The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
kenkennykenken
Wouldn't it annoy them a bit if you changed colleges? but yeah...st chad wud be v. v. cool if it wasnt so religious

As long as I get into another one I wouldnt give a sh*t... ;-)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
ben2111
As long as I get into another one I wouldnt give a sh*t... ;-)

hehe thats true. what college are you going to apply to? *hint* VAN MILDERT!!! there are ducks :biggrin:
Reply 42
kenkennykenken
hehe thats true. what college are you going to apply to? *hint* VAN MILDERT!!! there are ducks :biggrin:

Oh these world famous ducks... no I would apply to cuthberts, collingwood is very overrun, I doubt I would have chances...
ben2111
Oh these world famous ducks... no I would apply to cuthberts, collingwood is very overrun, I doubt I would have chances...

This is turned into a conversation since we are all online right now :tongue: but anyway, is Cuthberts one of the colleges in town? Or is it one of the hill colleges?
Reply 44
kenkennykenken
This is turned into a conversation since we are all online right now :tongue: but anyway, is Cuthberts one of the colleges in town? Or is it one of the hill colleges?

it is in town, I think I prefer that. But at the moment I would be quite tolerant about alternatives, religion is REALLY not my cup of tea... even though nobody could tell me so far how religious chads is and how that affects a non-religious student...
heres some quotes from really really old posts:

"...Chads: also very religious but it is so small and apparently has one of the best communities in the Uni as everybody knows everybody. accomodation is alright but nothing special apparently. again bar is stupidly small and dark."

and

"...It shouldn't really be a problem if you're not religious, although John's is the most religious college in Durham really, even more so than Chads, and quite evangelical."

and

"...Chad's and John's were set up as religious institutions shortly afterwards."

But it might not actually be that religious. and its probably a realy nice college too
Reply 46
kenkennykenken
heres some quotes from really really old posts:

"...Chads: also very religious but it is so small and apparently has one of the best communities in the Uni as everybody knows everybody. accomodation is alright but nothing special apparently. again bar is stupidly small and dark."

and

"...It shouldn't really be a problem if you're not religious, although John's is the most religious college in Durham really, even more so than Chads, and quite evangelical."

and

"...Chad's and John's were set up as religious institutions shortly afterwards."

But it might not actually be that religious. and its probably a realy nice college too

You know I dont mind so much, I jsut cant help trying to do everything perfect... guess everybody has that at some time!
I actually worry more about the people applying there, but that is probably a total prejudice too and they are cool like everywhere! ;-)
ben2111
You know I dont mind so much, I jsut cant help trying to do everything perfect... guess everybody has that at some time!
I actually worry more about the people applying there, but that is probably a total prejudice too and they are cool like everywhere! ;-)

Solution to how to change colleges on the other post! lol
Reply 48
kenkennykenken
Solution to how to change colleges on the other post! lol

Solution ?!? ;-)
ben2111
Solution ?!? ;-)

Err.....................a solution to your problem of not liking a religious college :tongue:
Reply 50
kenkennykenken
Err.....................a solution to your problem of not liking a religious college :tongue:

True! ;-) I know I sound a bit ridiculous...
ben2111
True! ;-) I know I sound a bit ridiculous...

I agree :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: lol jk
Reply 52
ben2111

I'm Principal of St Chad's and you'd probably get a kick out of visiting us. True we have a religious foundation, and there are a bunch of us who are ordained, but we're not in your face with religion: quite the opposite. Very few of our students would describe themselves as religious, and they tend to choose us because of our academic emphasis and our moderate size (375 students). I'd think we are among the most tolerant and open of any college -- but don't take my word for it ... check us out.
Reply 53
SiAnY
Has anyone been there or know anyone who has? I heard Collingwood is a great college to live in. Which others are good? Is Durham a nice place? I want to study BA Geography there btw

Hiyas my best friend whent to Durham for geography and absolutely loved it =)
she was in Hatfirled college and only had good things to say .. havent been there myself but from what i heard from here id say go for it.
Hey,

My roomie and I are seriously considering going to Durham and we've applied to St. John's which is also considered to be 'very religious'... I haven't let that deterred me from putting Durham as either firm choice, or insurance offer.

Look forward to seeing you there, if I get in.

Hehe.. xoxo
Reply 55
SiAnY
Has anyone been there or know anyone who has? I heard Collingwood is a great college to live in. Which others are good? Is Durham a nice place? I want to study BA Geography there btw

I'm at Durham now, and it's amazing. What do you want to know? Collingwood is alright for a hill college, the bailey ones are better (except for Hatfield). All I can really say is Durham Rocks!!!!
Reply 56
Any opinions on St Aidan's? I've got a BBB offer from there for modern languages (Arabic and French). Come to think of it, does anyone know anything about what's happening with the arabic course? Cos I know its just changed departments....

:smile:

Thank you!
xxx
Reply 57
I'm going to Chad's because it's religious.

I hope other people are doing this too.

I changed to it last week, just e-mailed the admissions person for my course and she changed it.
Reply 58
Just wondering which College does the International Students enrol in? Is there a specific college they must enrol in? or do they mix in with the crowd?
eunice
Just wondering which College does the International Students enrol in? Is there a specific college they must enrol in? or do they mix in with the crowd?

Lolz.. we 'mix in' with the crowd.

Latest