The Student Room Group

Feminists- a bunch of hairy lesbians?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Its the extreme ones who are retarded, yes equality is all fine and well but when it gets to the point of feminist thinking they deserve more because their a woman is just ignorance. But equality nowadays has 2 standards and feminist are making it seem like men are evil.

A perfect example was a advert il try to post it, but the gist of it was men were in a hospital / doctors waiting area with a Christmas tree so its Christmas time and you see a guy with a stilleto jammed in his head, a guy wiping blood of his face with a womans thong and a guy with a hoover shoved up his ass. And the ending quote was "How wrong will he get it this year" as in ruining christmas. People find that kinda funny, but if it was the other way round, they'd get sues by a bunch of angry feminist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JS01WUKLT4 << The Video

Double standards.
Original post by Curious20
There has been much debate on a student run website about the wider issue of business boycotting but questions about feminists and feminism were raised. I'm curious as to how the general public and in particular the student population view feminism and feminists in our society today. Whether they are a positive force? What stereotypes are there?

I don't think I will ever understand why feminists are branded hairy lesbians... if they want equal rights that has nothing to do with their shaving routine or sexuality.

Maybe there are some lesbians and some women who don't shave who are also feminists, that's their choice.
Reply 42
I'm a feminist.

Apparently people seem to have misunderstandings about feminism.

Feminism =/= Misandry
Original post by veux
I don't like them. Successful women have been able to prosper, it's only the useless ones that can't find a place in the world.

As with men :wink:
Reply 44
Original post by Alt__x
They should stop complaining and get back to the kitchen.

*insert sandwich making joke here*
Reply 45
The issue here is that "feminism" is such a massive thing. No one *seriously* argues about the equal rihts part. What people do argue against is the whole positive discrimination ie all women shortlists and all that.

Remember, when you positively discriminate, you discriminate against everyone else.

I think it also annoys people the same way it annoys people when foreigners claim that all there is in this country because they didn't get a job or got stopped by a policeman.

No one in Britain suffers massive amounts of oppression at the hands of White middle class men so I think everyone needs to calm down just a touch.
There has been much debate on a student run website about the wider issue of business boycotting but questions about feminists and feminism were raised. I'm curious as to how the general public and in particular the student population view feminism and feminists in our society today. Whether they are a positive force? What stereotypes are there?

I'm feminist. I'm neither hairy nor lesbian. There are many stereotypes about feminism and there are different types of feminists.

I think certain feminist movements are definitely a 'good force' in our society. In particular feminist movements that are rebelling against the fashion and media industry.
Reply 47
Equality is good, but things such as positive discrimination and over-the-top political correctness is bad. Equality is not over-compensation for past injustices, if that is kept in mind then all is well.

Original post by Democracy
The whole "militant lesbian" stereotype was made up by angry right wingers and Daily Mail readers who are bawwwing about how they can't thrash their wives anymore. And thankfully, they are an ever decreasing minority, so who cares what they think.

Ever heard of the SCUM Manifesto? Seperatist Feminism? Radical Lesbianism? I'm not saying this is the norm but to deny they exist is as ignorant as saying all feminists follow these ideologies.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
some feminists are man haters.

Although I want women to have better rights. im going to offer a brutally honest opinion and say as a man equal rights means less rights for me and you can call me ignorant but why would I want less rights for me?

In many cases women have it better off than men.

Many feminists also believe men are evil opressors and want to dominate everything. It sort of offends me to be honest.
Reply 49
Original post by xnatalie01x
As with men :wink:

Was more aimed at the feminists who highlight the gender pay gap who say that women are therefore repressed lol
firstly, there are so many different types of feminists: liberal-feminists, anarcha-feminists, radical feminists, separatist feminists etc. some only want legal equality (which in the west they already have) and others simply blame men for being men, they're find masculinity to be inherently oppressive; these are the ones who are the true bitches.

in the UK women have full legal and political equality (people now argue that women have more rights then men in countries such as ours, the US and Sweden). with this in mind i feel there is no longer a need for feminists to campaign for anything, they are no longer a truly positive political force. what women want for themselves is entirely up to them as individuals, they don't need feminists to speak for them.

the thing i don't like is that people are really naive about feminism. feminism has so many different forms that some people will agree with and has elements which decent people will find disgusting. so naive people who just say that 'feminism is just about equal rights' should do a little reading to educate themselves. feminism is just like any other political ideology.

I think people who are a bit dopey in the head believe the stereotype.
What annoys me is that the most aggressive feminists are those who cannot take advantage of the current system : old, ugly lesbians. It seems they criticize the objectification of women because they can't benefit from it.
Reply 53
I hate how people have twisted the word 'feminist' into 'female supremacist'. Harriet Harman is a prime example of this, saying things like "men can't be trusted to run things on their own" or that the term "chairman" is sexist? :lolwut: What about the term "mankind" or "human"?

Slightly offtopic, but this sort of ridiculousness is why I would prefer if every human was referred to as "man", and the terms "male" and "female" only ever showed up on medical records and birth/death certificates. Just my view.
I think it's important for people to remember there's a difference between radical feminism and feminism.
I think it's ridiculous how feminists are made out to be hysterical and irrational. Women were downtrodden for centuries, why shouldn't women look out for themselves?
Sexism is just as bad as racism, homophobia etc.
Reply 55
Original post by sinbad23

Although I want women to have better rights. im going to offer a brutally honest opinion and say as a man equal rights means less rights for me and you can call me ignorant but why would I want less rights for me?

How does equal rights mean less rights for you?
Reply 56
Original post by Annora
How does equal rights mean less rights for you?

equal rights could mean an extra 8 hours of housework a week in the home. It could mean less of a chance of getting a job. Or not getting into a nightclub because boys pay £30 and girls go in for free.

In these cases Im not exactly going to be like YESSS equal rights less chance of getting a job and 8 hours more housework a week am I lol

also my uncle when he divorced with his wife saw his kids like once every 3 weeks if he was lucky he wasnt allowed custody because of the way the courts are in england and then his wife would make up nasty stories about him to their kids and thus slander his name.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
equal rights could mean an extra 8 hours of housework a week in the home.

What do you mean by this? Everyone has to do housework.

It could mean less of a chance of getting a job.

Why? Because women work too? That's not an example of inequality.
:nopity:

Or not getting into a nightclub because boys pay £30 and girls go in for free.

That's not a feminist ideal, it's an example of social inequality.

In these cases Im not exactly going to be like YESSS equal rights less chance of getting a job and 8 hours more housework a week am I lol

also my uncle when he divorced with his wife saw his kids like once every 3 weeks if he was lucky he wasnt allowed custody because of the way the courts are in england and then his wife would make up nasty stories about him to their kids and thus slander his name.

That could just as well happen the other way around.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Annora
What do you mean by this? Everyone has to do housework.

Why? Because women work too? That's not an example of inequality.

That's not a feminist ideal, it's an example of social inequality.

That could just as well happen the other way around.

Well the other day I revised till 6am, woke up at 10am, revised, went for an exam, took the dog out, went to work till 10 pm then got shouted at for not doing dishes etc. While my aunt woke up at 10am went to bed at 12pm and watched tv all day.

And your still looking at it from the same perspective. of Equal rights. Some women will just do the housework if you ask them. I am not obliged to cry a river for equal rights if it means I dont have to do anything. Equal rights could mean less rights for me in terms of women doing all the housework and then turning around and not doing anything. Theres your black and white view of everyone should do housework.

Again black and white view of housework. My concern is not other women wanting to work too if it means I dont get a job as I was previously unemployed for five months and pretty much every high street shop I went into was full of female workers not male workers. Im not looking at it in terms of whats better for "everyone" if it means less for me.

yeah but would you not agree that this and many other things women are getting greater advantages than men.

But it rarely does happen the other way around. Its always women who get custody. I wouldnt want to marry a woman, have her cheat on me, then she gets full possession of my kids and I have to pay child support to her.

I just told you what I mean by less rights for me. That has nothing to do with equal rights.
Reply 59
Well the other day I revised till 6am, woke up at 10am, revised, went for an exam, took the dog out, went to work till 10 pm then got shouted at for not doing dishes etc. While my aunt woke up at 10am went to bed at 12pm and watched tv all day.

Boo hoo, that's what normal people do.

And your still looking at it from the same perspective. of Equal rights.

Of course I am, that's what we're talking about!

Some women will just do the housework if you ask them. I am not obliged to cry a river for equal rights if it means I dont have to do anything. Equal rights could mean less rights for me in terms of women doing all the housework and then turning around and not doing anything. Theres your black and white view of everyone should do housework.

:facepalm2:
You having to do housework does not constitute inequality.

Again black and white view of housework. My concern is not other women wanting to work too if it means I dont get a job as I was previously unemployed for five months and pretty much every high street shop I went into was full of female workers not male workers. Im not looking at it in terms of whats better for "everyone" if it means less for me.

Where exactly are your rights being taken away?

yeah but would you not agree that this and many other things women are getting greater advantages than men.

Again, you're talking about inequality, not equality.

But it rarely does happen the other way around. Its always women who get custody. I wouldnt want to marry a woman, have her cheat on me, then she gets full possession of my kids and I have to pay child support to her.

It's the job of the parents or the court to decide where children are best suited to spend most of their time. If that is decided based on gender solely, then that is not equal rights and therefore not a feminist ideal.

I just told you what I mean by less rights for me. That has nothing to do with equal rights.

That doesn't even make sense. You were complaining that equal rights means less rights for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending