The Student Room Group

a2 psych essay - PIAGET

i have to write an essay...

'Piaget assumed that if a child could not perform a task, he/she lacked the competence to do so. Critically discuss' [30 marks]

im really really stuck! does anyone have any advice?! ive written about 3/4 of a page.

ive introduced piagets stage theory, ive written how the stages are qualitiatively different (highlighting the importance of skills) and then explained competence and performance and how piaget assumed that if a child doesnt understand the task (competence) then they automaticaly dont have the abilitiy to perform a task.. and how this is contradicted by wheldhall and poborca when they did a nonverbal version of the conservation task and more children showed conservation, meaning that if kids dont have the competence to understand a task its possible that they have the ability to perform it.. and related it back to the fact that piagets stages are qualitatively different and this highlights the importance of skill, and if piagets research is flawed because of his assumptions then the stages could be wrong coz children could have the skills but just cannot show it in the tasks cos they dont undetstant it etc etc etc!

that jus shows one side of the argument, and its just one piece of research! i dont know what to write for 30 marks, ive written like 1/4 of the essay. i dont know what to write to prove piagets side of the argument? coz critically dicsuss = evaluate arguments for and against, right?!

i hate a2 psychology :frown:

Any advice?!

Em xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending