New_World_Order
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Does Mill follow the hedonic calculus because he believed in Princple Of utility = Act Utilitarianism

Or does he remove the Hedonic calculus to be replaced with Higher and Lower pleasures

But also goes on to be linked with Rule Utilitarianism.

Regards
No.1 Loner
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like your username, praise Lucifer and all that jazz. Anyway, from my knowlegde I only ever associate the hedonic calculus with Bentham and never came accross it being associated with Mill. You're right about the prioritising of qualitative pleasures for Mill and qualitative for Bentham. From what I recall I think Mill was against pleasures and pains being so easily quantified so many not have been a supporter of the hedonic calculus. But thats all I can share, I'm having to resit this so may not be the best source of knowlege.
cameronuk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think so. It was Jeremy Bentham that devised the Hedonic Calculus. I always thought Mill's Rule Utilitarianism and his qualitative pleasures belief contradicted the calculus.
matt.8768
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
J. Bentham came up with the Hedonic calculus but J.S. Mill developed Rule Utilitarianism as he believed in Utility within rules which is where the higher and lower pleasures come in Act Utilitarianism takes into account the action only.

Remember that Teleological theories say that rules must be kept to achieve the outcome whereas deontological theory's state that the action can be justified as long as the outcome is achieved.

Mill's theory was Deontological and Bentham's was Teleological.

There as an example we were told about a woman being raped by 3 guards this could be justified using Bentham's theory of the greatest good for the greatest number and is an easy to remember example of where this theory fails. It's not nice but easy to remember.

This should help but don't take it as blind truth as it's been a year since I did RS!

Good Luck!

*edit* Quote me in a reply if you have any other questions and I will do my best to help!
karateworm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd also assumed he rejected the hedonistic calculus.
Trying to PassAS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Deontological is right or wrong within itself. A priori
Teleological is the consequences. A posteriori
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads