The Student Room Group

applying for languages on ucas?

PLEASE OH PLEASE HELP ME. I have just realised that I have potentially messed up my application for french and spanish. I just got the welcome letter this morning but now it has dawned on me that in the 'further details' box I should have put what languages I am applying for as some of my courses are just straightforward R000/T900 'Modern European Languages' and so I haven't specified! Did you specify in the 'further details' box or is that for something else entirely?
I applied for T900/R900 & R000 (is this last one Durham?) and I specified what languages I wanted to learn in the further detials box but then these didn't come out of my welcome letter. Perhaps you should phone UCAS.
There were 3 unis where i had to say what the languages were in the further details column. These were Durham, St. Andrews and Nottingham. You should prob call UCAS anyway just to clear things up though
Hey, don't worry. I forgot to specify my languages for the Modern Languages degree as well, but I emailed my university, and the secretary said she'd make sure the information was attached to my application as soon as it arrived. :smile:
Check on the UCAS course search thing if you needed to put down further details when applying for the courses. If it turns out that you definitely did on any of them, email the departments concerned stating your name, UCAS number and the languages you want to do.

Don't worry, I bet loads of people do it, I remember only noticing it when I was triple-checking my form last year.
Like Leanne, I entered the languages in the 'further details' box for Cambridge and Durham but it didn't show up on my welcome letter. It's not exactly a fundamental error though since it should be obvious from your personal statement and qualifications what languages you're applying for. If you phone UCAS, they might be able to change it for you.
I doubt it'll be a problem, i've recieved an offer from Newcastle on the "modern languages" course and i did not specify the languages on the ucas form. As has been said, it should be fairly obvious from your a-levels and personal statement.
thegingerfox
I doubt it'll be a problem, i've recieved an offer from Newcastle on the "modern languages" course and i did not specify the languages on the ucas form. As has been said, it should be fairly obvious from your a-levels and personal statement.

I want one!! (An offer from Newcastle!)
I'm not surprised you're so keen, i was really impressed when i went and its got a good reputation. Its between there or Durham for my first choice really.
Reply 9
I'm doing French at uni but for Durham it was just Modern Languages (R000) and I didn't realise you had to put it in the further details box. I just figured they'd know which language because my personal statement just talks about French! Oh well...! Dunno whether to email uni... :confused:
Reply 10
Well you can phone up UCAS to change the form within 6 days of receiving the welcome letter, or failing that just get in touch with the uni.
Paddy
i applied for course Q1T9 (Modern Languages and Linguistics) at Oxford and i DID have to specify which language i want to study in the further details box. (which was french by the way) voila.

APPLIED FOR UNI 2006:
Oxford uni (St.Catz) - Modern Languages with Linguistics (french) (sent off work)
Edinburgh uni - French with Linguistics
Manchester uni - French with Linguistics
King's College, London - French with Linguistics (received interview: Wed 23 Nov)
St.Andrews - French with Linguistics
Leeds uni - French with Linguistics (received offer : Conditional : BBC)
*UPDATE* I phoned up the admissions dept of Durham and Edinburgh a fortnight ago and they said just send us off an e-mail with your application number + full name and specify your languages - so I did. I got a lovely e-mail sent back saying thank you v. much. All well and good untill I check my hotmail today and the Edinburgh admissions person (the same one who e-mailed me before!) has sent me out an e-mail saying my application cannot be processed any further untill I specify which languages I want to study! Bleedin bureaucracy!!!! (I mean, why can't they just read my ps "I wish to study French and ab-initio Spanish") Now my application has been held back. grrrrrr....

So today's lesson for any future applicant is.... ALWAYS SPECIFY IN THE FURTHER DETAILS BOX!

Latest

Trending

Trending