The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
2 maths students couldn't do an AS-level integral... Interesting. :s-smilie:
Original post by Zuzuzu

Be fair - they'd obviously be able to do that in real life. They're on a TV programme and the pressure is immense. If I were ever in that situation I'd fall apart and probably be awful!

I'm hoping for an all-northern final.
Reply 22
Original post by Rananagirl
Oh god I love it sososo much!!

My boyfriend and I watch it religiously every Monday, 'cause we're just that cool.

I love McComish from Magdalen, Oxford. Anybody else notice the milisecond before he says his answer where he appears to have some kind of beautiful epiphany and looks up to the heavens?

Fab.

Also, there is no better feeling than the uber-smugness when you know an answer none of the contestants did.

Is that the guy who does the physics Phd?

If so I know, he is my favourite contestant!
Reply 23
Original post by Zuzuzu

I'm a maths student and I can't answer 90% of the maths questions quickly, I just crack under the pressure of working it out before one of the contestants do. And I'm not even on the show!

Anyway that match was insane. Real nailbiting contest. But York won! Hooray!
Reply 24
Original post by Zuzuzu

I bet Jackson could have! I love Jackson :love:
Reply 25
Original post by Dragon
I'm a maths student and I can't answer 90% of the maths questions quickly, I just crack under the pressure of working it out before one of the contestants do. And I'm not even on the show!

Anyway that match was insane. Real nailbiting contest. But York won! Hooray!

A quick look at your profile reveals you're doing maths and computer science at York, and you've also commented on a UC thread... Are you Donnelly? :biggrin:

EDIT: I didn't see where you said you're not on the show. There's that theory out of the window!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
No, but I am good friends with him, which was my motivation to start watching University Challenge. I never watched it before this series.
Reply 27
Original post by bluesky42
I bet Jackson could have! I love Jackson :love:

Bolton, Sheffield > Wilson, St. Johns > everyone else
Reply 28
I love university challenge. There is no better feeling than playing along and beating one of the teams.
Original post by rainbow drops
Omfg I nearly had a heart attack when we absolutely crumbled at the end. But we're still living the dream :awesome:

I know!! When he lost 5 points at the end for interrupting when he clearly didnt know the answer! Saved by the bell I think would be appropriate to say here!!

Bring on the Semis!!
4 Semi finalists: Cambridge, Oxford (both obvious) then York and Sheffield...who said anything about a north-south divide?!
Be fair - they'd obviously be able to do that in real life. They're on a TV programme and the pressure is immense. If I were ever in that situation I'd fall apart and probably be awful!

I'm hoping for an all-northern final.

Me too!! But it doesnt matter whos going to be there because York will win and beat off any competition!!

I got that maths question right by the way and im in yr 12!!
Reply 31
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
does anyone else watch it then? :smile:. i think i'm at the point where i have an unhealthy obsession with the show!
has anybody got a fave team this year then?

all comments/opinions appreciate xoxoxo

I do watch it. It's quite interesting. Haven't watched many episodes, but you can learn a lot of stuff from it really. Just crap that Nottingham is not in there for some reason. (WHY???)
I got to the final team of 8 for our Uni before I was cut.

My lack of movie/classical music/literature knowledge let me down apparently. :sad:
Reply 33
Classical music is used way too frequently on University Challenge. I want to see a metal music round just once so I can get all the questions and feel slightly better about myself.
did anyone realise how super duper clemo was last night? the boy was on fire!
and i achieved 6 correct answers last night, personal best :wink:
Reply 35
Anyone else excited for tomorrow?
Anyone else excited for tomorrow?

Im excited for tonight...2 1/2 hrs!! York vs Sheffield tonight...

Does anyone else think they shouldve done say york vs cambridge then sheffield vs oxford to give york and sheffield a chance to both be in the final?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Im excited for tonight...2 1/2 hrs!! York vs Sheffield tonight...

Does anyone else think they shouldve done say york vs cambridge then sheffield vs oxford to give york and sheffield a chance to both be in the final?

Yes. At least there's now no chance of a snoreworthy all-Oxbridge final though.
Reply 38
Yes. At least there's now no chance of a snoreworthy all-Oxbridge final though.

Waittt I thought it was Sheffield and Peterhouse today and York and Magdalen next week.... :confused:
Waittt I thought it was Sheffield and Peterhouse today and York and Magdalen next week.... :confused:

No its York v Sheffield tonight!

Come on york!!! The team even got an article in the local paper today!

Quick Reply

Latest