What time to start queuing for a concert?

Watch
mozfadz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm going to a My Chemical Romance concert at Manchester Evening News Arena on 18th Feb. I've never been to their concert before or that type of music as I'm not really into it but going to keep a friend company and she's a mad fan although this will be her first concert.

We have standing tickets and she wants to be there for 2-3 which I thought is too early, I'll get tired waiting nevermind at the concert.

So what time would you recommend being there for to be near the front? The concert starts at 7.30
wangelo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should be there the night before.
krystalfox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wanted to know the same thing cause i am going to see rihanna and katy perry. i think 5-6 hours to get to the front.
mozfadz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
*jaw drops*

serious??
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to queue then go not too long before, say an hour at the most and then just shove through a bit. If you want to get to the front be ready for running and seriously long queuing.
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Around 1-2pm to get near the front.

I went to an Avenged Sevenfold concert (any of these bands with the silly little fan girls are the same), the screaming little teeny boppers are all there early so they have a chance of catching a drop of sweat flung off the wrist of their pretty idols.

We were there at that time because of when our coach got into London, and we were just at the front.

MCR has a similar problem with the fangirls, so it'll be the same kind of timing.
jellybeanjen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe it's necessary for emo kid bands, but I have never ever gotten to a gig and queued for anything more than an hour before doors (more often later), and I've never had trouble being able to push near enough to the front to have a decent view or be in a mosh pit if I wanted. Never underestimate the power of crazy fans I suppose!
eLECTROLOSIS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah... The longest I've waited for a band is 8 hours. Its worth it because you know that the band can see you aswell
tikkitak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
Yeah... The longest I've waited for a band is 8 hours. Its worth it because you know that the band can see you aswell
8 hours . Most of the bands I've seen, I just turn up 15 minutes before it starts and fight my way to the front. Although with MCR it'll probably be a completely different story.

Off topic, eLECTROLOSIS, I just read your sig and now all I have in my head is that bloomin' song! Pfft. I am not impressed.
tailschao
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends on the band, and I don't know MCR, but they're a big arena band - so I'd guess:

Night before to guarantee front row somewhere middleish.

Midday for 95% chance of first few rows.

1 hour before doors for good otherwise spot.

If you push past other people who have been queuing longer than you - you will burn for eternity in the fires of hell Seriously. Everyone in this thread who does such things deserves a good hard punch in the face.
Right here ---> And if I were to ever meet any of you, that is exactly what I would do. Yes, including the girls.
Mally-xo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mozfadz)
*jaw drops*

serious??
I have been to a fair few concerts (a lot of them at very big venues like Wembley in London) and the earliest I have ever started queueing was an hour before the doors opened.
apart from the people most desperate to be at the very front, I find that most people don't tend to squidge that close to the stage straight away as they will have like an hour till the first band starts (support acts first). if you have sharp elbows and raw determination, the front line is possible
beware of moody people who are pissed off at you though for pushing through haha.
username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Turn up maybe 30minutes before the main act is due on stage and worm your way as close to the front as you can. This is especially effective if you catch the end of the support act as there will be a mass exodus to the toilets/bar in preparation for the main event. When the lights go out everyone will push forward anyway, potentially halving the distance you are from the front. After the first couple of songs all the weaklings will start crying and either get pulled out by the safety stewards or retreat further back, again allowing you further forward (in the case of MCR, there will be lots of this) . Also crossing mosh pits allows you to make big steps forward for no effort (look both ways though).

The end result is that by playing it smart you will be close, if not actually at the front and you won't have wasted 5 hours of your life you could have spent doing something more productive.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you need to go to the toilet or coat room beforehand then theres no point getting there early at all.
I usually get there half an hour before, walk up the sides of the venue (where less people are) and push in a little, you don't get the crush of the front but you get the view and the pits.
Charlottie93
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mozfadz)
I'm going to a My Chemical Romance concert at Manchester Evening News Arena on 18th Feb. I've never been to their concert before or that type of music as I'm not really into it but going to keep a friend company and she's a mad fan although this will be her first concert.

We have standing tickets and she wants to be there for 2-3 which I thought is too early, I'll get tired waiting nevermind at the concert.

So what time would you recommend being there for to be near the front? The concert starts at 7.30

I normally go for 2 hours before if I'm standing but I'm claustophobic so I like to get in and be able to stand near to the doors rather then the front but I would say that an hour before hand would be plenty of time I mean remember you're going to be standing in a queue for an hour, then queue to be let into the hall, then standing for the support act, the interval and the main act which can get tedious if you don't like the band/aren't a huge fan although most times you're swept up with the atmosphere.

Have fun and oh btw it doesn't matter what time you get there everyone pushes to the front and you get stood on and all sorts btw how old are you? Just I know that at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle children under 14 aren't allowed to be on the floor (standing) just incase of MOSH pits e.t.c.
Svenjamin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to be on the barrier, then queue for 4 hours or so, maybe 5 if it's in the summer when queueing is a lot easier. If you want to be on the very front row you need to queue for 2-3 times as long as would be needed for 3rd or 4th row.

But otherwise, there's no point queueing for more than an hour at most with an arena gig. You can get within 10 rows of the front without much effort. The only problem with the MEN is they get all the standing people to sit down before the show so there is no crushing up before the support band starts. That narrows the time you have to nudge up front, but it's still possible.

Me and my friend went to see Arcade Fire a month ago at Central, he queued for 4 hours, I turned up as doors opened. He got front row on the barrier, I was 3rd row. MRC may have more queuers as they have mainly teenage fans, but it's an example of how futile queuing really is.
Alt__x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I turned up to Blink 182 about 20 minutes before the door opened and about 5-8 rows from the front, and could of got nearer if i was up for pushing a bit more
chemical_bex
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I saw MCR in Aberdeen a few years ago, I think doors opened at like 6.30 (?) and we got there around 3.30, we weren't first in the queue, but we were at the front, and got right at the stage

Although, when I saw them in Glasgow, people were there queuing in the morning, we drove past, I was like, **** that! :eek:
Crazy Paving
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
2-3 sounds about right tbh.
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It can depend on a lot of things :dontknow: I've turned up 10 minutes after doors opened for Green Day and ended up 4/5 rows from the front. I've turned up half an hour early for Blink 182 in the same venue and it was hopeless. Couldn't see a thing. MCR in particular I saw in a very small venue, got to the end of the queue just as they started letting people in, then stood around getting T-shirts for a while and still ended up fairly close to the front. The crush as people move forward when the main act comes on can take you a good distance closer =P However, if your friend wants to be right at the front then yeah, you'll have to start queing at crazy o'clock. You could always be cheeky and get her to queue early then join her later :mmm:
eLECTROLOSIS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tikkitak)
8 hours . Most of the bands I've seen, I just turn up 15 minutes before it starts and fight my way to the front. Although with MCR it'll probably be a completely different story.

Off topic, eLECTROLOSIS, I just read your sig and now all I have in my head is that bloomin' song! Pfft. I am not impressed.
8 hours for MUSE in Mcr and for U2 in Sheff. And yeah... Radiohead are great new album out in 2011 and I'd deffo queue for more than 8 hours to see them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (56)
14.51%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (97)
25.13%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.36%
I'm finding things difficult (132)
34.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.81%

Watched Threads