The Student Room Group

Why do girls wear revealing clothes and get upset if someone stares?

Why wear something like that if you don't want the attention?

Yes, I bet some girls will say "oh they make me feel attractive" and say "I feel better in them" or "oh I happen to like the look of them (slightly coincidental most of the clothes you like are revealing like that isn't it??) Obviously something else going on.

I'd say a woman who wears revealing clothes and finds that it gives her more confidence than dressing modestly is obviously a woman who bases her self-esteem on the pulses of male reception. This is their genes at work here, as everyone surely wants to be "attractive" and and obviously like the attention as it gives them more options for potential mates to notice them, thus able to pass on their genes. However they don't like (or often don't believe this) as they have constantly told themselves when trying to rationalise this behaviour that it is because they "feel nice" or "feel comfortable" or "feel better" and as everyone knows, if you tell yourself something enough times you begin to believe it as truth, even if it is a lie.

I also think they don't understand there is a VERY fine line between being trashy and sexy - and since hollywood pushes it to the breaking point - they will probably never understand. It has partly to do with today's celebrities, television and young people's role models. It's socially acceptable now to have boobs popping out of dressing and your "peek-achoo" exposed as you exit from a car (Thank you Tara Reid, Paris, Britney and Lindsey)

Who else agrees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
in the future all girls will be naked then if its a self esteem thing
I agree with you. :smile:

Perhaps they feel they can do better than the men they receive the attention from?
:rofl:

"peek-achoo"

Edit:

I agree with your point.
Reply 4
because it makes them feel good nothing to do with sex at all!!1
Wearing clothes like this are part of fashion and they look good. I do not mind attention from guys when I wear clothes like this. However, I do object when guys think it is okay just because I am wearing clothes like this to grope me. That is not on.

Edit - We do know the line between trashy and sexy. Some girls wear trashy clothes to get more attention from guys. Wearing no underwear is just ewww. Most girls are classy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wannagocali
in the future all girls will be naked then if its a self esteem thing

I doubt that as I don't think that will ever be socially acceptable due to the enormous billion pound industry that is the fashion industry, would loose billions in revenue from clothes people wear twice then often never again lol. However, I can see the clothes getting more and more revealing as time goes on, yes. I mean sometimes when out I even see girls who look ridiculously revealing.
Reply 7
Depends who's staring :tongue: If I'm wearing a skirt and my boyfriend's staring at my legs it's awesome. If it's a creepy old man or a fat guy I don't know I'm slightly uncomfortable, but I don't really care as long as they don't do it for ages. An appreciative glance now and then is fine.
Reply 8
Agreed, although this has been covered many times before. Men are often dominate over women in most aspects, this is one area which gives them an advantage over weak drooling chasing guys. I think some enjoy having the power to reject.
Perhaps they want to look attractive to attract suitable mates (according to your biological perspective) and NOT to be harrassed? Just because we want to be attractive, and attract people does not mean we want to be disrespected.
Original post by N_Thuduwage

"peek-achoo"

:biggrin:

OP - I also agree with your point
(edited 13 years ago)
If they do, they're hypocrites. I'm straight but I can't help but goggle at a girl's chest if if it is squashed so close together that it looks like a butt crack (I wince on her behalf) or if her nipples are threatening to wink at me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Perhaps they want to look attractive to attract suitable mates (according to your biological perspective) and NOT to be harrassed? Just because we want to be attractive, and attract people does not mean we want to be disrespected.

So attractive = tits and arse out? That's never going to attract 'suitable males', just pervs, and they're not about to show you any respect as you wouldn't be commanding any in such a situation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by my_username_was_taken
Why wear something like that if you don't want the attention?

Yes, I bet some girls will say "oh they make me feel attractive" and say "I feel better in them" or "oh I happen to like the look of them (slightly coincidental most of the clothes you like are revealing like that isn't it??) Obviously something else going on.

Erm, don't be so quick to dismiss this, actually. Women like to wear clothes that show off their assets because they know they look better that way. They also like to wear clothes that will fit in with their environment - hence women who go clubbing will wear revealing, often as much for fashion reasons as anything else. Dressing attractively provides a huge boost to personal self-esteem because you feel well-cared-for.

Women also dress up for the benefit of other women as much as for the benefit of men. Women are often competitive with one another and this helps to drive their dress codes.

And when it is about attracting men? Well I guess women are often pleased to have attention from men they are attracted to and not so pleased to have attention from men they aren't. Unfortunately if you dress revealingly you can't stop those unattractive men from noticing you, but it's still annoying when you get purved on by someone you don't like. I guess that's something many women aren't good at dealing with and it's pretty unfair for them to blame men for looking at them, yes. The centre of blame shifts when men come onto you aggressively and make you feel uncomfortable, though, because with all these motives involved, dressing up is NOT an open invitation for sex, as we should all know.
Original post by N_Thuduwage

"peek-achoo"

Edit:

I agree with your point.

I genuinely lol'd. :biggrin:
I agree but I dont know why it's like the tickling game when one starts to tickle them and they say "no" in a flirty way and then the guy keeps tickling them and in the end it's like "I told u to stop, I said no" all mad :s-smilie: I dont get it...
some people have the exuse that "nothing else fits" which I've actually heard but is hard to believe..
Original post by AP1989
So attractive = tits and arse out? That's never going to attract 'suitable males', just pervs, and they're not about to show you any respect as you wouldn't be commanding any in such a situation.

The point the OP was making, as I understood, was that girls have an inbuilt biological instinct to be attractive, and I'm saying if that was the case the biological instinct wouldn't be there in order to get harrassed and disrespected but rather to, as the OP put it himself, to widen the possible pool of mates.

Oh and I don't think men should disrespect women because of the clothes they're wearing, it's not a man's place to judge how we should be treated as human beings just because of the clothes we wear. There's more to women than their body yes? I think that type of behaviour from a man says more about him than the girl he's harrassing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by BlueJoker
Depends who's staring :tongue: If I'm wearing a skirt and my boyfriend's staring at my legs it's awesome. If it's a creepy old man or a fat guy I don't know I'm slightly uncomfortable, but I don't really care as long as they don't do it for ages. An appreciative glance now and then is fine.

He probably stares at other girls' legs too.
Original post by AP1989

I ususally dress tastefully and never recieve any male attention, aside from my boyfriend. When I wear a low cut top I get compliments all round, not just from random pervs. To be fair, if you want girls to stop wearing slutty clothes, don't call us hot when we do and call us frigid when we don't.

I can usually achieve a balance now, but it takes many years before you get it right - hence fourteen year olds that walk around practically naked. Media tells girls that's what they have to do in order to appear sexy.
Original post by Kerny
because it makes them feel good nothing to do with sex at all!!1

OMG U R RITE!!!!!1111

Lol, your comment is seriously how most girls justify this. I find it funny tbh. This thread has got two thumbs down, I'm not really bothered about rep but I would have prefered if they had added to the debate (perhaps another perspective I may have missed??) rather than just being in denial, i'm guessing.

Latest

Trending

Trending