The Student Room Group

How is Anchorman funny in the slightest?

Scroll to see replies

Different senses of humour and all that jazz?
Original post by Rzc
Well it's funny. Both 'go to whitecastle' and 'escape from Guantanemo bay'.

So funny, and if you can imagine... It's 10 times funnier.

Hah, guess I'll have to believe you. :p:
How can you not like Brick Tamland.

I would like to invite you to the pants party.

Where did you get those clothes? the toilet store?

The bit where jack black boots his dog into the water was hilarious too :smile:
Reply 43
I love Anchorman, but found Old School a bit painful to watch, I didn't think it was funny at all.
I find Will Ferrel can be a bit hit or miss.
Reply 44
There's definitely some hilarious one-liners in there, the fight scene is particularly good.

"Come esta bitches! Tonight's top story: the rivers run red with Burgandy's blood!"
"Brick, where did you get a hand grenade? I don't know."

It's a bit overrated but it's good for an hour and a half of silliness.

It's pretty much the only Will Ferrell film I've actually watched more than once though, he's done some really bad films in the last few years.
Reply 45
I attempted to watch it once, got bored after 10 minutes.
I would quote the bit where he reads the question mark on his auto-cue but I spilt tea on my keyboard and broke the question mark key.
Reply 47
Seen it once. The news channel showdown was hilarious.
It's called Sex Panther. 60% of the time, it works 100% of the time.

Well... You look like a blueberry!

YOU SCORPION WOMAN!

It's pure genius, that's why people like it.

IM TRAPPED IN A GLASS BOX OF EMOTION!
BAXTER YOU ATE A WHOLE ROLL OF CHEESE? Heck; I'm not even mad, that's impressive.
Reply 50
I'm Ron Burgandy?
Reply 51
I agree with the OP mostly.
It's funny that lots of people are defending it by just quoting back things from the film. That's what I have always found most annoying about it. Virtually all the lines are just little soundbites designed to be quoted by people who've seen the movie.
Stephen Moffat, the writer of one of my favourite TV sitcoms, Coupling, said that you'll never find a line in that show that's funny on it's own; it always requires the context of the characters and the plot to be funny. The thing about Anchorman is that you can take the silly one liners like "60% of the time it works 100% of the time" and put them in anything for a joke. It's lazy.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's moments. But I think compared with other 'stupid humour' films like the Harold & Kumar, American Pie or Austin Powers films, Anchorman is perhaps a bit too stupid. It doesn't have any subtle humour to balance it out so it feels like it's trying too hard and that's what is so hard to engage with for me.
(edited 13 years ago)
I find it hilarious.
If you don't like it, why do you care? o_o
Everyone has different opinions, have you not learnt that yet?
Original post by ktlaurenroe

Original post by ktlaurenroe
I find it hilarious.
If you don't like it, why do you care? o_o
Everyone has different opinions, have you not learnt that yet?

Have you not learnt the definition of a forum yet? They're pretty dead places if everyone keeps their opinions to themselves.
Original post by Phalanges
Have you not learnt the definition of a forum yet? They're pretty dead places if everyone keeps their opinions to themselves.

Touche.
It's just annoying when people assume their opinion is the right opinion. And I'm pretty fond of Anchorman so I was being a tad too defensive, ha :rolleyes:
Reply 55
I think it's the quoteability of it that makes it funny. I must admit I thought it was awful when I first saw it and I found myself quoting it for a couple of years and wondering why. I then watched it again and found it hilarious!
I don't really like Will Feral but it still had its funny moments, mostly via Steve Carrellll
Original post by G550NDH
haha ! It ain't easy being white .... it ain't easy being brown...

All this pressure to be bright..I GOT CHILDRENS ALL OVER TOWNN!

Arrested development is so good, can't wait for the movie!
Original post by Stalin
It's an optical illusion !!!!

"Don't act like you're not impressed. :sexface:"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending