The Student Room Group

TSR Amateur Athletes Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
hey ..... im a really sporty person ... ive played hockey, netball,basketball and ive been an athletic captain as well. im havin some trouble.. i just shifted to this college yea and here they dnt do much sports for sixth former girls... wat should i do?? any suggestions???
find a local club instead
Reply 122
First game of hockey in about 2 months tomorrow. Unreasonably keen.
Anybody else got much on?
Original post by Slumpy
First game of hockey in about 2 months tomorrow. Unreasonably keen.
Anybody else got much on?

BUCS 6 and ULU football, only started 3 weeks ago so need to find a way to get the fitness up.
Reply 124
First game of my tennis season yesterday.

I lost 6-3 4-6 6-4.

My serve was pretty appalling but it was fun nevertheless can't wait for the next game.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 125
University rugby league season over, and now i'm working full time so struggling to play rugby as my shifts are always changing :frown:.

Gonna try and play some summer rugby league in Cardiff and will tell you guys how it goes.

Either way i'm still in the gym training 4 times a week so :smile:
I Row mainly, The level I row is Nationally. I don't much time for any other sport but, i cross train using my road bike, running, and of course, I hit the gym too often.
Any other rowers???:biggrin:
Reply 127
Rugby for me. Am one of Gods chosen people (prop).

Will be looking to join the uni team when I head over to Nottingham.

Am currently just focusing on getting stronger
Original post by Dennerers
I Row mainly, The level I row is Nationally. I don't much time for any other sport but, i cross train using my road bike, running, and of course, I hit the gym too often.

Rowing is cool. :biggrin:

But gymnastics is cooler. :cool:
Played a lot of sports when I was a kid, but stopped most of them 5 years ago. I started cricket again last year and I was pretty bad, but towards the season I improved a lot. Looking to play again this season and then hopefully next year in my first year of university :smile: Fan of football, table tennis, tennis, squash and all that too :tongue: only played them for fun with friends though
(edited 11 years ago)
Delighted the football season has started again - switched clubs so I would know more of the people playing, and because my previous team's Reserve side folding meant I wouldn't get much of a look in. A great call in the end, as I've moved up two divisions and I've had more minutes this season than the last two combined (though that was in part due to the broken leg/ankle I had).

Pre-season didn't go too well, a lot of players missing meant a few heavy defeats and some performances I wasn't pleased with, but we won our first game of the season 2-1 against one of the promotion favourites and I had a decent game in goal.

The next game wasn't so good though, came up against an old team-mate who is prolific at our level and got spanked 7-0 in one of my worst-ever performances.

Their keeper from last season then came back from the USA and walked straight into the side, dropping me to the bench, and the result was a 0-0 bore draw in the next game.

Then followed a Charity Cup match against Bridport FC (Toolstation League - 8th Tier of English Football) who are far more established than ourselves, where I was re-instated with the intention of keeping the other keeper fresh for a game two days later. We lost 2-0 but I was MOTM so kept my place on the Saturday, where I was MOTM again in another Cup match, this time in the Dorset Cup as we won 3-2 against Portesham Utd.

Fair to say my confidence is pretty high at the moment - communication, command of my area and one on ones seem to be improving every game but I still need to work on my goal kicks, I think I'm trying too hard haha.

In short, it's good to be back, and good to be winning for a change. :h:
Reply 131
Hi everyone.
Playing for wingate and finchley u18/reserves. (ryman premier league- 7th tier)
I am a striker, scored around 25 goals at this level last year.
After starting this year, struggled with breathlessness playing football, really struggled and now been given an inhaler so hopefully I can now put in some strong performances!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Reply 132
I play football (soccer)
But sadly Not good enough to be in a team
I'm a rower :smile:

I row for the 1st VIII for my medical school and we're getting more serious this year in terms of training so will be posting in this forum a bit more probably.

First 2km test next week.. fun times ahead :redface:
Reply 134
Rugby has come to a bit of a standstill ATM... Finished university so can't play for them anymore, and although I intended to play over the summer i didnt manage too!

However in July i started CrossFit... Really enjoying it so far, lifts have shot up and feeling fitter than ever! Pretty much taken me over - doing their workouts 3/4/5 times a week, and an extra 1/2 pure strength sessions.

Loving it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 135
Original post by Dennerers

Me but still at schoolboy level. :colonhash:
I'm training MMA and hope to fight at amateur level by the end of my gap year
Hi,

So my main sport is long distance running, from 5K to half marathons at the moment (still got 26.2 in the future). I've been running for two years at time of posting and have competed for the last year and a half. I feel to have improved a lot and usually finish in the top 20% of races. I train about 4 times per week, twice with my club (quality sessions), a normal run and a long run on my own. I primarily take part in road races (that's where I'm more competitive) but also help out the team in cross country, which is good fun.

My current aims are to get a sub-40 minute 10K, A sub 90-minute half marathon and sub-19 minute 5K. These are ongoing goals and may take a while to be completed but since this time last year I've reduced my 5K time by over a minute and my half marathon time by over 5 minutes.
I had my first Amateur MMA fight last night. It was a good fight, but ended up losing a Decision, 29-28
I play netball, I'm in the second team for my age at school but I'm hoping to move into the first team this year because im very committed and willing to work hard :smile: i was going to play for a club but i couldnt in the end because i go to boarding school 40 minutes away so it would be very hard and i would miss a lot of squad trianing.

also i do athletics - mostly high jump which im quite good at for my age and i also do a bit of running but im very slow

i enjoy tennis, swimming, badminton, dance and gymnastics as well. i have tennis lessons and am close to being able to get in the school team but im supposed to athletics instead ;-; i would love to be good at dance and gymnastics but its hard to train at all because of boarding school :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest