This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
each day something horrifies me....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../22/nivf22.xml

Single and lesbian women would be given the same rights to IVF treatment as heterosexual couples under proposals from the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority.

The authority, which regulates fertility treatments, is calling for a change in the law that requires any woman who wants a baby to provide a father figure.

Suzi Leather, the authority's chairman, said yesterday that the clause in the HFEA Act of 1991 was out of date. Society's views had moved on.

Her statements were criticised by organisations that promote traditional family values. They accused her of undermining the role of fathers and of putting the desires of adults before children's welfare.

The clause Mrs Leather wants removed calls on doctors in fertility clinics to "take account of the need of a child for a father" when assessing a single woman who wants to have a baby.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../ixportal.html

this country is going backwards.
tofu
Report 16 years ago
yes i c wat u r sayin but also think if u were in tht position and all u really wanted is to b accepted by some one who understands u and loves u and u wanted to have children with this person because it was now possible and from years of people thinking that u r wierd because u r different u now ave everythin u ever wanted! do u see my point
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tofu)
yes i c wat u r sayin but also think if u were in tht position and all u really wanted is to b accepted by some one who understands u and loves u and u wanted to have children with this person because it was now possible and from years of people thinking that u r wierd because u r different u now ave everythin u ever wanted! do u see my point
No sorry I really don't.
Vienna
Rep:
?
(Original post by tofu)
yes. and its selfish.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
yes. and its selfish.
I wouldnt go as far as saying that! Many children grow up without dads nowadays. If you were ugly and couldnt find a boyfriend but you wanted a baby how would you feel?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ****)
So what just because they prefer to lick minge doesnt mean that they should be denied the right to have children. Grow up
Is a username like that allowed?

The problem is, would you like not to have a father? How would the poor kids fit in at school if they had to tell everyone they had two mums? How would the teacher explain to little kids why he has another mum instead of a dad?
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Single and lesbian women would be given the same rights to IVF treatment as heterosexual couples under proposals from the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority.

The authority, which regulates fertility treatments, is calling for a change in the law that requires any woman who wants a baby to provide a father figure.

Suzi Leather, the authority's chairman, said yesterday that the clause in the HFEA Act of 1991 was out of date. Society's views had moved on.

Her statements were criticised by organisations that promote traditional family values. They accused her of undermining the role of fathers and of putting the desires of adults before children's welfare.

The clause Mrs Leather wants removed calls on doctors in fertility clinics to "take account of the need of a child for a father" when assessing a single woman who wants to have a baby.

although i am against it in principle, i think that anyone who really wants a child that much will get it. at the moment lesbians can resort to buying sperm on the internet or sleeping with a man whom they may pay for his 'services'. surely providing them with IVF will just decrease the risk for a child- there will be full medical examinations for donors instead of the lottery that is the internet... if someone really wants something, they will often get it- it's just being made safer.

lou xxx
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
although i am against it in principle, i think that anyone who really wants a child that much will get it. at the moment lesbians can resort to buying sperm on the internet or sleeping with a man whom they may pay for his 'services'. surely providing them with IVF will just decrease the risk for a child- there will be full medical examinations for donors instead of the lottery that is the internet... if someone really wants something, they will often get it- it's just being made safer.

lou xxx
Why are you against it in principle, may I ask?
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Why are you against it in principle, may I ask?
same reasons as other people- a child should know who their father is, not have 2 mums etc... but hey if someone wants a kid that much, then make it as safe + official as possible.

lou xxx
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

i can see where you are coming from with this approach, but dont wholeheartedly agree.

although i am not saying it is right, single parent families exist in increasing numbers. true, in some cases these are not stable, but then again, sometimes neither are dual-parent families.

it occurs to me that if a woman wants a child that much, and is willing to pay for it / got hrough long and often painful treatment to have a child, this suggests a deep longing for offspring making it highly unlikely they will neglect or mistreat the child.

in the case of lesbian couples, there is no single-parent family, just a single-sex one, and this would be the same as a child not seeing their fatehr in a single paretn relationship.

on the family values, 1 man, 1 woman in a marriage, 2.4 children and a dog model the articles you posted seem to favour, this seems somewhat blinkered to the polarisation and pulls of modern life. also it seems that society's views have moved on from 1991 (13 years ago, now), and i would say that single - parent, or single-sex relationships are hugely more accepted. children will of course get teased at school for things like this, but then again, kids will tease others for having a silly name, or not wearing expensive enough trainers, so i think its somewhat unavviodable to play the bullying card.

i did give this one careful thought, but can't agree with you.
Vienna
Rep:
?
(Original post by *dave*)
I wouldnt go as far as saying that! Many children grow up without dads nowadays.
just because social trends exist doesnt make them right'.

If you were ugly and couldnt find a boyfriend but you wanted a baby how would you feel?
like i shouldnt have a child to make myself feel better.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
...it does, however, make them accepted, which is at least partially where the point lies...
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My mom and dad split up when I was about three-four weeks old, and I turned out alright, I think...
Vienna
Rep:
?
(Original post by El_Borish)
...it does, however, make them accepted, which is at least partially where the point lies...
and i think thats quite disturbing..
discrimination was accepted, it didnt make it right.
Vienna
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linda)
My mom and dad split up when I was about three-four weeks old, and I turned out alright, I think...
u still have a father
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
u still have a father
whose name is not even listen on my birth sertificate, but alright... If having a father whom I do not know makes me a better person somehow in your eyes, then oki...
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

like i shouldnt have a child to make myself feel better.
Quite right. I totally agree with you.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no, you're quite right, but that wasn't my main point
[see big post further up]
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
u still have a father
Wont they still have fathers? This isn't cloning we are talking about.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
'Make it right'? Who says wots wrong and right in society? We arent talking about murder. Just because youre a lesbian doesn't mean that you shouldnt be allowed to have children. Ive grown up most of my life without my dad and im fine about it. It hasnt ruined me lol (although I could possibly blame my cambridge rejection on it lol )
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (219)
68.01%
No (103)
31.99%

Watched Threads