This discussion is closed.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Physics>>>chemistry>>bio>everyth ing else

Personally I feel a bit inferor cuz I take Norwegian, English and History at higher level in IB. But taking physics and maths (and econ) at standard level makes me feel a bit smarter.
IMHO it is:

Further Maths>>Chemistry>>Maths>>Biology >>Physics

It may be me, but since I am doing OCR B Physics, it is not really "intellectual"(sp) So it is last in my list.
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Yeah and if I studied maths I might be able to do...(*tries desperately hard to think of what you do in maths*)...well, maths stuff! Well, actually I probably wouldn't. I hate the damn subject. I'm just trying to make the point that just because some subjects don't require scientific ability that doesnt make them easy. But i do respect people who do maths because i know i couldnt.
yeah and I respect people who get rid of fungus and stuff from infected houses because I know I couldn't :rolleyes:
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
yeah and I respect people who get rid of fungus and stuff from infected houses because I know I couldn't :rolleyes:
What's that supposed to mean?
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
IMHO it is:

Further Maths>>Chemistry>>Maths>>Biology >>Physics

It may be me, but since I am doing OCR B Physics, it is not really "intellectual"(sp) So it is last in my list.
Further Maths>Maths>Physics>Chemistry>Bi ology
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
What's that supposed to mean?
I don't respect people who can do maths because I can't do it myself, I respect it becasue it is hard. Because it is hard I cannot do it. Get your logic straight.
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Yeah and if I studied maths I might be able to do...(*tries desperately hard to think of what you do in maths*)...well, maths stuff! Well, actually I probably wouldn't. I hate the damn subject. I'm just trying to make the point that just because some subjects don't require scientific ability that doesnt make them easy. But i do respect people who do maths because i know i couldnt.
I know I'd have problems accessing history

Actually, though, you should be able to do quadratic equations(or been able to once) from GCSE, whereas without having ever studied Francis I (we did more about Nazis) I wouldn't be able to even start answering that question

Anyway...I chose sciences because I like them more, but I did exactly the same in all my GCSE subjects and in the course of decidding what A-levels to do, was persuaded to do them all by one teacher or another (strangely, apart from maths )... so imho I probably would be ABLE to do history/english/etc had I chosen to... just because I chose sciency A-levels doesn't mean I'm a moron with anything that doesn't involve test tubes

rosie
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by crana)
I know I'd have problems accessing history

Actually, though, you should be able to do quadratic equations(or been able to once) from GCSE, whereas without having ever studied Francis I (we did more about Nazis) I wouldn't be able to even start answering that question

Anyway...I chose sciences because I like them more, but I did exactly the same in all my GCSE subjects and in the course of decidding what A-levels to do, was persuaded to do them all by one teacher or another (strangely, apart from maths )... so imho I probably would be ABLE to do history/english/etc had I chosen to... just because I chose sciency A-levels doesn't mean I'm a moron with anything that doesn't involve test tubes

rosie
Yeah i'm sure you could. I wasn't meaning to imply you were a moron, and i'm sorry if it came out that way. All i'm trying to say is that we all have different strengths. I could probably do ok in science if I really tried but I just prefer the arts stuff. And as for quadratic equations, we did learn them for GCSE, i just never really got the hang of the damn things
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
I don't respect people who can do maths because I can't do it myself, I respect it becasue it is hard. Because it is hard I cannot do it. Get your logic straight.
I really don't know what you're on about. It was probably just me wording things wrong. Maths is a hard A level, i know that and respect that. But other A levels are hard too, such as History and English, and I respect them too. Does that make more sense?
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Yeah i'm sure you could. I wasn't meaning to imply you were a moron, and i'm sorry if it came out that way. All i'm trying to say is that we all have different strengths. I could probably do ok in science if I really tried but I just prefer the arts stuff. And as for quadratic equations, we did learn them for GCSE, i just never really got the hang of the damn things
ok
as a maths/science student i just get a bit sick of the implication that we couldnt possibly cope wit harts subjects as our brains only think in numbers etc

i think the point of this thread is not to say that things like history ae easy but that things like , possibly, sociology are easier.

Rosie xx

Ps. I had to have extra tutoring for quadratic eqn's at gcse because i found them really hard.. and im now predicted an A in A2 maths... so i do sympathise really
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do maths, physics, chemistry and english.

I couldn't really say which was hardest. I think if you have a natural aptitude for english, it could be slightly easier perhaps, as no matter how good you are at science and maths, there are still facts to learn.

On the whole however, I don't think there is much difference in terms of difficulty, it just depends on where your strengths lie.

Btw, I'm thinking of applying to NatSci, but only have 2 sciences and maths, plus the English. That's ok right?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I do maths, physics, chemistry and english.

I couldn't really say which was hardest. I think if you have a natural aptitude for english, it could be slightly easier perhaps, as no matter how good you are at science and maths, there are still facts to learn.

On the whole however, I don't think there is much difference in terms of difficulty, it just depends on where your strengths lie.

Btw, I'm thinking of applying to NatSci, but only have 2 sciences and maths, plus the English. That's ok right?
Thats fine, as long as you get good marks in the science section.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Thats fine, as long as you get good marks in the science section.

Well, I suppose that would be a good start!
Thanks
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by crana)
ok
as a maths/science student i just get a bit sick of the implication that we couldnt possibly cope wit harts subjects as our brains only think in numbers etc

i think the point of this thread is not to say that things like history ae easy but that things like , possibly, sociology are easier.

Rosie xx

Ps. I had to have extra tutoring for quadratic eqn's at gcse because i found them really hard.. and im now predicted an A in A2 maths... so i do sympathise really
Cool, congratulations! I ended up getting an A in GCSE maths so the quadratics obviously weren't that important!
acidbubble
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i did chem bio physics and maths at AS level

I find these subjects quite easy...... compared to many arts subjects in which u have to write in length!!!!!!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
i did chem bio physics and maths at AS level

I find these subjects quite easy...... compared to many arts subjects in which u have to write in length!!!!!!
It annoys me how long essays are gradually infiltrating the science exam papers
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
It annoys me how long essays are gradually infiltrating the science exam papers

yea, but at least u can draw a diagram :P and do some calculations.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
yea, but at least u can draw a diagram :P and do some calculations.
And thats another thing physics is a mathematical subject and A level has had lots of the maths removed, how can you do physics without calculus, and similarlly there's no maths in chem hardly
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally I think all difficulty is subjective and that difficulty with a subject is down more to personal tastes than it's actual difficulty. For instance, a very good mathematician or scientist will probably find getting an A in English a-level, say, a lot more difficult than an A in F. Maths (and conversly as well of course).
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought the whole point of national tests (A-Levels or GCSE) was that a qualification at the same level should be of equal difficulty no matter what the subject? (I don't care to comment whether or not that works, or how they assess that)

My A-Levels, Chem, Biol (of the sciences; easier content, harder exams...it balances out) Geog & Hist were choson simply on the basis of interest and what I needed for carear/uni, I want to be an archaeologist (I really say that way too much...) so in that respect sociology would be just as beneficial to me as my chem A-Level (applied both BA & BSc courses) but didn't take it because of timetable clash & I already do history out of school. It's all relative!

Of course personal skills come into it, but I still think interest should be the decider!!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
I thought the whole point of national tests (A-Levels or GCSE) was that a qualification at the same level should be of equal difficulty no matter what the subject?
Maybe, but that doesn't really hold true does it?

A D-grade at A-level chemistry is regarded as equivalent to an A in ICT or media studies. That's what I've been told by respected teachers at school.

J.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads