The Student Room Group

Best Aussie Law School???

Well,i was thinking about Australia as my next study destination,but i am kinda confused that which is the BEST AUSTRALIAN LAW SCHOOL.(I was aiming at Australian National University but many of my friends told that it is having a poor Law Department and is a far better research Institute and that i should consider University of Melbourne)But after spending hours and hours of net surfing,i am still unable to have the respective information.Therefore,any help in this aspect will be much appreciated.OO Yeah,not mentioning the Sydney Institutes where the completion of a bachelor programme is a prerequisite for an LLB degree.
Reply 1
Griffith Law School at Griffith Uni in QLD, they have this thing called the Innocence Project.
Reply 2
WOW i just read your thread on boredofstudies!

the answer is still sydney, melbourne.
Reply 3
jordanv
WOW i just read your thread on boredofstudies!

the answer is still sydney, melbourne.

Lot of laughters....OK.
Chixidol
Lot of laughters....OK.

Haha I never tire of this... Melbourne!
Reply 5
Chixidol
Well,i was thinking about Australia as my next study destination,but i am kinda confused that which is the BEST AUSTRALIAN LAW SCHOOL.

All the members of the Group of 8 ( a bit like the UK G5 or perhaps the Russell Group ) have entirely adequate law schools. See www.go8.edu.au
Of these, the best are considered to be:

Sydney University
University of New South Wales
University of Melbourne

You could consider Sydney University to be the Australian equivalent of Oxford, UNSW our Cambridge, and Melbourne our LSE. The ANU is a respected research school and has some eminent faculty members. Unfortunately, it's undergraduate law school is merely adequate. I would compare it to KCL / Queen Mary.

As for Griffith University, it is not one of the G8. It is ranked 16th out of the 37 universities in Australia by a recent Melbourne Institute study. ie: it is our Kingston or Bangor. Coming to Australia to attend Griffith makes about as little sense as going to the UK to attend Kingston. Your own country probably has better universities that can be attended for a fraction of the cost.
Reply 6
poohbear
All the members of the Group of 8 ( a bit like the UK Russel Group ) have entirely adequate law schools. See www.go8.edu.au
Of these, the best are considered to be:

Sydney University
University of New South Wales
University of Melbourne

You could consider Sydney University to be our Oxford, UNSW our Cambridge, and Melbourne our LSE.

The ANU is a good research school and has some eminent faculty members ( Professor Peter Cane comes to mind...) Unfortunately, it's undergraduate law school is merely adequate. I would compare it to KCL.

As for Griffith, it is not one of the G8 and is ranked around 16th out of the 37 universities in Australia by a recent Melbourne Institute study. ie: it is our Kingston or Bangor.

Perhaps the other poster was thinking about the University of Queensland, which is an excellent university overall, but has a law school that is not quite up to the level of the rest of the university. ( Call it Manchester or Nottingham if you like )

DISCLOSURE:
I am doing law at UNSW but I have tried to avoid bias

LOL UNSW = Cambridge?! You have to be joking. UNSW is good, but it is not well known for law compared to some other Aus unis. Melbourne would be far ahead of UNSW anyday.

If you want prestige, go to Melbourne or Sydney. Those 2 are always mentioned first when talking about prestigious, sand stone law schools.

But if you want to come to Melbourne:
If you want a more progressive course, go to Monash. Melbourne is known as being very theoretical, not much hands on work. Monash is known in industry as being progressive, very practical (required to undertake an ethical subject each year, where you solve ethical problems). You can undertake subjects where you actually work in a law firm, or represent real clients in court - and they all count to your degree. I have friends who have been to both, Melbourne students think it's ok - the prestige and nice building are the reasons they stay. But I hear no end of complaints about the poor quality of lecturers. Actually some of my friends who transferred to Melbourne for the prestige factor are now desperately trying to transfer back to Monash! :biggrin: Monash has fantastic lecturers & tutors, really friendly, helpful etc. I have never met a bad one!

But really, there isnt much difference between the 2 - prestige is really the main difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending