This discussion is closed.
MC-GENIUS
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Maybe if you're applying to oxbridge, but other than that you can fu** it.
Not everyone is ambitious from the word go, some of us realise our potential later on in life, so if you've got average gcse's don't worry i am a perfect case study .
I was on role to becoming a professional footballer till i had a really bad injury and now its over, . I hardly went to classes in school and was always playing foot ball, i was only ever good at maths and geography. Consequenly i went on to achieve 2A*, 3A, 3B's and 2C's at gcse (A* in maths and geography). I have heard several people going around saying rubbish about not being able to go to a good university if you had bad gcse grades. Thats rubbish.
I went on to achieve 3As and a B at AS (further maths-A, maths-A, physics B, economics A). Predicted 4A's and have an offer from the LSE to read mathematics and economics. I am not rich if you were wondering, nor am i an international student, i am just the everyday guy, (except a bit more exciting ).
So don't be discouraged by what anyone tells you and if you have a goal in life go for it, unfortunately i cannot be a footballer but hopefully i will become a successful financier in the city one day, or maybe eliminate 3rd world debt. who knows. just go for it.
peace
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MC-GENIUS)
Maybe if you're applying to oxbridge, but other than that you can fu** it.
Not everyone is ambitious from the word go, some of us realise our potential later on in life, so if you've got average gcse's don't worry i am a perfect case study .
I was on role to becoming a professional footballer till i had a really bad injury and now its over, . I hardly went to classes in school and was always playing foot ball, i was only ever good at maths and geography. Consequenly i went on to achieve 2A*, 3A, 3B's and 2C's at gcse (A* in maths and geography). I have heard several people going around saying rubbish about not being able to go to a good university if you had bad gcse grades. Thats rubbish.
I went on to achieve 3As and a B at AS (further maths-A, maths-A, physics B, economics A). Predicted 4A's and have an offer from the LSE to read mathematics and economics. I am not rich if you were wondering, nor am i an international student, i am just the everyday guy, (except a bit more exciting ).
So don't be discouraged by what anyone tells you and if you have a goal in life go for it, unfortunately i cannot be a footballer but hopefully i will become a successful financier in the city one day, or maybe eliminate 3rd world debt. who knows. just go for it.
peace
No offence, but they aren't bad GCSE results.
MC-GENIUS
oh yeh i also have offers from nottingham, birmingham, bristol, ucl and manchester
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Good for you!!!

But those grades you got at GCSE are by no means bad at all!! Anyone who says otherwise is just being a snob...

Well done!!

G
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
No offence, but they aren't bad GCSE results.
True. Surely 'bad' is not getting c's or above?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got 5'C's and 4 D's. I know that is nothing for most people here but my school was 10% pass rate at 5-A-C. Considering every thing I went through I was very proud and still am of my results. It annoys me when people say A and B's are bad.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
True. Surely 'bad' is not getting c's or above?
And I've heard of people who've got into Oxbridge with those grades. I get his point though.
MC-GENIUS
(Original post by gzftan)
Good for you!!!

But those grades you got at GCSE are by no means bad at all!! Anyone who says otherwise is just being a snob...

Well done!!

G
Well i had been told by several people, one of my friends got much lower grades than myself and managed to get an offer to read some sports degree or business at bath. i just wanted people not to worry about gcse grades, as long as you pass and then do well at AS and A2 your ok.
i'm sick of these 'know it all guys putting people down'.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well i had been told by several people, one of my friends got much lower grades than myself and managed to get an offer to read some sports degree or business at bath. i just wanted people not to worry about gcse grades, as long as you pass and then do well at AS and A2 your ok.
i'm sick of these 'know it all guys putting people down'.
I know what you mean....i go to a school where the emphasis placed by the teachers is on straight As at GCSE...and while it's good that they do encourage this...i think they see less than an A at GCSE as bad...which is simply not true...and everyone would do well to remember this...

You should just do your best....then at least you've fulfilled your potential...

G
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Your GCSE results are important at job interviews.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
If you get an interview - a lot of jobs require at least a C in GCSE English and sometimes Maths. Many employers only see a 'pass' as A* - C.

J.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
Not if you have a good degree.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But GCSEs are importamnt for applying to a 6th form college or school or something.
Homegrownkitten
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Not if you have a good degree.
I didn't do very well in my GCSE's, my highest grades were 3 B's, the rest D's except maths which I eventually passed after 3 attempts. I am now in the final year of a science based degree, looking to pass with a 2:1. I dont do so well in the modules with maths in, but I've got by ok. I wouldn't worry about your grades, they sound great to me. Good luck with your degree
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Consequenly i went on to achieve 2A*, 3A, 3B's and 2C's at gcse (A* in maths and geography).
An intelligent MC.

Isn't that phrase contradictory though?

I know some idiot who thinks he's an MC and he goes round calling himself a "poet" and a "lyrical genius".
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Depends what job you go for most jobs want you to have a C or above at maths and English. Grad jobs normally expect at least 22 A Level points minimum with 3 A Levels (sorry I dont know the new points system). As for your other results most places dont care unless a job specifically requires that particular skill.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
peace
you obviously have problems if your lifes aim is to eradicate third world debt
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
youre so cynical!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Depends what job you go for most jobs want you to have a C or above at maths and English. Grad jobs normally expect at least 22 A Level points minimum with 3 A Levels (sorry I dont know the new points system). As for your other results most places dont care unless a job specifically requires that particular skill.
Thats me stuff then. I got 18 points from AVCE, (AB) and 4 points from AS Business Studies. So if they count AS and AVCE thats 22 points. However I never got a C in English and Maths GCSE. It was a long time ago though and people change. Plus the school was one of the worst in the country which has since closed down.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
it will never be eradicated.

a debt is a debt, if they pretend to cancel it then others will suffer as a consequence - which would not happen anyway as it is a debt, therefore money is owed and needs to be paid.

infact, i am gonna ask my mum to go to the bank and ask them to eradicate her debt because she cant pay it, i'll wonder what they say....

btw: yes i know my mum isnt in poverty, but there is a principle after all.

i dont see why wealthier nations should give money to countries where useless leaders usually pocket most of it anyway.....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.07%
No (189)
32.93%

Watched Threads