The Atkins Diet Horizon program tonight Watch

This discussion is closed.
AndrewJameson
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What do u think about the atkins diet? Do you think its evil? I couldnt afford to buy 50 tonnes of meat even if I wanted to go on it.
mrmarsupial
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ooo Im gonna go on this diet on monday but I am only going to eat chicken fillets, will I die doing this?

Thanks
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Here's a radical new diet to get in shape: Don't eat cake, you gluttons.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mrmarsupial)
ooo Im gonna go on this diet on monday but I am only going to eat chicken fillets, will I die doing this?

Thanks
Have you got the book?

If not, read it first, it's advisable.
mrmarsupial
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did have the book but I burnt it awhile back after an unsucessful attempt

G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

lol, ok i get the point. Perhaps you should get another copy of the book to refresh your memory about the new eating habits. It is only within the last century that carbohydrates has become such a large part of our diets. Thousands of years ago people ate barely any carbohydrates and they lived fine so i don't see how the atkins diet is going to kill you if you follow it correctly.
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

hahahaahha
cipapfatso
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Please don't use the atkins diet. Consider other options. I see something seriously wrong with eliminating a macronutrient especially carbohydrate - the brain's respiratory substrate. Educate yourself about nutrition. Swallow your pride and go to bodybuilding.com
I'm assuming your a student like me. I followed a 40% protein 40% carbohyrdate 20% fats diet plan (although 30% fats is ideal for male as it promotes testosterone) and succeeded in losing a helluva lot of weight (now im underweight :/) Look into something like that. You get brain fog if you follow ketogenic diets and that ain't good for exams

If you insist on doing a ketogenic diet, look into cyclic ketogenic diets where on weekends you "carb up".

Ideally, just cut out junk food, do a little exercise and don't go crazy

As you can tell i absolutely hate the atkins diet. I've never tried it, but simple logic tells me its bad. Ketosis = body in state of starvation, uses fat as respiratory substrate.

As for it lowers cholesterol and prevents diabetes....what about the cancers it causes? No fruit? Where will the antioxidants you need come from? Vegetables? You can't eat enough without risking getting kicked out of ketosis. Eating large amounts of meat such as Beef also has been linked to cancers such as prostate cancer.

Finally if for any other reason, I don't want my farts or my breath or my urine to smell as acrid and amazingly vile and horibble as it will on the atkins diet
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cipapfatso)
Please don't use the atkins diet. Consider other options. I see something seriously wrong with eliminating a macronutrient especially carbohydrate - the brain's respiratory substrate. Educate yourself about nutrition. Swallow your pride and go to bodybuilding.com
I'm assuming your a student like me. I followed a 40% protein 40% carbohyrdate 20% fats diet plan (although 30% fats is ideal for male as it promotes testosterone) and succeeded in losing a helluva lot of weight (now im underweight :/) Look into something like that. You get brain fog if you follow ketogenic diets and that ain't good for exams

If you insist on doing a ketogenic diet, look into cyclic ketogenic diets where on weekends you "carb up".

Ideally, just cut out junk food, do a little exercise and don't go crazy

As you can tell i absolutely hate the atkins diet. I've never tried it, but simple logic tells me its bad. Ketosis = body in state of starvation, uses fat as respiratory substrate.

As for it lowers cholesterol and prevents diabetes....what about the cancers it causes? No fruit? Where will the antioxidants you need come from? Vegetables? You can't eat enough without risking getting kicked out of ketosis. Eating large amounts of meat such as Beef also has been linked to cancers such as prostate cancer.

Finally if for any other reason, I don't want my farts or my breath or my urine to smell as acrid and amazingly vile and horibble as it will on the atkins diet
Wow your quite knowledgeable. R u doin a food tech degree or sumthing?

Ive never liked the look of atkins. I reckon it would be good for about a week but after that Id just want a bar of choc or a packet of crisps and no amount of bacon could remove that craving lol. My BMI is 21, I feel ok and I dont think Im in any need of dieting lol.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought you knew alot about the topic until you said this:

(Original post by cipapfatso)

Im not any diet or any programme, I don't make any recommendations to people but I need to say one thing:

The atkins diet does let you eat fruit, it's not a meat diet it's low carb diet. Meaning fruit and vegetables are allowed! Even from what I've read of the book I know that fruits and vegetables are allowed. And more carbs can be introduced into the diet over time.

Thankyou

The reason I make a point of this is that every time there is some 'food expert' on TV or in the paper on to talk about the Atkin's diet they just talk rubbish. The reason why they get so upset about the diet is that

1. They think all you eat is meat, which is wrong...read the book.

2. They don't understand that Dr Atkins was trying to actually analyse and understand what most nutritionalists just accept. In doing so he found that some of the scientific thinking was flawed.

Now I'm not saying Atkins is right or wrong. BUT nobody is doing enough proper research into Dr Atkin research, the scientists are just saying "oh well, Dr Atkins disagrees, but we know we're right because the books say so" but who's to say the books were right in the first place. And if you read the book Dr Atkins make strong arguments about the food we eat and why society had become fatter.

btw, if you burn fat it stinks. When you're starving you're burning fat and your breath stinks. When you're on Atkins you're burning excess fat so your breath will smell but you aren't actually starving. You stop smelling when you loose the fat.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you exercise enough you can eat what you like.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
If you exercise enough you can eat what you like.
Also reverse argument:

You never see obese people in the starving period of Africa.
Sasha D
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got a free 'South beach diet' thingy with a mag once, samantha out of 'sex and the city' used it, its looks quite easy 2 follow.....ne1 heard of it???
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Also reverse argument:

You never see obese people in the starving period of Africa.
Yeah, but obesity only applies to western states like the US and the UK, because we over eat. many people dont have enough money in africa to buy food.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, but obesity only applies to western states like the US and the UK, because we over eat. many people dont have enough money in africa to buy food.
That is the basis of my argument. If you don't put enough food into the body, you become starved, and you lose weight. So if you really want to diet, exercise as well, to keep metabolism up.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
That is the basis of my argument. If you don't put enough food into the body, you become starved, and you lose weight. So if you really want to diet, exercise as well, to keep metabolism up.
Good.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Good.
What do you study in uni?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
What do you study in uni?
The ultimate subject - International Relations, combined with History.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The ultimate subject - International Relations, combined with History.
And what does that get you when you get out of Uni? As in job prospects?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
And what does that get you when you get out of Uni? As in job prospects?
Erm...... well, pretty much anything I guess. With a combo of an arts and social science you're ready for any number of jobs.

I don't know if you've heard of people and planet, a student organisation concerned with the environment, human rights etc etc??? Well, they have a sort of graduate career magazine, with 'ethical' careers, so I might go into that.

Ultimately though, i'd like to advise a pre-emptive US government on foreign policy.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (480)
80%
Leave (120)
20%

Watched Threads