The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

2011/12 Postgraduates

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
i had applied on july for accommodation and i got a room, so you all no need to worry too much over acc. there are plenty of dorms
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ammel-ts1

Original post by ammel-ts1
BTW any MSc Finance 2011-2012 applicants here?

Im goin for MSc Finance as well. r u planing any visits to the uni before
Reply 62
Original post by viktorpetrov
Im goin for MSc Finance as well. r u planing any visits to the uni before

No - working non-stop till september 2011 :smile:
Reply 63
I just accepted my spot for the Philosophy MLitt. I'm considering Dean's Court but I too am a little confused about the 36/49week business. How long are we academically required to be there? Does 49 just include summer accommodation for the sake of dissertations and what not?

I don't mean to sound frantic but I do wish they'd send us welcome packets full of explicit info or something of the sort.

Any other Philosophy postgrads here?
Original post by ljjw89
I just accepted my spot for the Philosophy MLitt. I'm considering Dean's Court but I too am a little confused about the 36/49week business. How long are we academically required to be there? Does 49 just include summer accommodation for the sake of dissertations and what not?

I don't mean to sound frantic but I do wish they'd send us welcome packets full of explicit info or something of the sort.

As far as I know, we're going to spend the summer at Uni in order to write our dissertation and therefore the 49 week option.
Original post by Seelentherapie
As far as I know, we're going to spend the summer at Uni in order to write our dissertation and therefore the 49 week option.

Precisely. Presence in St Andrews is usually expected/ the standard unless you're doing field work over the summer, but I'm not sure how relevant that is for Philosophy :smile: It's also good to have access to the library etc. over the summer.
Reply 66
Original post by Miss_Washington
Precisely. Presence in St Andrews is usually expected/ the standard unless you're doing field work over the summer, but I'm not sure how relevant that is for Philosophy :smile: It's also good to have access to the library etc. over the summer.

Thank you for this! Thats going to be something to get used to, I suppose. I usually haul ass as soon as classes are done. Also, I wonder if its true that there is no wireless internet in the dorms. That would suck. That aside, I am very excited to move onto St Andrews.
Original post by ljjw89
Also, I wonder if its true that there is no wireless internet in the dorms. That would suck. .

I'm pretty sure that I read something about free wireless internet in all the university accomodation!
Reply 68
Original post by ljjw89

Me too! I accepted the Philosophy MLitt a few days ago. Thinking of DRA apartments.
And yes, there's a bit of a shortage of welcome packs and stuff - feels a bit like I've signed up to a long distance online learning course or something :tongue:

Where did you do undergrad? Also, something that I've been curious about, do you have any idea how many people do the Phil MLitt?? It could be 5 or 50, I have no idea... Anyway, nice to find someone doing the same course!
So I went to the postgrad opening day yesterday... and it was amazing! I fell in love with the town and the uni instantly. It's all so pretty and clean and you have the sea and this amazing beach! Is it September yet? :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by geoff2424
Me too! I accepted the Philosophy MLitt a few days ago. Thinking of DRA apartments.
And yes, there's a bit of a shortage of welcome packs and stuff - feels a bit like I've signed up to a long distance online learning course or something :tongue:

Where did you do undergrad? Also, something that I've been curious about, do you have any idea how many people do the Phil MLitt?? It could be 5 or 50, I have no idea... Anyway, nice to find someone doing the same course!

I'm relieved to meet someone else doing philosophy! I did my undergrad at Shimer in the States and my last year at Oxford. You? I have no idea how many they took but I would love to get a welcome packet and some information on how to proceed, dates, length, etc. I am going to visit on the 31st and maybe I'll get a better sense for things then. Wish me luck.
Reply 71
Haha, again, me too! Except I was Oxford all the way through...small world eh, small chance we bumped into each other at some point. I've never actually been to St Andrews :rolleyes: but it looks very nice on google street view!

Have been looking around, and the closest I have found to a welcome pack is this http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/philosophy/files/general/MLitt%20Student%20Handbook%2010-11%20FINAL.pdf

Also, found out that a couple of years ago there were 31 MLitt students (and 30 PhD...) so I suppose it'll be something like this next year too.

Do tell us what you thought about StA once you've visited!
Reply 72
I'll be coming back to St Andrews to do my PhD in IR in September. Keeping my fingers crossed for funding. Still have some funding apps in for my other two choices, but I just got back from a visit and forgot how much I love the place. Caught up with my supervisor and the fit is definitely perfect!
I did my undergrad and master's there so if you have any questions then let me know.
Reply 73
I visited St Andrews this week and I have to admit it really sealed the deal for me. Its a beautiful town and the faculty member I met with was extremely supportive of my research interests, including interdepartamental possibilities. Its definitely a small town but it seems much more conducive to work.
That said, I happened to be there during a break so I didn't get to see all that much student movement. I really hope the student community is as vibrant and appealing as they say to pick up some of the slack for how quiet the town seems.
Reply 74
Hello, I'm about to apply to the M.Litt. in International Political Theory...I'm aware this is a really late application for St. Andrews but still would like to try..

I was surprised when I found out that the personal statement is not compulsory. Did anybody applied without the personal statement to the IR Department?
Reply 75
Original post by itasammy
Hello, I'm about to apply to the M.Litt. in International Political Theory...I'm aware this is a really late application for St. Andrews but still would like to try..

I was surprised when I found out that the personal statement is not compulsory. Did anybody applied without the personal statement to the IR Department?

Are you sure it isn't compulsory? I did the IPT MLitt in St Andrews and had to do a personal statement when I applied. Even if it is no longer compulsory I would strongly advise you to do one anyway. What is your undergraduate degree in?
Reply 76
Original post by Tasha1986
Are you sure it isn't compulsory? I did the IPT MLitt in St Andrews and had to do a personal statement when I applied. Even if it is no longer compulsory I would strongly advise you to do one anyway. What is your undergraduate degree in?

Politics and International Relations and I'm Italian.
Well, I found this on their website "There is no application fee, and we do not require a GRE score. You may submit a personal statement and/or CV if you wish, but it is not a formal requirement".
I guess it is not compulsory, but still part of their application process.
Do you think it's too late to apply or I still stand some chances of getting admitted?
I have a 7,5 at Ielts, 107/110(which is pretty good in my country, the basic requirement for StAndrews is 106/110) and a pretty good curriculum.
Reply 77
Well they deal with applications on a rolling basis instead of gathering them in for one deadline, so there is still a chance that you'll get in - your undergrad degree is certainly relevant. I did my undergraduate degree in International Relations as well.

If I were you I would write a personal statement to highlight how your curriculum could map onto the IPT program, and what you hope to take away from it. Whatever you do, DON'T say anything like "I want to work in government/NGO/UN after graduation" - the guys in charge of the program really hate it because it's generic, unimaginative, and doesn't really correspond to the content of the course (IPT is not IR theory).

If you want, I can send you some more info on the program?
Reply 78
Original post by Tasha1986
Well they deal with applications on a rolling basis instead of gathering them in for one deadline, so there is still a chance that you'll get in - your undergrad degree is certainly relevant. I did my undergraduate degree in International Relations as well.

If I were you I would write a personal statement to highlight how your curriculum could map onto the IPT program, and what you hope to take away from it. Whatever you do, DON'T say anything like "I want to work in government/NGO/UN after graduation" - the guys in charge of the program really hate it because it's generic, unimaginative, and doesn't really correspond to the content of the course (IPT is not IR theory).

If you want, I can send you some more info on the program?

Thank you so much for all the informations. Applications sent :wink:

Now I'll just have to wait for the reply, hopefully this is not a busy time and in a couple of weeks I'll hear from them...(i definitely hope to get an offer...)
Reply 79
Just wondering if I would be able to get into St. Andrews for a postgrad in History next year. I have a high 2.1 at the moment (borderline 1st) and am in University College Dublin studying single honours History. I'm hoping to bring it up to a 1st by the end of 3rd year (just finished second year now) but I'm just wondering is a first completely necessary? Do people with 2.1's get offers too?

Quick Reply

Latest