The Student Room Group

Tess of the D'Urbervilles Settings Revision

Could someone be so kind as to give:

Make a list of the settings in the Tess of the D'Urbervilles with page references.

Along with a similar list for A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, for revision purposes. Thanks in advance - rep will also be given, of course.
Reply 1
Bump!!!!
Reply 2
Flintcombe Ash represents Tess’ death and suffering: “starve-acre place”, “cloaking grey mist”, “uncared for by either itself or its lord”, “desolate drab”.The Slopes (Alec’s Home) represents oppression of nature and Alec’s exploitation: “everything looked like money”, “I thought we were an old family but this is all new”Stone Henge symbolises paganism and Tess’ sacrifice: “you used to say at Talbothay’s I was a heathen. So now I am home”Marlott represents pre-Christian values and un-touched nature: “secluded part for the most untrodden”, “fertile and sheltered”Talbothay’s represents Tess’ peace and happiness (a reference to Eden): “Happy tract of land where summer had been liberal in her gifts”, “as if they were Adam and Eve”, “sunny romantic Talbothay’s.”The Chase represents danger, prehistoric values and exploitation: “undoubted primeval date”, “a faint luminous fog(…) enveloped them”, “it seemed to hold the moonlight in suspension.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending