The Student Room Group

Multi national companies with underpayed workers

Everyone is aware of the problem. On the one hand, multinational companies tend to use heavily underpayed workers in poor countries to manufacture goods they can later sell for loads of money in the western world. On the other hand, had these companies not done so, these underpayed workers would have been even poorer and may even be starving. The question is what can be done. It is unlikely that a company would increase their wages on their own, as this would give them a competative disadvantage as compared to companies with low wages.
Reply 1
Jonatan
Everyone is aware of the problem. On the one hand, multinational companies tend to use heavily underpayed workers in poor countries to manufacture goods they can later sell for loads of money in the western world. On the other hand, had these companies not done so, these underpayed workers would have been even poorer and may even be starving. The question is what can be done. It is unlikely that a company would increase their wages on their own, as this would give them a competative disadvantage as compared to companies with low wages.

Underpayed? They are paid what the market will accommodate in those countries. In labor intensive countries, labor is cheap.
Reply 2
Howard
Underpayed? They are paid what the market will accommodate in those countries. In labor intensive countries, labor is cheap.

And that's just fine.
:rolleyes:
Reply 3
Eternal Idol
And that's just fine.
:rolleyes:

Suggestions?
Reply 4
Howard
Suggestions?

Don't kiss the establishment balls?
Reply 5
Eternal Idol
Don't kiss the establishment balls?

I'll take that as a "no"
Reply 6
Howard
I'll take that as a "no"

I'm not a dreamer and I know that I can't fix it but I'm not a fool either and don't deny its existence.
At the end of the day there is always going to be poor people and rich people within the world, with the rich exploiting the poor. It will never level out, thats just a fantasy some unrealistic people have. Its harsh but thats life.
Reply 8
Joey_Johns
At the end of the day there is always going to be poor people and rich people within the world, with the rich exploiting the poor. It will never level out, thats just a fantasy some unrealistic people have. Its harsh but thats life.

That´s not what it is all about, the development is about people having the same chances - a person who works the same workload as another should gain the same output.
Jonatan

Underpaid compared to us but their lowly wages might be exactly what they expect. At least these multinational companies are giving them jobs.
ben2111
That´s not what it is all about, the development is about people having the same chances - a person who works the same workload as another should gain the same output.

The world doesnt work like that.
Reply 11
It's just the capitalist market economy.

Latest

Trending

Trending