The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jammyd
Sounds ok to me. Its all relative.

So's my gran.
Reply 21
Pencil Queen
Considering he lives in a very nice affluent part of Dorset there really is nothing wrong with the local comps/state schools.

I think he may have been referring to a school near his London home.
Reply 22
Iluvatar
Lib dem's are the only party with some shred of credibility about them. I believe it is a possibility that they will win the election, simply because people won't want to vote for either conservative or labour.
The only problem is getting them to be bothered to vote at all really.

They can't seem to get rid of the image of being opportunists. They have never been in goverment and, in my mind, seem to sit on the sidelines and criticse. This is not a problem with just the lib dems, on the current issue of top up fees it is blatantly obvious that the opposition are taking the chace to damage the government without offering a great alternative. The Tories have no policy. And, although I agree with raising the top rate of tax, that is not going to pay for everything.

At the moment I can see nothing but another labour government. The tories are lame and the lib dems seem to lack any real clout.
jammyd
I think he may have been referring to a school near his London home.

Oh right...that's something I don't like, I'd like it to be compulsory for an MP to live in their constituency.
mikesgt2
They can't seem to get rid of the image of being opportunists. They have never been in goverment and, in my mind, seem to sit on the sidelines and criticse. This is not a problem with just the lib dems, on the current issue of top up fees it is blatantly obvious that the opposition are taking the chace to damage the government without offering a great alternative. The Tories have no policy. And, although I agree with raising the top rate of tax, that is not going to pay for everything.

At the moment I can see nothing but another labour government. The tories are lame and the lib dems seem to lack any real clout.

Alternative?
What about not introducing it, and simply giving more money to uni's without the bureocracy?
Hows that for a policy?
Reply 25
I think Lib Dems will continue to do better locally.. but I predict that Blair will resign and Brown will take his place- hopefully taking Labour back to the Left (where it should be). I think Kennedy has missed some seriously good opportunites to show Blair up so the Lib Dems probably wont get in.
Reply 26
Elle
I think Lib Dems will continue to do better locally.. but I predict that Blair will resign and Brown will take his place- hopefully taking Labour back to the Left (where it should be). I think Kennedy has missed some seriously good opportunites to show Blair up so the Lib Dems are unlikley to get in.

That Sounds good to me!
Reply 27
Iluvatar
Alternative?
What about not introducing it, and simply giving more money to uni's without the bureocracy?
Hows that for a policy?

I'm sorry, but do you really think removing a bit of bureocracy will solve the funding problems for universities?

All I am saying is that it is extremely easy to criticise this policy, but considerably harder to suggest an alternative policy.
Reply 28
mikesgt2
I'm sorry, but do you really think removing a bit of bureocracy will solve the funding problems for universities?

All I am saying is that it is extremely easy to criticise this policy, but considerably harder to suggest an alternative policy.

The government had something like 9 other alternatives but hasn't revealed them to the public.. which it should have done. I personally believe that taxing the rich to fund education is a much better solution.
Reply 29
Daveo
That Sounds good to me!

Me too! The further Labor lurch to the left (and I'm sure Gordon would be most accommodating in this regard) the more unelectable they will become and before long they'll find themselves right back in the political wilderness where they belong.
Reply 30
Howard
Me too! The further Labor lurch to the left (and I'm sure Gordon would be most accommodating in this regard) the more unelectable they will become and before long they'll find themselves right back in the political wilderness where they belong.

I doubt it.. people who traditionally vote Labour are lost because it no longer represents them and a lot Lib Dem supporters won't vote for them until Kennedy gets his act together.. so if Labour goes left they'd be appealing to both these groups.
Reply 31
Elle
I doubt it.. people who traditionally vote Labour are lost because it no longer represents them and a lot Lib Dem supporters won't vote for them until Kennedy gets his act together.. so if Labour goes left they'd be appealing to both these groups.

Yes, but people who traditionally vote Labor voted for a traditional Labor party, (by which I mean one with "traditional labor values" at the core of it's policies) which I think is what GB would like to return to. The only problem with this is that nobody wants it, as amply demonstrated during a 13 year absense from Labor in office.
The Liberal Democrats are the most stupid party of them all. They make up a load of great policies which seem really good (ie. free university) but they will all be impossible to carry out!
Reply 33
mikesgt2

That is what I fear - that the opposition parties are completely useless. I can imagine that the Lib Dems may cause a fairly strong opposition to Labour in a general election but they are just considered to inexperienced and perhaps weak-willed to over power the Labour party.
Reply 34
happysunshine
The Liberal Democrats are the most stupid party of them all. They make up a load of great policies which seem really good (ie. free university) but they will all be impossible to carry out!

That's what's so wonderful about being a second place opposition party. You can say anything you want because you know you'll never asked to implement any of it.
Howard
That's what's so wonderful about being a second place opposition party. You can say anything you want because you know you'll never asked to implement any of it.

Exactly and yet there are some people who are stupid enough to believe they will.
Reply 36
happysunshine
Exactly and yet there are some people who are stupid enough to believe they will.

Seriously, your opinions on Politics seem to be based on vague, groundless crap - so I wouldn't criticise others for what you have just said.
Bigcnee
Seriously, your opinions on Politics seem to be based on vague, groundless crap - so I wouldn't criticise others for what you have just said.

Oh leave me alone, will you?
Reply 38
Bigcnee

Like most of the population. Not everyone watches Newsnight.
Reply 39
happysunshine
Oh leave me alone, will you?

Nope. Not when you seem at the forefront of any political discussion these days.

Latest

Trending

Trending