Airport security - a show for the public. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Do anyone else here feel that the security checks on airports are quite silly? I mean, my mother was pulled aside and questioned because she had a 2 inch nail file in her purse. Meanwhile people were walking by with 60% Vodka botles. I mean think about it. Comnpared to a pop bottle a 2 inch nail file is not a very potent weapon. Add on that you are allowed to carry matches, napkins and bottles containing almost pure alcohol (better known as Molotov cocktails ) on the flight. Seriously, if five terrorists manage to hijack a plane with three hundred passangers using only 3 inch long carpet knives, I bet they could manage quite well by smashing a wine bottle from the taxfree...
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Do anyone else here feel that the security checks on airports are quite silly? I mean, my mother was pulled aside and questioned because she had a 2 inch nail file in her purse. Meanwhile people were walking by with 60% Vodka botles. I mean think about it. Comnpared to a pop bottle a 2 inch nail file is not a very potent weapon. Add on that you are allowed to carry matches, napkins and bottles containing almost pure alcohol (better known as Molotov cocktails ) on the flight. Seriously, if five terrorists manage to hijack a plane with three hundred passangers using only 3 inch long carpet knives, I bet they could manage quite well by smashing a wine bottle from the taxfree...
I agree with your assessment. I think it's a crime in itself that air-lines allow people to carry their lighters and matches aboard (which can be used to start a fire onboard) purely because of the pressure put on them by the cigarette companies - "our customers must be able to light their cigarettes as soon as allowable".
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok but a nail file can be used to open the cockpit or threaten some 1
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by love_4_ducks)
ok but a nail file can be used to open the cockpit or threaten some 1
and its to mk the public feel more safe
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If somebody is going to hi-jack a plane, there's not much anybody can do to stop them.

Terrorists do not think: "Oh no, the new airport security measures mean we can't bomb the plane I guess that's our plans down the drain"

They'll just find new ways of bypassing security, just as hackers and crackers find new ways around computer security systems.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My dad freaking wrote those rules and if we didn't have them in place and there was a hikjacking my dad would be in a load of crap, there should be 100% screening baggage and people and 1 in three should be taken for checks because of ceramic pistols, plastic explosives and other things that don't show up in metal detectors.

I went to New York and I was dragged of 5 ...yes 5 times. I didn't mind though because I knew they were doing it for a reason and then they decided they weren't going to let me on the plane and I started schizing and saying about who my dad was and they let me go, which to this day I find very very scary
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it is necessary, if it only saves one life surely its worth the fuss?

However I'm not convinced it works that well....I nearly flew back to the UK with a pair of kitchen scizzors in my hand luggage...I realised after going through ALL the security and then went back and spoke to the security people and gave them to them...they thanked me etc but didn't seem all that concerned that they hadn't spotted them in spite of all the checks! (& this was after 9/11, made me worry a bit!)
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A few years ago i was flying to Israel i think, security was so tight. They threw away some scissors my mum had in her bag. They took a nail file and a little leatherman (swiss army knife thing). So we're on the plane and we get served our food with Metal cutlery, it's seemed a bit contradictory. Also usually you can just pop in to Boots in the departure lounge and buy scissors, knives, bottles and take it on the plane. Which doesn't make sense.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's good there's tight secuirty...or i guess supposed tight secuirity, i fly to the states a lot to visit my cousins and will probably go over there more frequently when my parents move there...i just feel safer...and the high levels of secuirty measures have so far impressed me.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
International security has always been good and there isn't much to be afraid of, be afraid of american internal flights.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I went to New York and I was dragged of 5 ...yes 5 times. I didn't mind though because I knew they were doing it for a reason and then they decided they weren't going to let me on the plane and I started schizing and saying about who my dad was and they let me go, which to this day I find very very scary
Um, who is your dad?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did you here about the security guard that made a new mother drink her own breast milk because he thought it was poison? *shudders*
Chima
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
did you here about the security guard that made a new mother drink her own breast milk because he thought it was poison? *shudders*
that's sick. where u hear that from?
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what the HELL?!?! surely thats gotta be illegal somehow? safety is one thing, but jeez! how are you going to hijack a flight with poison, anyway?!

"hey, gimma the controls or i'll put this poisoned milk in your coffee"

thats just ridiculous [/rant over]
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
what the HELL?!?! surely thats gotta be illegal somehow? safety is one thing, but jeez! how are you going to hijack a flight with poison, anyway?!

"hey, gimma the controls or i'll put this poisoned milk in your coffee"

thats just ridiculous [/rant over]

i saw it on the news........yes it is ridiculous.. in the name of "safety".

i will end witha quote from a widely reknown american hero, ben franklin.

"the man who gives up liberty up for safety, deserves niether."
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ben franklin.

"the man who gives up liberty up for safety, deserves niether."
Thats a wise quote from a wise man.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Thats a wise quote from a wise man.

indeed, as matt would say.

hey 2776 could you give me some rep, the newbie has struck again taking my THIRD gem with him! :mad:
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
indeed, as matt would say.

hey 2776 could you give me some rep, the newbie has struck again taking my THIRD gem with him! :mad:
I told you to make a note of how much rep was taken each time. So tell me.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I told you to make a note of how much rep was taken each time. So tell me.

well like im not sure because i dont get on every day, and i usually get about 2 a day, which tells me that either a. he has anouther user name

or b. anouther person and him are in this together......
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well like im not sure because i dont get on every day, and i usually get about 2 a day, which tells me that either a. he has anouther user name

or b. anouther person and him are in this together......
Are the rep given out at a similar time, ie straight after each other?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads