Verbal Incontinence Syndrome (VIS) & American Paranoia Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
The recent news that a British woman has been arrested in an American airport for joking that she had a bomb in her bag is quite unnerving. If saying stupid things is an arrestable offence, why is Prince Philip not locked up in Strangeways, and why is Mr Bush not on deathrow? Civil liberties aside, if saying something moronic is a crime, then a lot of people are in trouble.

Are the Americans paranoid? After 9/11 it is fair to say that they have a justifiable reason to be, but maybe this is going slightly too far. How difficult can it be to simply look in her bag and see if there is, indeed, a bomb? Calling in bomb removal experts and placing her under arrest seems rather foolish, especially when she was tried in court and only released on bail.

Telling the Americans to 'lighten up', or telling English people not to say stupid things is not very likely to work. So, until a better solution can be found, all people diagnosed with VIS should be isolated and studied, so that we can learn from them, and ensure that this type of incident can be avoided in future.

Rant over.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
The recent news that a British woman has been arrested in an American airport for joking that she had a bomb in her bag is quite unnerving. If saying stupid things is an arrestable offence, why is Prince Philip not locked up in Strangeways, and why is Mr Bush not on deathrow? Civil liberties aside, if saying something moronic is a crime, then a lot of people are in trouble.

Are the Americans paranoid? After 9/11 it is fair to say that they have a justifiable reason to be, but maybe this is going slightly too far. How difficult can it be to simply look in her bag and see if there is, indeed, a bomb? Calling in bomb removal experts and placing her under arrest seems rather foolish, especially when she was tried in court and only released on bail.

Telling the Americans to 'lighten up', or telling English people not to say stupid things is not very likely to work. So, until a better solution can be found, all people diagnosed with VIS should be isolated and studied, so that we can learn from them, and ensure that this type of incident can be avoided in future.

Rant over.
Theres a difference between being stupid, and saying you've got a bomb!
But your right. But where would half the population be isolated?
Mr White
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Theres a difference between being stupid, and saying you've got a bomb!
But your right. But where would half the population be isolated?
Send them to work in the acid mines.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Send them to work in the acid mines.
... fair enough.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How difficult can it be to simply look in her bag and see if there is, indeed, a bomb?
That wouldn't be advisable if there really was a bomp and it was set off by opening the bag.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
That wouldn't be advisable if there really was a bomp and it was set off by opening the bag.
What are the X-ray machine thingies for then?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
At least they'd know though!
Mr White
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
It was going through one of those X-Ray machines at the time, so it would have been fairly obvious that there was no bomb.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
they do go a bit mad about it don't they - i walked 5 metres away from my suitcase at L.A.X. and they all started going mad - 'whose is this bag???????????????? - DON'T DO THAT - YOU SCARE US WHEN YOU DO THAT' - was very over-dramatic
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
they do go a bit mad about it don't they - i walked 5 metres away from my suitcase at L.A.X. and they all started going mad - 'whose is this bag???????????????? - DON'T DO THAT - YOU SCARE US WHEN YOU DO THAT' - was very over-dramatic
Yeah. And its stupid as well, because most terrorist bombers kill themselves in the blast, so why would they leave their bag?
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It was going through one of those X-Ray machines at the time, so it would have been fairly obvious that there was no bomb.
yeah, i think they where a bit stupid to see that there was no bomb and then lock her up for saying that there was.

but then again, she did say it three times, at different checks. she should have known that the joke has worn off by now.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
YEAH! I did that in my medical school and security went crazy so i dread to think how americans react.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Yeah. And its stupid as well, because most terrorist bombers kill themselves in the blast, so why would they leave their bag?
Maybe it's a new breed of terrorists - logical ones.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Logical terrorists? Rather contradictory? HEHE
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
On an almost completely unrelated point, how do people with metal plates in their head get through security?
Because surely someone could plant a bomb in their head, say it was a metal plate and get through if it was as simple as just saying that you had a metal plate!!!
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think she should get some sort of punishment to show her the consequences of being stupid, but i think a night in the cells and a hefty fine would be more than sufficient.
Mr White
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
yeah, i think they where a bit stupid to see that there was no bomb and then lock her up for saying that there was.

but then again, she did say it three times, at different checks. she should have known that the joke has worn off by now.
Nobody has any pity for her, because she brought it on herself. Knowing how paranoid Americans are, you'd have to borderline retarded to make a joke about bombs at an airport.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
exactly - and I DON'T look like a bloody terrorist. It was so embarrassing - everyone was just staring - like I'd murdered someone or something - I think they are too paranoid
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Come of it. Now your just being stupid.
People who cause terror for terrors sake dont know what logic is.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
exactly - and I DON'T look like a bloody terrorist. It was so embarrassing - everyone was just staring - like I'd murdered someone or something - I think they are too paranoid
So your saying that anyone who doesn't look like a terrorist should be left alone?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (215)
67.82%
No (102)
32.18%

Watched Threads