The Student Room Group

At uni, what's the difference between seminars, workshops, tutorials and lectures??

As the title says really :smile:
and sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't get it :s-smilie:

Would be so grateful if someone could help :smile: Thanks :smile:
Lectures: you sit in a lecture hall usually with 100 or so other students listening to a lecturer read out notes/a presentation and you take notes. Sometimes, rarely, they ask a question.

Seminars: small groups - usually between about 10-20 people on my class, where you are expected to have done the reading/prep work ready to discuss in class - usually backs up the lecture topic

Workshops - more active classes, where you might work in groups, do presentations, work on a project or something. Similar size to seminars usually.

Personally, I don't have 'tutorials' but I believe they are pretty similar to seminars.
-
Tends to differ across unis from what I gather. Like what I'd call a seminar is what my friends would call a tutorial, etc :yes:
Reply 3
lectures - listen to someone speak for 1:30 hours about a certain topic, the topic changes every week. You are expected to take notes. Sometimes you would have a "special" guest lecture.

Seminar - usually would dicuss the topic from the lecture. (normally 1 hour). Sometimes you are required to give mini presentations.

Workshop - give you advice on how to do a certain piece of coursework (usually production wise) (e.g if your designing a magazine cover, they would give you advice on how to do this,usually with demonstrations).Sometimes you would even do your coursework in a workshop.

Tutorials - you would discuss your academic progress with someone (e.g get feedback on your coursework).

Hope that helped.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.

Original post by AnonymousA

Thank you both of you :smile: just what I was looking for :smile:
I'll rep you when I can
(edited 13 years ago)
Never been to a tutorial or workshop........but lectures is where the material is taught and problem sheet(s) are given out. So, consequently, seminar is where you complete the problem sheets to understand the material taught and ask any questions you don't understand. Workshop is pretty much the same thing!
Reply 6
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
Lectures: you sit in a lecture hall usually with 100 or so other students listening to a lecturer read out notes/a presentation and you take notes. Sometimes, rarely, they ask a question.

Seminars: small groups - usually between about 10-20 people on my class, where you are expected to have done the reading/prep work ready to discuss in class - usually backs up the lecture topic

Workshops - more active classes, where you might work in groups, do presentations, work on a project or something. Similar size to seminars usually.

Personally, I don't have 'tutorials' but I believe they are pretty similar to seminars.
-

Do you get any assessment on seminars or workshops?:biggrin:
Reply 7
This is what it's like for me (Physics at Leeds - could be slightly different depending on course and uni). I don't have seminars.

Lectures - material is taught by lecturer and students take notes (to everyone taking that module)

Workshops - one for maths and one for physics. get given problem sheets to do during the workshop and there are helpers around the room to ask if you get stuck (same group size as lectures)

Tutorials - get given a few questions to do in advance for the tutorial and then go over them in the tutorial (groups of 4 students)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Lectures - as above, I tink that's the same for everyone.

Workshops - Get one-to-one help with a particular area within a module. You only attend if you are struggling. Not timetabled.

Tutorials - Questions are provided online in advance and are gone through in the tutorial, you aree't required to have tried the questions and it's not marked, just for help and you don't have to attend.

Labs - Practical work in the labs, sometimes may be marked, sometimes optional.

Never had a seminar.

So, basically, the answer is "it depends"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending