Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've not mentioned this on this forum before because I have been trying t forget about it. Basicaly the team I work with for team work assignments are lazy and don't do the work at a high standard and leave it to the last minute.

I have another group module next year and really don't want to work with them. Most of them shouldn't even be at university in the first place they are only there due to the pathetic conpensation pass system in the first year. The problem is I don't know any other groups and also don't want to fall out with this group I work with.

What can I do? None of them have done the shopping site so its highly likely they have changed.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    Are the groups set up voluntarily (ie you choose your own group) or are they set up by the course co-ordinators.

How is the group work marked?

I ask because for some of my group assignments we were randomly assigned to groups - which was actually a real boon, it meant that you very quickly got to know new people and it meant that the ability mix was random so there were some slackers and some grafters in every team. If this isn't the way it's done have you thought about approaching the module/yr co-ordinator and requesting a change?

Also with marking - our group work would be marked overall and then we would submit details of exactly which components each group member had done...and their overall proportion of contribution to the work (which meant even though our poster got 90% I got 95% )...again if this isn't done currently suggest it to the assessors - it's a good way of pinning down who works and who doesn't and who avoids doing the actual techy side of things etc etc. (plus it means if you end up doing the entire assignment and it doesn't get too great a score the fact that you did almost single handed boosts *your* score and penalises theirs.

ReputationRep:
    We choose our own groups but this was right at the start of the first year the group just naturaly elvolved. Last year in my group design project I got 50% compared to my average mark of 70% for indivudal work.

We have to say in the report who did what but each of us got the same mark, me and this other person lieterly typed up 10 pages for this report the others did nothing and still got the same mark. It was clearly stated they did nothing too. I didn't bother quering it because I would have fallen out with the others and the marks didn't count towards my degree anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I've not mentioned this on this forum before because I have been trying t forget about it. Basicaly the team I work with for team work assignments are lazy and don't do the work at a high standard and leave it to the last minute.

I have another group module next year and really don't want to work with them. Most of them shouldn't even be at university in the first place they are only there due to the pathetic conpensation pass system in the first year. The problem is I don't know any other groups and also don't want to fall out with this group I work with.

What can I do? None of them have done the shopping site so its highly likely they have changed.
    Hey, have you been feeling depressed recently because you had some thread about girl problems the other day and now uni problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Hey, have you been feeling depressed recently because you had some thread about girl problems the other day and now uni problems?
    I think its just a mixture of things uni is getting me down a bit. I am also a bit bored at uni too as all I do is attend lectures, I have no social life within uni, there only social life I have is the few friends I have outside of university. I've not heared anything yet from this work placement possibility either.

I always seem to get down at the start of year because I think there is so many things I need to change but never get round to it.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.