This discussion is closed.
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
My boyfriend and I have been having an argument, well, ok a debate, as to wether or not the Lib Dems will come into power after the general election. He's insistant that Blair will be out as he's screwed up so much recently, but I honestly cannot see the Lib's forming any sort or feasible alternative governing body! Don't get me wrong, I vote for them, but can't see little Charles kennedy as PM.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's never going to happen. Despite popular opinion, the majority of voters in the UK aren't stupid enough to vote for them.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The trend of society is to become more Liberal (not necessarily economically, more politically), so to say that it won't happen is a bit naive.

Voting Lib Dem is far from stupid - more showing frustration at the shambles that are Labour and Conservative.
rednirt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr White)
It's never going to happen. Despite popular opinion, the majority of voters in the UK aren't stupid enough to vote for them.
you dont need to be stupid to vote for them (I'm resisting the temptation to say "but it helps") but seriously can anyone see the labour party in another term of office? The Torie's are all but non-existant in their challenge, and it seems to me that the libs are now the second party.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
you dont need to be stupid to vote for them (I'm resisting the temptation to say "but it helps") but seriously can anyone see the labour party in another term of office? The Torie's are all but non-existant in their challenge, and it seems to me that the libs are now the second party.
Despite all the internal back-stabbing and unrest, the Tory party is the best hope that this country has. With great politicians like Oliver Letwin numbered among them, they will get back on track and put Mr Blair back on the dole.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Despite all the internal back-stabbing and unrest, the Tory party is the best hope that this country has. With great politicians like Oliver Letwin numbered among them, they will get back on track and put Mr Blair back on the dole.
I'm sorry, but Oliver Letwin is a joke. People will see through his pretention if he ever gets a worthy place.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lib dem's are the only party with some shred of credibility about them. I believe it is a possibility that they will win the election, simply because people won't want to vote for either conservative or labour.
The only problem is getting them to be bothered to vote at all really.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I'm sorry, but Oliver Letwin is a joke. People will see through his pretention if he ever gets a worthy place.
He does have a worthy place - he's Shadow Chancellor.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
True. Wasn't he the guy that said a new Tory government would have tax cuts of 20bn, then got absolutely *******ed by IDS.
rednirt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Lib dem's are the only party with some shred of credibility about them. I believe it is a possibility that they will win the election, simply because people won't want to vote for either conservative or labour.
The only problem is getting them to be bothered to vote at all really.
the fact that people cannot be bothered to vote for either of the "main" parties is the only way I see the lib dems getting in, but the reason I'm so het up about the fact I don't think they'll make it is cos of what you just mentioned, voter apathy. Didn't we have a really low turn out at the last general election?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The lib dems won't get in.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
the fact that people cannot be bothered to vote for either of the "main" parties is the only way I see the lib dems getting in, but the reason I'm so het up about the fact I don't think they'll make it is cos of what you just mentioned, voter apathy. Didn't we have a really low turn out at the last general election?
No, i see it the other way round. People don't want to vote for the 'main two', because they are as bad as each other, but just cant be bothered to vote for the lib dem's. At least, that is how it seems to me.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
True. Wasn't he the guy that said a new Tory government would have tax cuts of 20bn, then got absolutely *******ed by IDS.
Also, to add to that, he said when asked about education that he would rather beg in the streets and pay for his kids to attend an independent school than for them to go to the local comprehensive.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
No, i see it the other way round. People don't want to vote for the 'main two', because they are as bad as each other, but just cant be bothered to vote for the lib dem's. At least, that is how it seems to me.
I think all this political apathy calls for a new party......"The Apathy Party" I'd start it myself, only I can't be assed.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I think all this political apathy calls for a new party......"The Apathy Party" I'd start it myself, only I can't be assed.
lol
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also, to add to that, he said when asked about education that he would rather beg in the streets and pay for his kids to attend an independent school than for them to go to the local comprehensive.
Well, considering the ****ty, third rate education offered under chaotic conditions, by SOME local comprehensives, it's difficult not to have some measure of sympathy with him.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, considering the ****ty, third rate education offered under chaotic conditions, by SOME local comprehensives, it's difficult not to have some measure of sympathy with him.
'Some' Comprehensives don't offer ****ty education, its the lippy kids that make it **** for everyone. I don't have any sympathy, he's just a pathetic Tory. Some kids have to go schools nearby, and don't have a choice.

Saying that, I didn't go to my closest comprehensive.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
'Some' Comprehensives don't offer ****ty education, its the lippy kids that make it **** for everyone. I don't have any sympathy, he's just a pathetic Tory. Some kids have to go schools nearby, and don't have a choice.

Saying that, I didn't go to my closest comprehensive.
You are right.

I said SOME do. I didn't deny that SOME don't. But, I'm bound to say that presented with the sole option of sending my kids to a comp in the "SOME do" category I'd go to SOME lengths to avoid it.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You are right.

I said SOME do. I didn't deny that SOME don't. But, I'm bound to say that presented with the sole option of sending my kids to a comp in the "SOME do" category I'd go to SOME lengths to avoid it.
Sounds ok to me. Its all relative.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Considering he lives in a very nice affluent part of Dorset there really is nothing wrong with the local comps/state schools.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
26.67%
No (18)
60%
Don't know (4)
13.33%

Watched Threads