This discussion is closed.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Thats me stuff then. I got 18 points from AVCE, (AB) and 4 points from AS Business Studies. So if they count AS and AVCE thats 22 points. However I never got a C in English and Maths GCSE. It was a long time ago though and people change. Plus the school was one of the worst in the country which has since closed down.
dont worry mate.

if you are happy with your grades then thats all that matters.

btw: i know i should shut my mouth, but have you thought of retaking maths/english gcse's in order to gain A* - C grade passes? just a thought, it would be very handy and its often asked for/preferred/necessary even.

anyway, good luck in your course, keep well.

btw: i got 6 A*'s and 4 A's in my gcse's, and i wasnt happy with them, end of the day if you are happy then thats what matters.
MurphysMoment.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Big ****ing deal I got 2Bs 5Cs 1D and 1F for GCSE and I'm at The Unversity Manchester.

Most of the people who got much better than that in my school went on to do **** in their A Levels and go to polytechnics; I however only got **** GCSE results because I was entered into foundation for my alleged attitude problem.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
dont worry mate.

if you are happy with your grades then thats all that matters.

btw: i know i should shut my mouth, but have you thought of retaking maths/english gcse's in order to gain A* - C grade passes? just a thought, it would be very handy and its often asked for/preferred/necessary even.

anyway, good luck in your course, keep well.

btw: i got 6 A*'s and 4 A's in my gcse's, and i wasnt happy with them, end of the day if you are happy then thats what matters.
Well I should have got a C in English, I still can. Maths I got a D when I resat but had no interest in going to university at the time so I admit I just didn't work at it. The problem is I am simply too emberassed to resit them. I wouldn;t mind if it was all university students etc or I could teach myself. But the thought of going to an FE colleges to do exams designed for 15-16 year olds is a bit emberassing.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
youre so cynical!
no,just human
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They don't matter if you make up for it. At least I hope so. I got 7 C's and 2 D's but I've worked my bloody arse off to try get into uni!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some grad jobs for big firms eg retail management recruitment sainsburys etc norm want 24 pts at a level and a 2.1 some do even specify GCSEs. Civil service fast stream is 22 pts and a 2.1 or was a couple of years ago. There were some ox grads at my test day with 2.2s there though. A lot wont even consider you with less my friend had some Ds at A Level and they told her not to bother applying. Firms such as accountancy grad recruitment specify GCSE and sometimes A Level maths and English grade C or above.
However thats only because competition for such jobs are so high there are plenty of smaller firms which take on grads just on the basis of the degree or are more flexible in what they accept. So dont despair anyway
It also may be an idea to resit maths if you have it at less than grade C because i think that greatly increases employability.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MurphysMoment.)
Big ****ing deal I got 2Bs 5Cs 1D and 1F for GCSE and I'm at The Unversity Manchester.

Most of the people who got much better than that in my school went on to do **** in their A Levels and go to polytechnics; I however only got **** GCSE results because I was entered into foundation for my alleged attitude problem.
Thats how I feel really, since going to college and getting a good grade in my AVCE (I got some of the highest marks in the country on some of the exams) its really boosted my confidence. If I had this confidence to start with I would have done so much better.

This why I believe I can go on to complete a masters. The only reason I couldn't get in to UMIST or Manchester is the fact for computing you need maths and them universities don't run multimedia courses. If I wanted to go to Manchester to study Business Studies I probably would have got a place maybe. The only reason I am saying this is that UMIST would have appcepted me if I had a C in AS Maths on their computing courses.

I feel slightly over qualified for my course at Salford. God I sound snobbish now
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I should have got a C in English, I still can. Maths I got a D when I resat but had no interest in going to university at the time so I admit I just didn't work at it. The problem is I am simply too emberassed to resit them. I wouldn;t mind if it was all university students etc or I could teach myself. But the thought of going to an FE colleges to do exams designed for 15-16 year olds is a bit emberassing.
To teach yourself try looking at online learning.
I havent got a clue how genuine this is I just found it from a websearch my cousin did AS English by correspondance this year and just sat the exam in her local test centre so it can be done.
http://ferl.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=4229
Heres a link to correspondance courses it wont work so you'll have to copy and paste it.
http://www.redhotchilli.co.uk/distance-learning/gcse-correspondence-course.htm
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i understand.

but i know that at a local college they do a fast-track maths course thats a few hours each week, and there are quite a few adults/older teens in there re-taking gcse maths as its useful.

you shouldnt be ashamed, and i am sure there are many people in your position.

if any1 laughs at you, then you can say "i will get maskall on ya".

btw: whats the difference with a guy in his early 20's doing gcse higher maths again, when many people between 25-50 do a-level maths? thats designed for 16-18 year olds anyway (obviously) so there isnt much importance on age anyway.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thats how I feel really, since going to college and getting a good grade in my AVCE (I got some of the highest marks in the country on some of the exams) its really boosted my confidence. If I had this confidence to start with I would have done so much better.

This why I believe I can go on to complete a masters. The only reason I couldn't get in to UMIST or Manchester is the fact for computing you need maths and them universities don't run multimedia courses. If I wanted to go to Manchester to study Business Studies I probably would have got a place maybe. The only reason I am saying this is that UMIST would have appcepted me if I had a C in AS Maths on their computing courses.

I feel slightly over qualified for my course at Salford. God I sound snobbish now
you said nothing wrong.
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Kudos! Mine was mainly attitude aswell. I hated my school and all the people in it :mad:

Give me some motivation, a decent college, quality tutors and ill put some effort in and I'll beat anyone straight A gcse student!

I just hope I get into a decent uni because with 2 years industry experience and a higher education level qualification under my belt I should be way ahead of where I am!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
To teach yourself try looking at online learning.
I havent got a clue how genuine this is I just found it from a websearch my cousin did AS English by correspondance this year and just sat the exam in her local test centre so it can be done.
http://ferl.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=4229
Heres a link to correspondance courses it wont work so you'll have to copy and paste it.
http://www.redhotchilli.co.uk/distan...nce-course.htm

Thats the kind of thing I need but I would rather just do it all myself, i.e teach myself. I'm not that bad at maths so I am sure I must have nearly got a C both times. I will just do a none course work one which involves an extra exam. I guess my problem is how do I arrange myself to sit the exams?
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think you telephone your nearest test centre and ask them which would probably be your local college they would be able to give you advice anyway.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was entered into foundation for my alleged attitude problem.
Thats harsh you should do something to those *******s...
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Don't worry atleast you aint at the Met
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Thats harsh you should do something to those *******s...

I did I got drunk at my Old Boys Rugby Party and ****ged them all off.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry atleast you aint at the Met
Lol yes the fact I am not at the Met or Bolton is the only comfort I have
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (219)
68.01%
No (103)
31.99%

Watched Threads