The Student Room Group

How long does it take to write a 2500 word essay ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Takes me about 6 hours from start to finish with just about no preparation for a B. (Well...usually about 3 hours of sitting on facebook chat moaning about the essay is my preparation.)

Saying that, ad to write a Personal Learning Account (500 words) and had no idea what a PLA was nevermind what to put in it, but at the time was sitting in IT Lab and girl next to me was waiting for me to finish so we could go to the Union. 30 minutes later and I had something which was apparently "very good" in my course leaders opinion. Amazing what a motivator alcohol is.
(edited 13 years ago)
approximately, 3 hours :biggrin:
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Wow, everyone seems to do essays so quickly. After all the preparation, I tend to take a week to write an essay. But I do mine in little chunks, I get so bored if I do it in large chunks. I'm jealous of people who can do them in a couple of hours though.

It amazes me how quickly some people can write too! I always do mine in advance, usually taking 5 days to write it after doing research. I do numerous drafts, always find parts where extra research is needed and ensure that my arguments make sense.

I probably could write an essay in a few hours, but would not feel very confident about it's quality! I'm very jealous of those who can do that.
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Wow, everyone seems to do essays so quickly. After all the preparation, I tend to take a week to write an essay. But I do mine in little chunks, I get so bored if I do it in large chunks. I'm jealous of people who can do them in a couple of hours though.

Exactly!
Reply 24
As the old saying goes "how long is a piece of string?".

Depends on the person writing it. How they write it. Where they write it. What they are writing about.
Few hours.
Reply 26
how long is a yard of string?
It depends on your mood, how well and quickly you can write, what the essay is on, you can't have a general time.
Reply 28
3-4 hours not including reading.

I just finished a 3000 word one; from 7pm to midnight, with about an hour total on facebook in the middle.

That's just the writing time, though. Reading time depends entirely on how much you know before, could be anything from a couple hours to a couple of days.
Reply 29
Original post by Shuvel
Amazing what a motivator alcohol is.

Even better when consumed during the writing process.

(I don't mean a litre of vodka; more like, 1 pint of beer).
I do mine in just 1 day.
No sleep, more coffee, no watching shows or anything.
It depends on your understanding about the topic anyway and if you already have an idea of what to write.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Well i just wrote 3000 in 7 hours. Depends how much prep you have :smile:
Original post by HJV
3-4 hours not including reading.

I just finished a 3000 word one; from 7pm to midnight, with about an hour total on facebook in the middle.

That's just the writing time, though. Reading time depends entirely on how much you know before, could be anything from a couple hours to a couple of days.

I'd say this is reasonably accurate. I've got first class essays having written them the night before. the key thing is the reading, get a few days of reading done and the essay practically writes itself.
Reply 33
Depends... if all the reading is done and I'm motivated half a day.

If not 2-3.
Original post by grabattack
How long will it take considering i have all the jounals i will need and i have done most of my pre-reading.
It's not a hard or even boring topic, just such a long essay to write for it

Any ideas on time ?

:smile:

How fast can you type? It would take me 2.5 hours, if I'm well versed in the topic. 2500 is standard in 1st and 2nd year, expect them to be longer later. My essays now are all 3500 at the least, mostly 5000-6000. I have two 3,500 word essays due Monday, 10,000-12,000 word dissertation due the 21st and two 5,000 word essays due the 4th of April..it gets annoying when you have people in the library moaning they have two 1,500 word essays due end of Feb! Anyway hope you get on okay, not a bad length at all once you get into your argument. Don't forget if you're struggling you can go 10% under, (or over) so that would make it 2250.
Original post by StarsAreFixed
How fast can you type? It would take me 2.5 hours, if I'm well versed in the topic. 2500 is standard in 1st and 2nd year, expect them to be longer later. My essays now are all 3500 at the least, mostly 5000-6000. I have two 3,500 word essays due Monday, 10,000-12,000 word dissertation due the 21st and two 5,000 word essays due the 4th of April..it gets annoying when you have people in the library moaning they have two 1,500 word essays due end of Feb! Anyway hope you get on okay, not a bad length at all once you get into your argument. Don't forget if you're struggling you can go 10% under, (or over) so that would make it 2250.

Woah, they're long essays! What subject is this?
Original post by Duck and Cover
Woah, they're long essays! What subject is this?

Irish studies..it's interdisciplinary...all of the ones now are history but I have done law, psychology, english and geography ones.
A few hours. Not very long at all tbh if you know what you're talking about.
Omg. Looking at all these answers are making me feel really lazy. I spent 3 weeks writing a 500 word essay and I still don't think it's that good. *facepalm
Reply 39
Original post by Inseriousity.
That's what I was just thinking! I don't take a week but I also do it in little chunks too otherwise it just bores me. 1000 words a day is my average atm

That's a really good way to get a long task done! The Pomodoro method suggests ttthat you set a timer for 25 minutes. When it goes off, you go and do something else for 5 minutes (no more!) then do the same again, working intensively for 25 minutes then 5 minute breaks. This helps you to keep concentration and you'll get more
done in the time you have to write your essay.

Quick Reply

Latest