The Student Room Group

AQA English Language B, AS - Advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Becksiee26
Random Q, dont suppose you know of a link to the January 2011 paper do you? Would be a big help, thank you :smile:

I'll have a look. When do you need it for? - I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment
I'm sitting it for the first time tomorrow :/
Reply 42
Original post by bun
I'll have a look. When do you need it for? - I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment

Just the power question really please, no worries if your too busy, just if you get 5 minutes :P x
Reply 43
Original post by intheviolethour

if you have any queries, feel free to ask. Tho this is the third time sitting the exam and both previous attepts resulted in high C's :smile:
Reply 44
Okay so i'm in trouble with this exam even though i've been revising for a month, i fully understand the Grouping Texts question, but can anyone help me with the Power/Gender/Tech questions?
I'm choosing to focus on Language and Power - can anyone give me a list of key features i should discuss? (eg imperatives)

Thank you in advance
Reply 45
Any model answers for Language and Power? :smile:

Thank you x
Reply 46
Just the power question really please, no worries if your too busy, just if you get 5 minutes :P x

OK, I can't find a link, but I can pretty much remember it. It was some sort of charity poster, think it may even have been about slavery or similar.

The ones like that are my favourite ones. Allows you to basically just set out, and do the whole exam in 3 paragraphs. Fairclough's theory of advertising. Then add a little bit on 'images/words are trying to make us feel guilty, thus more likely to accept..'
Look especially for mitigation - tends to be a big giveaway if they are trying to ask for a donation.
Reply 47
[QUOTE="Becksiee26;31941567"]
Original post by Jessipops
hey, was just browsing and found this :smile: very useful thank you all :smile: got my AS Eng Lang exam tomorrow =s bit worried but this was brill ta :smile: thanks Kinesthetic also!

good luck! :smile: I'm sitting it too "/ x

AH good luck :smile: <3 :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by intheviolethour

Same, which are you most confident on theorist wise???
Reply 49
Original post by bun
OK, I can't find a link, but I can pretty much remember it. It was some sort of charity poster, think it may even have been about slavery or similar.

The ones like that are my favourite ones. Allows you to basically just set out, and do the whole exam in 3 paragraphs. Fairclough's theory of advertising. Then add a little bit on 'images/words are trying to make us feel guilty, thus more likely to accept..'
Look especially for mitigation - tends to be a big giveaway if they are trying to ask for a donation.

No worries, thats a BIG help! Thank you so much, and thanks for the added advice too, fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 50
Does anyone know what came up in Language & technology january 2011 paper please?
Just what genre it was, so i don't waste time revising it as it won't come up tomorrow!
Thanks
@becksiee26 Hi thanks, I think I have revised enough now :/ hoping that my coursework will drag me up XD

@jessipops I think Lakoff and Tannen are the easiest to remember, but I think I'll be taking the technology question as I am a damn sight better at technology! Gender is more a back-up so to speak :biggrin: what about you?
Original post by Jessipops
Same, which are you most confident on theorist wise???

Although there are very few theories for technology (as we've been taught) I'm a helluva lot more confident on that one, what about you? What one are you doing? Oh God, I'm praying for a message board or twitter question :/ or email... eMAIL I could do.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 53
Are there any theorists for Lang and Tech? If so can you name me them
Thanks
Reply 54
Original post by V10
Are there any theorists for Lang and Tech? If so can you name me them
Thanks

Only one I can think of Schegloff's Telephone Struture :smile:
Reply 55
Anyone doing Lang and Tech.. what could you write about if text messages came up? Can't find anything on that in my notes :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Only one I can think of Schegloff's Telephone Struture :smile:

Could you explain this one please?
Reply 57
Original post by shah94
Anyone doing Lang and Tech.. what could you write about if text messages came up? Can't find anything on that in my notes :s-smilie:

USE OF;

Vowel Omission; i.e. pls(please) hv(have)
Homophonic Represenataion; i.e. M8 (Mate) 2L8(toolate)
Phonetic Spelling; Because (cos)
Initialism; LMK (let me know)
Acronym; LOL(laugh out loud)
Variant Spelling; wot (what) wen (when)

etc etc..

How techology has had a huge impact on the use of language creating neologisms, a new kind of lexis :smile:

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by shah94
Could you explain this one please?

Sure :smile:

He suggests there is a structure to everyphone call. Basically.

When someone rings the house phone; auto matic reaction = 'Hello?'
This is what Schegloffs terms as the 'Summoning/Answering' - the opening channel of communication.

Next, you think, who's calling?
And this is the stage called, 'Identification'
Establishing who is calling fro voice/asking who is calling. (Vital for non face-to-face communication)

Next - Ohhhh HIYAAAAAA
Schegloffs called this the 'Greeting Sequence' - initiating a shared space.

Closely followed by the inevitable, 'How are you' Sequence - strengthening the shared space.

So if a telephone conversation comes up, you could comment how it either supports his theory, giving exampls of how and why it does ORRRR if it refutes, again giving examples of how and why, and take into account context too :smile:
Reply 59
No worries, thats a BIG help! Thank you so much, and thanks for the added advice too, fingers crossed! :smile:

Don't mention it :smile: Best of luck!! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. My advice, do power. By far the easiest one. Just think like a politician, and for every word, think 'why have they used that, could they have used something else, but haven't for a reason, e.g. to influence, or persuade etc' and you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending