The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All hail The Sartorialist...

I want those shoes.

In answer to your question... yes.
i have got some pairs...but usually wear with skinny jeans which tuck inside my worker boots so they are not on show
Reply 3
I don't like them on any gender. Strictly speaking though, yes - guys can wear them.
Reply 4
Majority of just 1 in the poll lol
Reply 5
you only wear them with shorts
Reply 6
Original post by .Theory
you only wear them with shorts

This. If it is warm enough for shorts but not warm enough for flipflops, then you need to wear them with your trainers, otherwise you will look like a spanner.
Reply 7
Yes guys can wear ankle socks.
Ankle socks on anyone are :puke:

Original post by py0alb
This. If it is warm enough for shorts but not warm enough for flipflops, then you need to wear them with your trainers, otherwise you will look like a spanner.

...apart from this scenario. The only time it's allowed. Although having said that, I think wearing shorts and trainers casually makes men look like spanners anyway...
Reply 9
Original post by snowyowl
Ankle socks on anyone are :puke:

...apart from this scenario. The only time it's allowed. Although having said that, I think wearing shorts and trainers casually makes men look like spanners anyway...

So what would you recommend they wear on a warm summers day?
Only with shorts.
Original post by py0alb
So what would you recommend they wear on a warm summers day?

Shorts and flip flops/jeans and trainers.

If it's warm enough for shorts, it's warm enough for flip flops.

This seems to be a predominately American/English thing to do. If you go to anywhere else in Europe, you'll only see men wearing flip-flops on the beach... and rightly so. Who wants to see some guy's smelly, hairy feet on, for example, a train? Do you? I just think that wearing flip-flops looks unkept and childish.

I'd rather wear loafers or a driving shoes, and that's why ankle socks are so useful.
Reply 13

Yeah, but there are many, many occasions when flipflops are totally impractical. Say you have a long walk and you're in a rush? Say you want to have a kick around after lectures? Say the ground is wet and slippy? Say you're going for a round of golf? Putting some small sartorial consideration ahead of comfort and practicality is pure stupidity..

I also don't agree that there isn't a temperature that isn't simultaneously too warm for jeans but also too cold for flipflops.
Original post by spazman21
This seems to be a predominately American/English thing to do. If you go to anywhere else in Europe, you'll only see men wearing flip-flops on the beach... and rightly so. Who wants to see some guy's smelly, hairy feet on, for example, a train? Do you? I just think that wearing flip-flops looks unkept and childish.

I'd rather wear loafers or a driving shoes, and that's why ankle socks are so useful.

Hmm... my boyfriend moved to New Zealand for about 9 months or so, and I don't know if this is something he's picked up from there, but he swears by his flip flops (or "jandals" as he bloody calls them now) throughout the entire summer. He wears them with shorts, whether he's at the beach or doing his shopping at Tesco - he even wears them with jeans on the colder days...

I just think men casually wearing shorts and trainers whilst they're out and about in town look like absolute muppets, but each to their own. :smile:

Original post by py0alb
Yeah, but there are many, many occasions when flipflops are totally impractical. Say you have a long walk and you're in a rush? Say you want to have a kick around after lectures? Say the ground is wet and slippy? Say you're going for a round of golf? Putting some small sartorial consideration ahead of comfort and practicality is pure stupidity..

I also don't agree that there isn't a temperature that isn't simultaneously too warm for jeans but also too cold for flipflops.

I just think shorts and trainers look ridiculous together, and if you want to wear trainers then put jeans with it. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hmm... my boyfriend moved to New Zealand for about 9 months or so, and I don't know if this is something he's picked up from there, but he swears by his flip flops (or "jandals" as he bloody calls them now) throughout the entire summer. He wears them with shorts, whether he's at the beach or doing his shopping at Tesco - he even wears them with jeans on the colder days...

I just think men casually wearing shorts and trainers whilst they're out and about in town look like absolute muppets, but each to their own. :smile:

Hence why I said loafers/driving shoes.
Hence why I said loafers/driving shoes.

I didn't quite know what you meant by loafers so I googled it... really? With shorts? :lolwut:

Again, let's agree to disagree. :smile:
I didn't quite know what you meant by loafers so I googled it... really? With shorts? :lolwut:

Again, let's agree to disagree. :smile:

Yeah, I meant more driving shoes... like these Tod's ones...

Reply 18

I just think shorts and trainers look ridiculous together, and if you want to wear trainers then put jeans with it. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree :smile:

Agreed - I don't know many girls that have such a peculiar aversion to the trainers and shorts combo, which is a damn good think considering how many hundreds of guys you see wearing it on any reasonably warm day.
Yeah, I meant more driving shoes... like these Tod's ones...

Are we thinking the same when we refer to shorts? I'm thinking of what my boyfriend wears all the time, which are something like this:

Latest

Trending

Trending