The Student Room Group

AQA A2 LAW-Unit 3- REVISION

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caarl
ive revised loads for this paper, just need to go over reforms and I think im set! Im gonna answer it using idea and applying it by going through the order of which I have it in my head.

Nice to see that you're confident:smile: How did you do in the AS units??
Original post by pinda.college
:wink:I think writing the essay first is good in a sense that you know you've bagged yourself some marks, no matter what. Just be strict and realistic and stop writing the essay after 30 minutes. Last year, an A2 student did the essay and spent 1 hour on it. They got full marks on the essay (no susprise there) however, only 15 marks from both the scenarios.

I think balancing the time is half the battle! I'm quite confident in applying the defences but I'm going to keep reading my notes to drill it in my head, until it becomes second nature.

You??

Haha yeah, if the exam was 2 hours long instead 1 and a half it would be easy!

I know self-defence, consent and insanity well. I think the only other defence worth knowing is intoxication lol. Apart from that, I just need to learn the reforms and keep going over non-fatal offences and voluntary manslaughter :smile:

I wish you luck!
Original post by Alex-jc123

I know self-defence, consent and insanity well. I think the only other defence worth knowing is intoxication lol. Apart from that, I just need to learn the reforms and keep going over non-fatal offences and voluntary manslaughter :smile:

I wish you luck!

Likewise, I too wish you look:tongue: You've put the work in so I don't see why you wouldn't do well.

I'm just condensing my non-fatal offences essay into bullet points atm, off to bed in about an hour:yawn:
Likewise, I too wish you look:tongue: You've put the work in so I don't see why you wouldn't do well.

I'm just condensing my non-fatal offences essay into bullet points atm, off to bed in about an hour:yawn:

Haha I am just terrified about getting an A instead of an A* :frown:

I strongly doubt that non-fatals will come up! They came up the last two times, according to my teacher; the most likely one will be murder and voluntary manslaughter as it is the last year before the new law is taught. But I would be most comfortable with general defences :biggrin:
Reply 64
How many criticisms/reforms are you looking to write, and how many pages??

I've got about 4 criticisms per essay with 1/2 reforms, each being roughly 2 and a half pages long.

hi my teacher said for the general defences you only talk about to defences for critiscims and only one of them for the reforms
is this right?
Original post by LittleLily
Ok this might sound very stupid as I'm asking so late but can you explain what is in each section... A), B), and C).

A) Scenario question on non-fatal offence/s
B) Scenario question on murder/manslaughter
C) Evaluation and refor on either: Murder
Defences
Non-fatal offences
Original post by nutty257
hi my teacher said for the general defences you only talk about to defences for critiscims and only one of them for the reforms
is this right?

Talk about 2 defences, and criticise/suggest reforms for both of them.
Haha I am just terrified about getting an A instead of an A* :frown:

I strongly doubt that non-fatals will come up! They came up the last two times, according to my teacher; the most likely one will be murder and voluntary manslaughter as it is the last year before the new law is taught. But I would be most comfortable with general defences :biggrin:

According to my teacher 'defences' essay is the most likely to come up. She said that AQA aren't going to ask a 'murder' essay because there'll be students applying the new coroners law in the murder scenarios, and the new law hasn't been around long enough for us to critisise it. Just to clear things up, I've studied the new law.
Reply 68
does anyone have like exempler answers for critical analysis on murder, voluntray manslaugter or defences??? :confused:
Original post by mohima33
does anyone have like exempler answers for critical analysis on murder, voluntray manslaugter or defences??? :confused:

Not an example, but I've got the one I've prepared for the exam:wink:
According to my teacher 'defences' essay is the most likely to come up. She said that AQA aren't going to ask a 'murder' essay because there'll be students applying the new coroners law in the murder scenarios, and the new law hasn't been around long enough for us to critisise it. Just to clear things up, I've studied the new law.

I hope your teacher is right haha. My teachers are absolutely useless and only teach us enough to get a C/D!

How many cases in total do you think you know for the exam?
Reply 71
Not an example, but I've got the one I've prepared for the exam:wink:

well i guess someones prepared for their exam :tongue: care to share? x)
Reply 72
Nice to see that you're confident:smile: How did you do in the AS units??

I got 76 and 77 UMS marks (both high B's) which I am very happy with as I had 10 exams in June thus my revision was spread very thinly.
Reply 73
I hope your teacher is right haha. My teachers are absolutely useless and only teach us enough to get a C/D!

Dont think it will have any effect the coroners act 2009. Rang AQA up and they said they wont add that law until 2012 to the syllabus.

I'm familiar with the cases involving murder/partial defences. I need to improve my cases for the other defences though:frown:

The exam's a week tomorrow, do you think I'll be able to cover everything again within 7 days? I plan on starting from scratch and learning everything again tomorrow morning.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm familiar with the cases involving murder/partial defences. I need to improve my cases for the other defences though:frown:

The exam's a week tomorrow, do you think I'll be able to cover everything again within 7 days? I plan on starting from scratch and learning everything again tomorrow morning.

Yes, you can. You do not have to do involuntary manslaughter and you really only need to talk of the mens rea for murder (unless you want to be cocky and describe a case where a lawful killing took place, such as that of R v Malcherek and Steel (1981)). I think it would take 3 hours a day for 5 days; but doing a little more a day would perfect your knowledge.

Have you applied to university for law?
Reply 76
A grade B is 56/80, so you need to roughly get 18/25 on each question and get half the marks for spelling, punctuation and grammar.

A piece of advice: do not waste time by trying to master both voluntary and involuntary manslaughter; you need only be comfortable with one as the two scenarios that come up will have different possible liabilities. But the hard and unfair thing is that you have to learn all three reform essays! :frown:

Hi, this was true before but this year the exam board has changed it so that you can't just learn one or the other. They have hinted that in this years exam it is likley we will have to dicuss both murder/voluntary manslughter and involuntary manslughter for the same question. Instead of asking about D's criminal liability for the 'murder' of V or the 'involuntary manslaughter' of V it will ask for the 'death' og V so you have to discuss both. Good news is if they do that you won't have to go into as much depth with each and there will be less complex issues.

I wish you luck!

Sorry but in part C, you only have to evaluate two defences right..?! Any two of your choice?
Reply 78
Original post by Geostar17

Original post by Geostar17
Hi, this was true before but this year the exam board has changed it so that you can't just learn one or the other. They have hinted that in this years exam it is likley we will have to dicuss both murder/voluntary manslughter and involuntary manslughter for the same question. Instead of asking about D's criminal liability for the 'murder' of V or the 'involuntary manslaughter' of V it will ask for the 'death' og V so you have to discuss both. Good news is if they do that you won't have to go into as much depth with each and there will be less complex issues.

That notice was also around last year though, and there were still two scenarios. My teacher said by combining both into one question goes against the whole purpose of A2 exams (discussing in more depth) as there is not a chance in hell you could describe explain and apply both areas of law in 25mins to the level of detail they're looking for! What is more likely to happen is that on both questions they may put 'discuss liability for the death of...' just so you have to assess yourself which area the scenario falls under, meaning that you would have to know what both areas are about in order to make that decision
Reply 79
Original post by JH-QC
That notice was also around last year though, and there were still two scenarios. My teacher said by combining both into one question goes against the whole purpose of A2 exams (discussing in more depth) as there is not a chance in hell you could describe explain and apply both areas of law in 25mins to the level of detail they're looking for! What is more likely to happen is that on both questions they may put 'discuss liability for the death of...' just so you have to assess yourself which area the scenario falls under, meaning that you would have to know what both areas are about in order to make that decision

I agree that it would be hard but in a meeting the cheif examiner told my teacher it very likely to come up this year. It will probably be that there are no issues in establishing one and the other fails at the first test therefore meaning you don't have to fully write everything for both out

Quick Reply

Latest