Completing masters after Bsc External and BSc External thoughts

Watch
Jas0nP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm strongly considering doing the Bsc in Econ on the international program ran by UoL w/ the lead college as London School of Economics. I'm self employed and have spent the last 2 years traveling while working so the external program would be ideal for me.

From lots of searching around the forum and reading the prospects this is what i can gather:

- There is supposedly no difference between the External and Internal degree in quality. The modules offered are the same. The material, exams etc are provided by LSE. The UoL AND the LSE prospects also say though - but obviously they would, this course is a cash cow for them.

Reading around the forum lots of people believe employers will view the external as a lesser degree, based on the lack of entry requirements for the degree.

- The degree is credited from UoL with the lead college of LSE written on it. I read on this forum that is the same way internal degrees from LSE are credited. From UoL w/ LSE as the lead college. I have no idea about this can anyone confirm?

- This is what i'm mostly interested in. It's possible to finish the masters internal at LSE. Does anyone know how possible and how competitive this is? I know getting into LSE for the 2nd year after external for the first year is extremely competitive. And does anyone know if this route is taken then the masters has to be credited the same way as an internal student for the whole duration, correct?

Has anyone here completed the external and gone on to masters elsewhere? Or is currently studying externally or just completed and have any thoughts? Everything would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
jeeperscreepers
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am in the third year of my BSc in International Relations with the UoL external system and applying for postgraduate courses. I have found that Universities recognise that if you are getting good results on the External programme (or International Programme as it is now called), then you are clearly highly motivated and capable of working without as much tutorial support as internal students. The degree certificate from the International Programme makes clear that you have studied under the academic guidance of the LSE and in fact the courses follow similair structures to the internal LSE ones

Without blowing my own trumpet too much, both Cambridge and LSE proper have offered me places on their Masters Courses for next September, conditional on me getting an upper second - which I anticipate getting.

In the UK Employers are pretty relaxed about distance learning, so I would not sweat about that.

However there are too things to consider. Firstly if you are not good at working on your own, the external system is no fun at all - it really is not for you.

Secondly friends and family may see it as a lesser degree, even if Universities and employers recognise its merits. That can be quite frustrating for some people.

Best of luck.
Jas0nP
Rep:
?
Hey jeeperscreepers,

Thank you for your reply. Thank was exactly what i was looking for.

Congratulations on your offers for your masters too. The route you are taking is exactly what i'll be looking to do.

Do you know of many people studying externally that went on to do their masters either internally or with top universities?

Thank you once again.
thecliff2020my
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jeeperscreepers)
I am in the third year of my BSc in International Relations with the UoL external system and applying for postgraduate courses. I have found that Universities recognise that if you are getting good results on the External programme (or International Programme as it is now called), then you are clearly highly motivated and capable of working without as much tutorial support as internal students. The degree certificate from the International Programme makes clear that you have studied under the academic guidance of the LSE and in fact the courses follow similair structures to the internal LSE ones

Without blowing my own trumpet too much, both Cambridge and LSE proper have offered me places on their Masters Courses for next September, conditional on me getting an upper second - which I anticipate getting.

In the UK Employers are pretty relaxed about distance learning, so I would not sweat about that.

However there are too things to consider. Firstly if you are not good at working on your own, the external system is no fun at all - it really is not for you.

Secondly friends and family may see it as a lesser degree, even if Universities and employers recognise its merits. That can be quite frustrating for some people.

Best of luck.
How do you get Academic References since you are with the UOL International Programmes? Or do you study for the degree through an institution?
chayanthi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thecliff2020my)
How do you get Academic References since you are with the UOL International Programmes? Or do you study for the degree through an institution?
+1, anyone have any ideas as to references?
jeeperscreepers
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had no problems getting an academic referee - I approached the LSE external office and they were very helpful. I didnt ask for a copy of the reference, so I dont know what it looked like, but it was good enough for every university I applied for!

Best of luck guys
thecliff2020my
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You mean you actually went to the London External Office physically to ask them writing references for you? Or you contact them via mail etc?
jeeperscreepers
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think I rang them - certainly didnt go in person.
saqiby2002
Report 10 years ago
Hi Jeepercreeper

I am also interested in apply for LSE's MSc programme. I am currently enrolled in external program and I am doing self study. So u called up people at the UoL external office and requested them for the references. May i know which country r u presently in? I am in Singapore. So hopefully i can also call the office and request them for the references.

Thanks
jeeperscreepers
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am in Sri Lanka - although I am British, it really was no problem at all to get the reference.

The contact details for UoL external if you are doing an EMFSS course as I am are on this link.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/UOLIP/home.aspx

They asked me to provide a few bits and pieces of information, a CV basically, and confirm exam scores to date, to help them flesh out the reference.

Best of luck......
Jas0nP
Rep:
?
Hey again jeeperscreepers,

Can I ask how old you are? The route you are taking is exactly the route I want to take. I'm interested mostly in studying for my BSc externally w/ UoL so I will be able to go internally at a top university for my MSc. I'll be 29 when applying for my Masters and I don't imagine that should get in the way but i'd like to make sure.

Do you know of any other UoL about to be graduates who have gone internally for their masters?

Thank you for all your answers.
jeeperscreepers
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am actually 40, I was 36/37 when I started. I am sure there are others who have applied for Masters, there were five or six post grad students at the LSE external study weekend who were helping out who had done their undergraduate studies through the external programme. Dont know any of their back stories though, but a good range of ages and nationalities.
cateyes1234
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jas0nP)
- There is supposedly no difference between the External and Internal degree in quality. The modules offered are the same.
One man is sitting inside the restaurant and having dinner, and the second man is not allowed to eat the same food inside the same restaurant so he takes his food from the restaurant and eats it at home (take away).

Difference: First man will enjoy the benefits of service, and he knows that after his food is finished, he will pay and walk out.
Second man will enjoy his freedom while eating at home, but after his food is finished, he will have to clear up all his mess from the table & will wash his dishes himself.

Note: Please don't get me wrong, I am not against external programmes, all I want to say that YES there's a big difference between internal & external degree programme in terms of it's benefits. A person can do anything not everything at home.
Jas0nP
Rep:
?
Thank you again jeeperscreepers.
saqiby2002
Report 9 years ago
Hi jeepercreeper.

Check with you, how many references did you get from UOL. I understand that UOL only provides one reference letter. But the application requirement is to provide 2 references. Is this correct.

Thanks
lifelonged
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Jeeperscreepers

I know that this is an old thread. If you're now in the middle of your masters degree, how do you rate the preparation that the International Programme gave you for postgrad study?
jeeperscreepers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lifelonged)
Hi Jeeperscreepers

I know that this is an old thread. If you're now in the middle of your masters degree, how do you rate the preparation that the International Programme gave you for postgrad study?
I thought it was fine. Very helpful preparation for reading and research, less helpful for the seminars and group studies. But I didn't feel disadvantaged at all. I have now completed my Masters - received an award for best overall student, so the distance learning did not hold me back too much!
lifelonged
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for getting back to me. Well done machan, great result! Sometimes I think that UOLIP gets a bit of a bad rep. I've studied full time and part time in a couple of other Universities and I'm very impressed with the UOLIP standard. You have to do it all yourself, but I feel that this is much better preparation than some of the spoonfed courses that I've done. I'm enjoying this much more than previous degrees. It is a bit harder, like you in my 40s, working full time, and have three children. At least I'm showing the kids what a good work ethic looks like. I'd like to take a year out and do a masters. I'll have to see if I can make circumstances line up for this.

What do you plan on doing next?

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.92%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.21%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.33%
I'm really nervous (60)
20.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise