What is your blood pressure? Watch

bishbash
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all,

Yesterday I had my blood pressure checked at the hospital, it is 137/64. I noticed that the top number is high and yet the bottom number is low. The doctor did not discuss this with me, does anyone know if this is normal for a 16 year old male?

Thanks
daedalos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bishbash)
Hi all,

Yesterday I had my blood pressure checked at the hospital, it is 137/64. I noticed that the top number is high and yet the bottom number is low. The doctor did not discuss this with me, does anyone know if this is normal for a 16 year old male?

Thanks

Not normal. I have a home BP monitoring machine and I'm often 96/54 to 112/61. According to the manual ideally you should be under 130/85. Between 130 and 139 for the top number is classed as high normal, and 140+ is high blood pressure.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
umm well mine usually hovers around 120/70 and that's normal.

Here's a chart to help - from the look of it you're in the "high normal" range with your systolic figure, and "low normal" with your diastolic figure.

So I would say you're okish, could be better

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medi...d-pressure.htm
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bishbash)
Hi all,

Thanks
The "normal" value depends upon many factors (such as age etc) and so is difficult to define. In fact, it's easier to define abnormal than what is healthy. If it's not abnormal then you're fine. And if the person measuring it didn't have any concerns then you've nothing to worry about. I personally wouldn't say it's dangerously high, although taking into account your age it may be something to keep an eye on.

Mine's about 100/60
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nobody is going to get excited about a single blood pressure reading, ever.
Annie72
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mine is usually between 110/70 or 120/80.......something like that anyway.
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just whipped out our sphygmo now and did myself, got around 115/65, fairly normal I reckon.

You don't really have to worry about blood pressure unless there is a massive anomoly, or it changes rapidly over time.

I think we monitor our patients around over-160/under-90 systolic and over-90/under-40 diastolic.
should be revising
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm 17 and my BP is 117/52 which i'm told is normal so maybe yours is a bit high?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I sometimes think that people should be banned from owning a home sphyg until they actually understand it a bit more. Anyway, OP, your systolic BP is probably a bit higher than most people's here, because they're young, but on its own it's nothing to get excited about. Of course, not knowing any of the rest of your medical history means I can't tell if it would be significant for you or not, but probably not.
Carpediemxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Did mine yesterday and it was 155/88 , stress stress
Lol, however i am not a layman
DopplerEffect
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
130/80
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Helenia;29126362[B)
]I sometimes think that people should be banned from owning a home sphyg until they actually understand it a bit more[/B]. Anyway, OP, your systolic BP is probably a bit higher than most people's here, because they're young, but on its own it's nothing to get excited about. Of course, not knowing any of the rest of your medical history means I can't tell if it would be significant for you or not, but probably not.
I really hope that wasn't directed at me
Miss_Scarlett
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
110/88
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Nobody is going to get excited about a single blood pressure reading, ever.
I've spent the last 4 hours dealing with someone with a BP of 220/130.
She was pregnant, and fitting.

I was very excited! [in a brown pants way]
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Robbolo)
I really hope that wasn't directed at me
No, not you personally. I have just seen several people, both in real life and on here, who have BPs we really wouldn't get worried about but who keep measuring and measuring it and getting more and more stressed out, which makes things unpleasant both for patient and doctor.
Cybele
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My GP also said people shouldn't own home BP monitors and such unless there's a need to keep a check of it. My BP is usually low anyway!
amie05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
60/41 ish - slightly low i've been told? I'm 19 and female by the way.
KayK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am SO HAPPY to see nobody has posted 'over 9000'.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can't remember what mine was, I think my systolic was pretty high because I'm a runner. Hence my heart rate is lower due to a higher stroke volume.
Anonymous #1
Report 8 years ago
Mine's 84/46...I have a pulse of 46BPM and often get palpitations and can feel irregular heartbeats. I know that's not normal, but I have anorexia and know these are often linked/caused by low BMI. I haven't mentioned this to my doctor or therapist, though. Not sure if I should, and the ED keeps telling me it's insignificant...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads