The Student Room Group

Do you consider 'platonic' kissing on the lips with a guyfriend to be cheating?

My girlfriend told me when she's drunk she kisses her friends - both guys and girls - on the lips like when saying goodbye or something. But not unattractive friends because that's 'gross'.

Personally I think kissing on the lips - platonic or no - crosses a line, is totally inappropriate and does equal cheating - albeit mild, but then all forms of cheating are bad. I know she would never do it in front of me, and if she had I would probably lose it.

Also she has cheated on both of her previous boyfriends at the end of last year and beginning of this year. I know the past is the past, but it still causes me to lose trust in her. She's also quite thoughtless and spontaneous when she's drunk and does and says stupid things like blurting out hurtful things about people. Knowing this and that she kisses her guyfriends, just makes me lose trust in her, especially as it's a long distance relationship. I do love her, but I don't know what to do since she's not really apologetic about it but has said she won't kiss guys again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah, that defo crosses the line into cheating. not on the cheek maybe, but definitely on the lips.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My girlfriend told me when she's drunk she kisses her friends - both guys and girls - on the lips like when saying goodbye or something. But not unattractive friends because that's 'gross'.

Personally I think kissing on the lips - platonic or no - crosses a line, is totally inappropriate and does equal cheating - albeit mild, but then all forms of cheating are bad. I know she would never do it in front of me, and if she had I would probably lose it.

Also she has cheated on both of her previous boyfriends at the end of last year and beginning of this year. I know the past is the past, but it still causes me to lose trust in her. She's also quite thoughtless and spontaneous when she's drunk and does and says stupid things like blurting out hurtful things about people. Knowing this and that she kisses her guyfriends, just makes me lose trust in her, especially as it's a long distance relationship. I do love her, but I don't know what to do since she's not really apologetic about it but has said she won't kiss guys again.

So you're her third boyfriend in a matter of weeks? :s-smilie:
If I want to kiss my male friend in a platonic way, I will kiss him on the cheek. If I kiss someone on the lips, it is sexual.
Since when is kissing a member of the opposite sex on the lips platonic?
I'd be incredibly angry and the fact she only does it with attractive friends suggests it isn't platonic. Don't stand for it.
Reply 6
She said she won't do it again. I don't know what else to do to be honest especially given we're long distance. Threaten to end it sounds a bit far...and I don't really want to.

Hmm, depends how long and how "intimate" the kiss would actually be.

What about if a girl touches up (not in that way) another man? I.e. really caressing him (not down there) and all that?
I was OK with that until the bit about unattractive friends. Yeah, I'd be really pissed off.
YES

Kiss on lips = cheating.
Reply 10
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes. You're so dumb.
Personally I think kissing on the lips - platonic or no - crosses a line, is totally inappropriate and does equal cheating

Do you mean just guys, or guys and girls? I'm asking because despite all the guys I've dated knowing I'm bi, they have never had a problem with me kissing girls goodbye on the lips.

I kiss my closest friends on the lips, but more often girls than guys. I probably wouldn't kiss a guy on the lips whilst I had a boyfriend though (more to keep the peace, not because I think that it is inherently wrong).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Yes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by sunlightxstarbright
I'd be incredibly angry and the fact she only does it with attractive friends suggests it isn't platonic. Don't stand for it.

She said she won't do it again. I don't know what else to do to be honest especially given we're long distance. Threaten to end it sounds a bit far...and I don't really want to.

What do I do?
Platonic when drunk, with a history of cheating, long distance... All points in one direction for me.. don't stand for it.

Of course I'm speaking as someone who doesn't know her and going purely by what I've read.
If both people in the relationship were OK with it and did it, I don't think it would be wrong (unlike further kissing or sex, which I think would still be wrong), but if one half is uncomfortable with it then I wouldn't be happy with it.
What do I do?

You said she isn't apologetic about it? She needs to be. What she's done is downright wrong by your standards and she needs to acknowledge that. You need to try and make her understand that she's betrayed you in your eyes.
Original post by TheHeart
Anon fail.

thats cruel, to quote the anon fail so even if the OP deleted the post its still there for the world to see
Reply 19
I'm not a kissy person. Some people are and will go for the lips. I think this is fine as long as it's a peck.

e.g. Gay friend leaving a party pecks you, and everyone else, on the lips. It's fine.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending