The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Is the University of Aberdeen a prestigious University?

self-explanatory title
Relative to what/where?
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Why do you care? Surely its the degree and to a much lesser extent the social life that are important?
Reply 3
It depends to what you compare it with......
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Aj12
Why do you care? Surely its the degree and to a much lesser extent the social life that are important?

Surely this is what he is talking about? How can social life be prestigious?

Aberdeen is decent but is not at the same level as Edinburgh or St. Andrews for most subjects. It has a good international reputation in medicine and in the geosciences that I am aware of. It was ranked 157th globally last year which is not too bad.
Reply 5
For a while a few years ago it was ranked as the best law school in Scotland, about 2008 it was 5th in UK behind Oxbridge, UCL and LSE.
Reply 6
Its been declining heavily in the league tables ever since RamocitoMorales started posting on this forum. Constantly preaching about Aberdeen.

A friend when there on an open day, there seems to be one colour scheme and that is grey. Aberseen isnt that presitgious when compared with other unis in Scotland and England
It's one of the original unis, but these days it's always ranked up in the 30s for most subjects. Although it's still highly regarded for Medicine and Law.
Reply 8
Original post by kebabmonk
It depends with which universities you are also applying to.

In scotland, it is known as one of the best, but then again, there are not many good universities in Scotland.

Overall..... not prestigous like Durham, Warwick standard, but surely just under Manchester, Edinburgh standard.

I hope you're not implying that most of the universities in Scotland are pants...
Reply 9
It's as prestigious as you want it to be. In other words: prestige is subjective.
It's not considered prestigious by the locals, and I say this as someone who went to school and grew up in the Shire. It's considered to provide a strong education in most subjects to us locals and that's why so many of us apply there.
Reply 11
Aberdeen University rank in the UK is 22nd , do not judge the university because you do not like the city .
Reply 12
Original post by heyitsmika
The Uni of Aberdeen has recently been climbing up the uni rankings again. It was named Scottish University of the Year, and has now even surpassed St Andrews, according to the Times Higher Education Ranking 2019.

Of course no one believes Aberdeen is better than St. Andrews. Let me guess, you go to Aberdeen?
Of course it is prestigious. It’s a 525 year old ancient Scottish university with a rich history and heritage. Delivering the best courses in the UK from Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering, Law, and Psychology to name a few, from an astounding campus.

Consistently in the Top 25 UK uni rankings, and Scottish University of the year 2019 as well as Top 20 UK uni according to the 2020 Guardian. Aberdeen consistently outranks other Russel Group (postgrad research intense) universities with its research quality as well as high student spending and the award winning Sir Duncan Rice library.

The answer is yes, this 525 year old institution is highly prestigious and offers a great deal to any prospective student wishing to enhance their education.
(edited 1 year ago)
The ranking I was looking at last night said it was fourth in Scotland, just behind St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow. My understanding is Aberdeen is a solid good university. I don’t think it has a reputation as particularly prestigious, but I’m unsure of what that even means and how much it accounts for, to be honest.
Original post by 3Engineer141592
Of course it is prestigious. It’s a 525 year old ancient Scottish university with a rich history and heritage. Delivering the best courses in the UK from Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering, Law, and Psychology to name a few, from an astounding campus.

Consistently in the Top 25 UK uni rankings, and Scottish University of the year 2019 as well as Top 20 UK uni according to the 2020 Guardian. Aberdeen consistently outranks other Russel Group (postgrad research intense) universities with its research quality as well as high student spending and the award winning Sir Duncan Rice library.

The answer is yes, it is highly prestigious and offers a great deal to any prospective student wishing to enhance their education.

Applied Mathematics enrolled 2021 student here with UoA. When you have had alumni such as Colin Maclaurin (One of greats) you know theres a deep history in the campus.
Original post by Shaqiloheal
Applied Mathematics enrolled 2021 student here with UoA. When you have had alumni such as Colin Maclaurin (One of greats) you know theres a deep history in the campus.

Exactly! You’ll love your time here! Especially learning at the seat of knowledge where James Maxwell-Clerk, Raymond Damadian as well as other Nobel Prize Winners studied and taught at!
The University of Aberdeen is one of the most underrated, if not, the most in the UK. It continues to baffle me how people rank/view it so lowly despite being one of the ancients (5th oldest in the English-speaking world) and consistently in the top 20 Nationally and Top 150-200 Globally. Further reading shows some of its alumni became founders of institutes such as UCL and HKU (both of which are ironically now more popular). Perhaps a testament to its continuous high caliber of teaching excellence across literal centuries?

Predates most of the RG unis and outperforms the lower end of that group (QUB, Cardiff, etc.)
Then again people look into the Russel Group brand too much and misunderstand that it is primarily an indication of research-intensive Universities. Nothing more, nothing less.

BUTTTTTTTT I wouldn't call it prestigious. Maybe 100 years ago when it was actively producing Nobel Laureates(5) or another 100 years before that with Thomas Sutherland(founder of HSBC), Patrick Manson (founder of LSHT), or another 100 years before that with the architect who designed the Capitol Hill of the United States. Sucks that nowadays they only have recent graduates who inhabit the zenith of Scotland's legal system and a game thrones actor.

Lord Advocate, Lord President? What are those? are they tasty?
(edited 1 year ago)
From the US, I certainly believe so. The student credentials are terrific.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending