The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjarvis
The fact that other people would love to have an offer to study at Cambridge doesn't mean the OP wants to go there--any more than it means the people who wanted (and didn't get) offers deserve them. That's not how it works. There are people who could get incredibly stressful jobs in law or finance who decide to focus on other things--like having families or hobbies or (gasp) a life. Academics/work are not all there is to life. (And I say this as someone who puts a lot of stress on both of those--but that's not everyone's cup of tea, and it doesn't have to be.)

I should also note, many people believe Manchester is a beautiful university. There is no question it has a Nobel prize-winning physics department. In any case, undergrad physics is unlikely to get very close to the work that's currently winning nobel prizes, at least in the early years.

Very well put indeed.
Original post by jjarvis
Lol, thanks! I wondered where the big increase in rep had come from. So it's you whom I'm to thank... My posts here seem to be engendering a certain amount of agreement (quite possibly among students who are actually at/went to Oxford or Cambridge and know that it's not for everyone...)

Well you're quite right to discourage people from applying to Cambridge. Terrible place :p:

I think it's coz we know what it can do to people who go in half-heartedly just coz of the prestige :sadnod:
Reply 82
Original post by MoMatrix
This person who replied do you go to Cambridge?

I'm not sure many Cambridge students would be so quick to make a post like this--every Oxford/Cambridge student who has posted in this thread has said it's a tough choice, and a lot of us have said go with Manchester if it feels better.
Reply 83
Original post by im so academic
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

You really annoy me when you do this. You chat so much **** especially on the topic of Oxbridge that to someone new to this forum and unaware that in fact you are just a 14 year old school girl who has little clue apart from her own ambition and dreams of what oxbridge would be like.
Reply 84
Original post by angelmxxx
They're about 14.

Yes, that confirms my suspicions.
Original post by Blackspur
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

First off, congratulations on the Cambridge offer. Second, why don't you firm Cambridge and put Manchester as your insurance and let fate decide?
Reply 86
Don't throw away your happiness over a name, it isn't worth it. People who are telling you that you lack common sense for choosing Manchester how is that so? This person is using their common sense to choose a university they would be happier at, choosing a university that you may end up hating is lacking in common sense.
Reply 87
Regarding im so academic, yes the posts are sometimes rubbish, but she's young and naive.

It strikes me as kinda sad to see a forum full of teenagers gleefully taking down a younger girl :dontknow:
Reply 88
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well you're quite right to discourage people from applying to Cambridge. Terrible place :p:

I think it's coz we know what it can do to people who go in half-heartedly just coz of the prestige :sadnod:

You'll find my feelings on Oxford in my signature.

Spoiler

But in seriousness, I think you're totally right.
Original post by MoMatrix
This person who replied do you go to Cambridge?

Nah. She just thinks she's amazing and everyone else on her hates her. But she's hilarious (for laughing AT of course).

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

Your post, as usual, just makes you seem incredibly naive, people have different world views and preferences to you - social development is as integral a part of not only your personal and intellectual development, but to many, if not most peoples happiness - something not to be casually disregarded as an activity of disutility. Besides that the reflexive notion that Oxbridge will necessarily provide the best forum for academic development for everyone, is, i think, ridiculous; people vary and diverge in prefered enviroments for such wildly, Oxrbridge can't encapsulate all of them.

Your post just reflects an intellectual immaturity which doesn't bode favourably in any sense for you or your future. Grow up.
Reply 91
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...

The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

Plenty of people have turned down offeres in the past. Well done for getting one anyway, but, when it comes down to it, think about whats going to be best for you.

I think it would be bad if you accepted cambridge, and then always wondered 'what if ' - if you work hard at manchester, I doubt its going to damage your future.

Go with where you think you will be happiest - how are you supposed to do your best at cambridge if your not 100% happy.

If that doesnt work, compare your choices of future jobs with natural science / physics (dont base it on what uni it is at) if you want to base it on your future, see what the best job options there are for you/ what career your aiming to go into...r

From the sounds of it, you want to go to Manchester, but your worried that you'll be missing out on future oppotunities having not gone to cambridge.

I think you can be equally sucessfull if you work hard in manchester.
Reply 92

Hello OP :biggrin:

Listen, neither of us will be able to tell you whether or not it is a good choice to choose Manchester over Cambridge.

This decision is for you to decide and you only, regardless whether we disagree with or agree with your decision.

Personally, if I was feeling like you did, I would choose Manchester over Cambridge. Reasons are:

You obviously prefer Manchester because it appeals to you more such as the city and the department.

Sometimes...regardless of the universities prestige...it is perhaps better to choose a univeristy only YOU would be happy with. not your family, not your boyfriend/girlfriend, and certainly not us :smile:

It's like choosing a job. would you prefer to do a job that doesn't pay as well but you love that job, or you would do a job that pays extermely well but would upset you constantly??
Reply 93
Go to where your heart tells you to.
Reply 94
Original post by Firaila
Regarding im so academic, yes the posts are sometimes rubbish, but she's young and naive.

It strikes me as kinda sad to see a forum full of teenagers gleefully taking down a younger girl :dontknow:

Even though everyone on this forum who knows something about the topic states and shows her how wrong she is, she continues to preach the same *******s. She's a troll.

Also OP: You won't have your bit of paper with 'Cambridge' enscribed upon it when you die. What you will have is memories of happy times :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Firaila

I really don't see how gender comes into this, let alone age.
Reply 96
Natsci's have an absolute blast!! Cambridge is jokes. Google 'Cinides stories', bet most of them Lads are Natscis :smile:

There is some pressure, but at least the work is never boring, and your learning off the best people so it's actually easier in some-ways to pick up.

its up to you mate.
I'm not so sure now that I'm So Academic is actually real. 'She' could just be the world's best troll...
Original post by Firaila

I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen isa make sensible posts (shocked me to the core, I tell you :biggrin: ) recently. This outburst - whilst typical of the normal isa style - is different to other posts isa has recently made about Oxbridge. So unless it's someone hacking the account big time and a lot, or some kind of personality disorder, one can assume troll or incredibly stupid. Imho, of course :yes:

Original post by jjarvis
You'll find my feelings on Oxford in my signature.

Spoiler

But in seriousness, I think you're totally right.

Well my digs at Cambridge have absolutely nothing to do with the fact I'd have never got anywhere near the place :ninja: (Though I suspect most other Oxford tutors wouldn't have had me either, but that's a different story :wink: )
Reply 99

Teehee :P

I think, I THINK, that you've been made public enemy number one with nearly all of TSR :P

Latest