm a runner. Hence my heart rate is lower due to a higher stroke volume.

Mine's 84/46...I have a pulse of 46BPM and often get palpitations and can feel irregular heartbeats. I know that's not normal, but I have anorexia and know these are often linked/caused by low BMI. I haven't mentioned this to my doctor or therapist, though. Not sure if I should, and the ED keeps telling me it's insignificant...?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.