Edexcel AS Pure Mathematics Watch

This discussion is closed.
danes
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
P1, P2 ,P3 are all marked out of 75 so that totals 225. Any ideas what grade would 180-200 score range earn???
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A, or very high B. Depends on what everyone else gets.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by danes)
P1, P2 ,P3 are all marked out of 75 so that totals 225. Any ideas what grade would 180-200 score range earn???
A good grade A my fellow pure mathematician - you're the only person I've come across that does pure mathematics.

All the way to P6 I say!

J.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
A good grade A my fellow pure mathematician - you're the only person I've come across that does pure mathematics.

All the way to P6 I say!

J.
I will do P6 for A2, our teacher is hell bent on reaching P6, then storm M4 and S4.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You have to remember that with edexcel all raw marks are scaled up to 100 marks UMS, so while the paper may be out of 75 you'll get a mark out of 100.
I know that for one of the november maths module exams for instance to get 100% you only needed 66/75 raw marks :eek:

However working on the assumption that 80% and above is an A, anything over 180 raw marks would most likely equate to a A at a-level, unless all the exams were incredibly easy this time around
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
In contrast you needed 66/75 to get an A in last summers P2
So last summer's P2 was relatively easy?

I got 96/100 UMS in that. I must've made some silly errors then!

J.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
So last summer's P2 was relatively easy?

I got 96/100 UMS in that. I must've made some silly errors then!

J.
I got 96 in it as well I think

96 = 73/75
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
I got 96 in it as well I think

96 = 73/75
i think it's pretty ridiculous the way they get to scale marks up and down so a set percentage get A's...

eg my M1 paper a couple of years back - the final question worth about 8 marks - 6 people i spoke to all had different answers, and ALL came up with 100%
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
i think it's pretty ridiculous the way they get to scale marks up and down so a set percentage get A's...
They do it so that an A in Maths is equivilant to an A, in say Chemistry.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
They do it so that an A in Maths is equivilant to an A, in say Chemistry.
but there is a natural difference between almost any two subjects anyway - what's the point of trying to make something equivalent that isn't supposed to be, and how come more people get A's in maths than chem?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
but there is a natural difference between almost any two subjects anyway - what's the point of trying to make something equivalent that isn't supposed to be, and how come more people get A's in maths than chem?
Because more people take maths than chem.

They are pegged to be the same so that employers can se results rapidly rather than realise that A maths A level is harder tahn a chem A level
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)