Sciences and maths are now 'elite' subjects... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777.5)
True If you're naturally good at something, I suppose you don't have to pour in as much effort. I've always been quite good at French/German, so didn't really revise for them at all.
Nor do I, that's why I didn't get an A in my German AS!
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Um I wouldn't touch chemistry with a bargepole lol, looks utterly evil. French also looks bloody hard. But computing was a piece of utter piss and I think the only reason anybody ever fails computing is because they don't understand that they can program the most awesome-o thing in the entire world but if they don't knuckle down and document then they're getting a D.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
This is even more true when working in the industry than when in education. Nobody wants pure programmers any more, they want software engineers.
but they secretly, unknowingly want mathematicians who can make broad abstract statements about their procedures
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I intially wanted to do Chem, Bio, English Lit and History.. and I think I find writing essays etc a lot easier.. but Chemistry and Biology are more interesting to me.

But then (because I want to be a vet) I wanted to replace English with Physics.. only to discover that because of subject clashes I had to do Maths instead. Is Maths harder than Physics, generally? Because I'd always imagined so..

The Sciences/maths subjects are always going to be more respected than subjects like sociology, religious studies and so on. Because in the the latter, I find that you can just waffle on, use some big words and make it seem like you know what you're talking about.. its a lot harder to do that in Maths.

I've just had my first few days at sixth form.. and I know a few people doing Human Biology. Apparently their teacher told them that HB was the second hardest A Level? Obviously a load of *******s.
IamOllie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Syntax)
I intially wanted to do Chem, Bio, English Lit and History.. and I think I find writing essays etc a lot easier.. but Chemistry and Biology are more interesting to me.

But then (because I want to be a vet) I wanted to replace English with Physics.. only to discover that because of subject clashes I had to do Maths instead. Is Maths harder than Physics, generally? Because I'd always imagined so..

The Sciences/maths subjects are always going to be more respected than subjects like sociology, religious studies and so on. Because in the the latter, I find that you can just waffle on, use some big words and make it seem like you know what you're talking about.. its a lot harder to do that in Maths.

I've just had my first few days at sixth form.. and I know a few people doing Human Biology. Apparently their teacher told them that HB was the second hardest A Level? Obviously a load of *******s.
er it seems like you're talking *******s considering you ONLY just started those subjects. Firstly how can you compare religious studies to science when you've not done either (especially the former)? Biology is hard because you have to learn a lot of topics in detail and know terminology. Physical science is hard because of the maths. Religious studies is hard cause you have to be able to write essays and know a lot of terminolgy.
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When I said the Sciences are more respected than subjects like Religious Studies, I was talking from the experience of doing both at GCSE. Should have been more clear about that I guess, but R.S was piss easy at GCSE and I don't exactly think it's going to suddenly morph into an incredibly hard subject at A Level.

I don't mean to offend anyone studying the "soft subjects" ( Okay sorry I'll stop..) but the general view is that, for example, Chemistry is harder than Sociology.
For some people who can't write essays at all, and are far more scientifically inclined, that won't be the case. But I'm just generalising.. apologies for that too.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads