The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringGenius

I'm not sure, but as ICL, UCL and KCL, are all colleges of the University of London, does that mean they're like the colleges from Oxbridge? Or are they different entirely?

I think it's treated differently, ICL aren't members any more anyway! But it seems that they're treated as very different universities, I mean you don't apply to the University of London primarily and then get allocated, you apply to UCL/KCL/QMUL etc in their own right.
Reply 781
I don't think I've missed an episode in 3/4 years, probably my favourite show along with Question Time.

Don't really support a university team, I haven't known anyone in them so i'm indifferent.

My record for questions right in a show is 5 or 6 in the last episode. Usually I'm only getting 2/3 questions correct on episodes, sucks.
Reply 782
Article in the Daily Mail about UC and the online harrassment that people - especially women - receive after appearing on the show...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034596/Female-University-Challenge-contestants-seek-help-suffering-online-hate-campaigns.html

keth
xx
Original post by BJack
I don't think many other universities could field multiple strong teams, given how infrequently a lot of universities' combined teams make appearances. What I meant about Oxbridge getting more bites of the cherry is that for the casual viewer (or even a lot of dedicated UC fans), it's probably more interesting to see two different universities playing each other rather than a couple of Oxbridge colleges. Above all, UC is meant to be an entertainment show for the viewers.

Yeah i totally get where you're coming from. It can get a bit boring when oxford play cambridge but at the same time i think it'd be unfair just to let them have one team each. They are meant to supposedly contain the most intelligent people..... I think there should never be oxford v cambridge but they can play numerous times just against different apponenets.... Oh it is certainly entertainment!!!

Original post by kethry
As I understand it, Universities like Lancaster have colleges for Accommodation only. Oxford and Cambridge are the only two to have a collegiate system for teaching purposes as well, and thats why they're treated differently. *shrugs*. I'm quite happy for someone to correct me, but that's my understanding at present.

keth
xx

Oh yeah. :/ Sorry. No you're right im wrong.....
Original post by kethry
Article in the Daily Mail about UC and the online harrassment that people - especially women - receive after appearing on the show...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034596/Female-University-Challenge-contestants-seek-help-suffering-online-hate-campaigns.html

keth
xx

Anyone who thinks someone who appears on UC is dumb because of something as trivial as hair colour probably proves themselves to be not intelligent enough to go on it. Not least a student at Oxford University.

And Gail Trimble isn't bad looking. People being nasty are just sad, lonely, broken people who don't have the intellect for UC, and don't have a life outside of their hateful little minds.

There is actually a positive correlation between intelligence and beauty...

Alas, I am an exception to the rule. :frown:
Reply 785
Anyone who thinks someone who appears on UC is dumb because of something as trivial as hair colour probably proves themselves to be not intelligent enough to go on it. Not least a student at Oxford University.

And Gail Trimble isn't bad looking. People being nasty are just sad, lonely, broken people who don't have the intellect for UC, and don't have a life outside of their hateful little minds.

There is actually a positive correlation between intelligence and beauty...

Alas, I am an exception to the rule. :frown:

couldn't agree more with everything you said, except the part about you being an exception to the rule - logically, I couldn't, as I don't know you from Adam! but yes, they are sad little people, I agree. I just hope I don't run into this attitude at Uni. they'll get short thrift off me if I do.
Original post by kethry
couldn't agree more with everything you said, except the part about you being an exception to the rule - logically, I couldn't, as I don't know you from Adam! but yes, they are sad little people, I agree. I just hope I don't run into this attitude at Uni. they'll get short thrift off me if I do.

The people I don't like are those who get good grades and feel they have an entitlement to respect. I was walking around school with one of these (prefect duties... Urgh...) who started insulting the intelligence of some people were smoking, in an attempt to get them to move.

They reacted badly and he went of to file a report to a teacher. I managed to ask them to cut it out without being patronising or condescending. They quickly stopped and moved on.

1) arrogance doesn't get you what you want in life. 2) people don't want to know unagreeable people. I may be known as the school nerd, but I am quite popular around school and people know if they ask, I will give help for CW etc. I won't do coursework, but I'll offer advice on who to plan essays etc.
Does anyone here have certain topic which they are really good at/ have passion for which are outside of the usual pattern of general knowlege?

For me, I am interested in cartography so remember things like the capital cities of the world, US states, Canadian and Australian Provinces/Territories.

I also like baroque music and know the numbers of each of the Brandenburg Concertoes by sound and most of Bach's work (love that guy <3 )

It's sad none fo those come up in UC often :frown:
I do watch it yes!
I feel so clever when I can answer a question, haha!
Reply 789
I'm weirdly obsessed with it i do stuff on monday evenings so i have to watch it on replay as soon as i get back and demand complete silence apart from attempts to answer questions
Reply 790
Does anyone here have certain topic which they are really good at/ have passion for which are outside of the usual pattern of general knowlege?

For me, I am interested in cartography so remember things like the capital cities of the world, US states, Canadian and Australian Provinces/Territories.

I also like baroque music and know the numbers of each of the Brandenburg Concertoes by sound and most of Bach's work (love that guy <3 )

It's sad none fo those come up in UC often :frown:

History/Archaeology/Classics, though that obviously goes with my degree territory I suppose. Philosophy not bad, I'm pretty decent with general knowledge and I do ok on music (apparently rather well on Eurovision as I found the other week....).
However, on the other hand, I have never got a maths question, ever, I don't especially like those "Name 3 rhyming words that mean ..." type ones (I lose track of the earlier clues, I think I'm likely dyslexic), and I don't think I've ever got an art one besides using luck and shouting "Rembrandt, Turner, Monet!"

I don't think I'd be a bad contestant, I'm fairly certain there are often team members who say less than I would (but then who can account for the camera pressure?), but I'd definitely be something of a polarised one. I'd need other team members who offset the areas where I'm lacking.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 791
The people I don't like are those who get good grades and feel they have an entitlement to respect. I was walking around school with one of these (prefect duties... Urgh...) who started insulting the intelligence of some people were smoking, in an attempt to get them to move.

They reacted badly and he went of to file a report to a teacher. I managed to ask them to cut it out without being patronising or condescending. They quickly stopped and moved on.

1) arrogance doesn't get you what you want in life. 2) people don't want to know unagreeable people. I may be known as the school nerd, but I am quite popular around school and people know if they ask, I will give help for CW etc. I won't do coursework, but I'll offer advice on who to plan essays etc.

I'd agree with you there too, about good grades and respect, but when I said sad little people, I was referring to bullies, of any kind, more than anyone else. Apologies if that wasn't clear. :smile:

keth
xx
Original post by Craig_D
History/Archaeology/Classics, though that obviously goes with my degree territory I suppose. Philosophy not bad, I'm pretty decent with general knowledge and I do ok on music (apparently rather well on Eurovision as I found the other week....).
However, on the other hand, I have never got a maths question, ever, I don't especially like those &quot;Name 3 rhyming words that mean ...&quot; type ones (I lose track of the earlier clues, I think I'm likely dyslexic), and I don't think I've ever got an art one besides using luck and shouting &quot;Rembrandt, Turner, Monet!&quot;

I don't think I'd be a bad contestant, I'm fairly certain there are often team members who say less than I would (but then who can account for the camera pressure?), but I'd definitely be something of a polarised one. I'd need other team members who offset the areas where I'm lacking.

Those questions make me frustrated. I don't think your dyslecxic as I have the same trouble. The clues are normally easy, just spewed out too quickly for me to take them in.

I find some maths questions with ratios, factorials etc are quite straightforward and normalcy involve a long winded and pointlessly extravagant question with a small number answer like 2 or 15. Others, are the names of shapes with 46853 sides which I dnnt have a clue about.

I'm not sure if I'd be a good contestant. I fear I would be over enthusiastic and answer a ton of questions wrong. Also, areas of literature, economics, modern music, film, quotes and actual languages. M ok at language origins tho. I definately wouldn't be a good captain as I would say what I thought wit listening to the person next to me.

Original post by kethry
I'd agree with you there too, about good grades and respect, but when I said sad little people, I was referring to bullies, of any kind, more than anyone else. Apologies if that wasn't clear. :smile:

keth
xx

No, that was me for not listening. :smile: I'm a dreadful listener :smile:
Reply 793
What kind of classical music is commonly played on University Challenge, can anyone suggest particular albums worth listening to? I'm pretty good with Vivaldi's works but apart from that not much!
Reply 794
Original post by RobertWhite
What kind of classical music is commonly played on University Challenge, can anyone suggest particular albums worth listening to? I'm pretty good with Vivaldi's works but apart from that not much!

To be honest, I haven't noticed any sort of theme or anything among them. Knowing the major works is useful, but sometimes they throw out some right curveballs.
Reply 795
what's the name of the theme for University Challenge? Thanks :smile:
Reply 796
Original post by Bezzler
To be honest, I haven't noticed any sort of theme or anything among them. Knowing the major works is useful, but sometimes they throw out some right curveballs.

Any cd you know that have the major works? :biggrin:
Reply 797

I'll recommend you these if you're interested in getting more acquainted with classical music:

Bach - Violin Concertos

Saint-Saens

Mozart - Piano Concertos

Chopin - Nocturnes

Lizst is probably a good one to know but I'm not too familiar with him.
Reply 798
Original post by mevidek
what's the name of the theme for University Challenge? Thanks :smile:

I think the University Challenge theme is just created for the show. Doesn't have a name as far as I know.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090814122228AAivohS
Reply 799

Um, it would have to be more than one cd! It's not as though there's some sort of comprehensive list of major works, that's more a vague general idea.

Quick Reply

Latest