The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

kirstenb
oh right!!! does anyone in here go to private school?

Errm...Im from a "voluntarily-Aided school", so i dont really know whether that counts as private or not :tongue: Its a grammar school but it aint posh :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
SiAnY
Has anyone been there or know anyone who has? I heard Collingwood is a great college to live in. Which others are good? Is Durham a nice place? I want to study BA Geography there btw

Durham is so so so so so so so so so cool! Cuths is the best college (society) by far!!!!!!!!!!!!
AveHan
Durham is so so so so so so so so so cool! Cuths is the best college (society) by far!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is St Cuthbert a college? Im confuseeeeeeed
kenkennykenken
Errm...Im from a "voluntarily-Aided school", so i dont really know whether that counts as private or not :tongue: Its a grammar school but it aint posh :biggrin:

Yours is a state school.

St Cuth's is a college.

Collingwood's the best!

J.
Reply 24
no it's not!

Cuths is not a college, it is a society, which yeah is technically just a different name for a college, but we are better than all the colleges and our bar opens 8 hours before yours so there.

Collingwood is my 2nd favourite tho, everyone there seems fun
Reply 25
Mark_KK
Oh well you got two of those right.

which two?
Reply 26
charlord
which two?

Its full of beer and tits.

I am just wondering in what context the word "tits" was used :smile:.
i didn't much like collingwood when i went there. it seemed a bit stuck up and its bar was full of really rude people. they were really mean to the friend i was visiting because she didn't go to their college, really really mean. and we drank in many of the college bars, and that was the only one where anyone was crap. i've applied to grey - it seems friendly and nice and they have a cheese society.
covered farm wa
i didn't much like collingwood when i went there. it seemed a bit stuck up and its bar was full of really rude people. they were really mean to the friend i was visiting because she didn't go to their college, really really mean. and we drank in many of the college bars, and that was the only one where anyone was crap. i've applied to grey - it seems friendly and nice and they have a cheese society.

Lol hmm...Grey, thats just next to Van Mildert! What subject are you applyin for there?
Reply 29
ben2111
OK I specify, what does he mean with "extension of the public school system"?

Weeell, it has a rather large proportion of students from public school. Public School in the UK refers independent schools, these are fee based, and are actually quite exclusive, i.e. Eton, Harrow, Winchester and the like. Now, as only 1/5 or less (or thereabouts) of students from each of these schools actually make it into Oxbridge, the system needs to accommodate the rest of them.

This is were Durham steps in. It even provides a collegiate system, which on paper seems rather like Oxbridge, even though there are some notable differences, which arise out of the disparity in funding between Oxbridge and Durham. It keeps them happy, and at times they even start to think they're AT Oxford, suppose the collegiate system has this effect.
J.S.
Weeell, it has a rather large proportion of students from public school. Public School in the UK refers independent schools, these are fee based, and are actually quite exclusive, i.e. Eton, Harrow, Winchester and the like. Now, as only 1/5 or less (or thereabouts) of students from each of these schools actually make it into Oxbridge, the system needs to accommodate the rest of them.

This is were Durham steps in. It even provides a collegiate system, which on paper seems rather like Oxbridge, even though there are some notable differences, which arise out of the disparity in funding between Oxbridge and Durham. It keeps them happy, and at times they even start to think they're AT Oxford, suppose the collegiate system has this effect.

Its a good uni, and thats why the people who were unsucessful with their Oxbridge applications decide to go there. And its collegiate system, its only there because its one of the oldest universities in the UK, and thats how traditional unis were, and not because it is to make people think its AT Oxford. Oh well i dunno :rolleyes:
Reply 31
kenkennykenken
Hmm whats all that meant to mean? That Durham is just a lower-down version of Oxbridge? That aint what Durham's about. Its a good uni, and thats why the people who were unsucessful with their Oxbridge applications decide to go there. And its collegiate system, its only there because its one of the oldest universities in the UK, and thats how traditional unis were, and not because it is to make people think its AT Oxford as you say.

Hmm...actually many people unsuccessful with Oxbridge are now opting not to go there, which is why Durhams a/v A level grades score across the univ. doesn't even make it into the top 10.

As for age/collegiate system, UCL's a clear exception. Not sure about the others, wonder if anyone can shed light. Partiuclarly wondering about the Scots, at Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews, I get the feeling that only the latter of those (possibly) is collegiate.
hornblower
Yours is a state school.

St Cuth's is a college.

Collingwood's the best!

J.

I Beg to disagree... Hatfield is clearly the best, and those that claim to hate it, are only secretly jealous
Reply 33
presebjenada
I Beg to disagree... Hatfield is clearly the best, and those that claim to hate it, are only secretly jealous

You know what guys? That everybody finds a different college to be the best really calms me down! I really thought (think) I made the wrong choice but looking at the fanatism here... None of them can be too bad!! Only stupid here does not seem to be anybody who made the same choice as me :mad:
ben2111
You know what guys? That everybody finds a different college to be the best really calms me down! I really thought (think) I made the wrong choice but looking at the fanatism here... None of them can be too bad!! Only stupid here does not seem to be anybody who made the same choice as me :mad:

What college are you going to and what subject you studyin?
Reply 35
kenkennykenken
What college are you going to and what subject you studyin?

I applied for physics and chose St. Chads College (I was in quite a rush because of the deadline...).
ben2111
I applied for physics and chose St. Chads College (I was in quite a rush because of the deadline...).

woohoo! im doing physics too, but im going to van mildert. i know someone going to st chad's tho, v. religious apparently
Reply 37
kenkennykenken
woohoo! im doing physics too, but im going to van mildert. i know someone going to st chad's tho, v. religious apparently

haha two threads crossed... yeah I know I really missed the religioun thing when I applied as I mentioned earlieron... blo*dy hell! I am soooo stupid.
Reply 38
But anyway I have to get in first ;-) How possible is it actually to change college?
ben2111
But anyway I have to get in first ;-) How possible is it actually to change college?

Wouldn't it annoy them a bit if you changed colleges? but yeah...st chad wud be v. v. cool if it wasnt so religious

Latest

Trending

Trending