The Student Room Group

The BBC [British Born Chinese] Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by EWSW104
Can you still communicate fine in cantonese in HK or does your parents(assuming you go with them) do all the talking there? Yeah the food is great but I heard it's not as cheap as it used to be anymore, though still probably far from expensive.

I can't converse in Cantonese unfortunately :frown:. How about you?. I'm literally a banana - yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Oh well, there's always McDonalds in HK hahaha
All this talk of food is making me hungry!
Reply 182
Original post by Lt93
I can't converse in Cantonese unfortunately :frown:. How about you?. I'm literally a banana - yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Oh well, there's always McDonalds in HK hahaha

I can speak cantonese fluently although there are occasional words that I'm not sure of since they aren't usually used often. So I'd say my cantonese is good, not excellent or anything but enough to be classed as good.
I find some burgers from McDonalds in HK funny. I don't know if you've ever seen it but they once made the buns on the burger from rice. The Yin-Yang burger looks nice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 183
Original post by TheBeesKnees
All this talk of food is making me hungry!

Me too!
Original post by Lt93

Omg my parents always call me a banana haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by EWSW104
I can speak cantonese fluently although there are occasional words that I'm not sure of since they aren't usually used often. So I'd say my cantonese is good, not excellent or anything but enough to be classed as good.
I find some burgers from McDonalds in HK funny. I don't know if you've ever seen it but they once made the buns on the burger from rice. The Yin-Yang burger looks nice.

Self-taught? or Chinese school?. As long you can make sentences and make a conversation, it's all good XD. Really? Asians and their rice :mmm: I haven't heard or seen the Yin-Yang burger O_o. I haven't been in like a year.

Original post by charlottejyp
Omg my parents always call me a banana haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, Bananas unite! XD
Reply 186
Original post by Lt93
Self-taught? or Chinese school?. As long you can make sentences and make a conversation, it's all good XD. Really? Asians and their rice :mmm: I haven't heard or seen the Yin-Yang burger O_o. I haven't been in like a year.

Haha, Bananas unite! XD

Not really self taught or from Chinese school, my parents only speak cantonese at home so I basically learnt it when I was really young from listening to them, I still can't read or write. I wish I was determined enough to self-teach however that's never going to happen and I was lazy in Chinese school so didn't really learn anything from that. You didn't go Chinese school?
EDIT: Sorry for the size...rice burger!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by EWSW104
Not really self taught or from Chinese school, my parents only speak cantonese at home so I basically learnt it when I was really young from listening to them, I still can't read or write. I wish I was determined enough to self-teach however that's never going to happen and I was lazy in Chinese school so didn't really learn anything from that. You didn't go Chinese school?
EDIT: Sorry for the size...rice burger!

Ahhh, I see XD. My parents keeps lecturing me to learn Cantonese. I'm like... too much effort LOL. Even if I learn, there will be hint of British accent in it :colondollar: - sounds too cringey to speak XD. I didn't go to Chinese School :frown:. I think it's better to learn from home than at school.

HOLY... WOW!! Oh my gosh! it reminds me of them Chinese snacks... it looks like rice crispies... do you know what I'm on about?.

That looks delicious :sogood:
Reply 188
Original post by Lt93
Ahhh, I see XD. My parents keeps lecturing me to learn Cantonese. I'm like... too much effort LOL. Even if I learn, there will be hint of British accent in it :colondollar: - sounds too cringey to speak XD. I didn't go to Chinese School :frown:. I think it's better to learn from home than at school.

HOLY... WOW!! Oh my gosh! it reminds me of them Chinese snacks... it looks like rice crispies... do you know what I'm on about?.

That looks delicious :sogood:

It's strange for me, because I clearly sound like I'm from the UK when I speak English but when I speak Cantonese in HK they also say that I speak perfectly and if it wasn't for my clothes they would think that I was a local there. I'm surprised your parents didn't force you to go Chinese school because mine certainly did, I agree that it's better to learn at home but Chinese school was just too funny so I carried on.
Also yes I think I know what you're on about since my mum used to always being home some Chinese snacks and in that pile there used to be a snack that I always commented that it looked like rice krispies.
Reply 189
Original post by EWSW104
That's true but the shops are good in there. The one in Manchester is rubbish and there aren't many good shops in the Birmingham one. Can't comment on the others as these are the only ones I've been to. I agree though it would be much better if it was slightly bigger.

Haha well I shall be sure to check out the Manchester one tomorrow then!
Reply 190
Original post by EWSW104
It's strange for me, because I clearly sound like I'm from the UK when I speak English but when I speak Cantonese in HK they also say that I speak perfectly and if it wasn't for my clothes they would think that I was a local there. I'm surprised your parents didn't force you to go Chinese school because mine certainly did, I agree that it's better to learn at home but Chinese school was just too funny so I carried on.
Also yes I think I know what you're on about since my mum used to always being home some Chinese snacks and in that pile there used to be a snack that I always commented that it looked like rice krispies.

Maybe it's because you speak Cantonese often so you're prone to sound like a local HK person. I don't speak Cantonese often hence why my Cantonese will have British accent in it. Do you go HK every year?. Not every Chinese parents force their children to go Chinese School. Haha, chinese rice crispies XD. My grandma makes them and it's so nice especially with peanuts.

Talking about this one

art1a.jpg
Reply 191
Original post by w77
Haha well I shall be sure to check out the Manchester one tomorrow then!

You're going to get bored very quickly.
Reply 192
Original post by Lt93
Maybe it's because you speak Cantonese often so you're prone to sound like a local HK person. I don't speak Cantonese often hence why my Cantonese will have British accent in it. Do you go HK every year?. Not every Chinese parents force their children to go Chinese School. Haha, chinese rice crispies XD. My grandma makes them and it's so nice especially with peanuts.

Talking about this one

That's true, I only speak Cantonese often when I'm at home. When I'm out even if I know the people I'm with know Cantonese I still speak English. I don't go HK that often although I wouldn't mind if I did, we go once every 2 years. My mum can't make them she just buys it from a Chinese supermarket and yes that was the one I was talking about. You speak to your parents in English?
Reply 193
Original post by EWSW104
That's true, I only speak Cantonese often when I'm at home. When I'm out even if I know the people I'm with know Cantonese I still speak English. I don't go HK that often although I wouldn't mind if I did, we go once every 2 years. My mum can't make them she just buys it from a Chinese supermarket and yes that was the one I was talking about. You speak to your parents in English?

Ah, I see. That's not too bad :biggrin:. My mum can't make it too XD. I think it's best when it's home made. Hm... they speak in different dialect and English. I respond in English and chinglish.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by Lt93
Ah, I see. That's not too bad :biggrin:. My mum can't make it too XD. I think it's best when it's home made. Hm... they speak in different dialect and English. I respond in English and chinglish.

Oh you know another dialect! That's cool, I always wanted to know a different dialect too. Lol so many Chinese respond in chinglish, you need to seriously learn Cantonese.:tongue:
Original post by Lt93

Original post by EWSW104
Oh you know another dialect! That's cool, I always wanted to know a different dialect too. Lol so many Chinese respond in chinglish, you need to seriously learn Cantonese.:tongue:

Learn cantonese by watching all those TV series on TVB, some are seriously good! I speak mandarin (as opposed to cantonese) and I can only understand cantonese cos my mum watches loads of them tv series so I just picked it up aha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 196
Learn cantonese by watching all those TV series on TVB, some are seriously good! I speak mandarin (as opposed to cantonese) and I can only understand cantonese cos my mum watches loads of them tv series so I just picked it up aha

Yeah I have a friend that speaks mandarin and he learnt cantonese the same way as you. I know people say it's a good way to learn it but when I watch stuff that speaks in mandarin(with english subtitles) I can't seem to learn a thing and always think, how do people learn it like this...
Original post by EWSW104
Yeah I have a friend that speaks mandarin and he learnt cantonese the same way as you. I know people say it's a good way to learn it but when I watch stuff that speaks in mandarin(with english subtitles) I can't seem to learn a thing and always think, how do people learn it like this...

Maybe it's because they're similar but the sound is slightly different so it was fairly easy to pick up but I don't really learn anything either when something's in mandarin/cantonese but the subs are english. Maybe try watching something in mandarin but with chinese characters as subs (could certainly recommend you a series haha) :tongue:
Reply 198
Maybe it's because they're similar but the sound is slightly different so it was fairly easy to pick up but I don't really learn anything either when something's in mandarin/cantonese but the subs are english. Maybe try watching something in mandarin but with chinese characters as subs (could certainly recommend you a series haha) :tongue:

I guess that's probably the reason why however if I start watching something in mandarin with chinese subs I would be completely lost as I can't read chinese characters so it would be one hell of a task.:tongue:
What would you recommend out of curiosity?
Reply 199
Original post by EWSW104

Haha, this dialect is mostly spoken by elderly people XD. I seriously do need to learn Cantonese. Having trouble communicating with relatives in HK.

I USE to watch TVB when we had the channel but I stopped. I find it boring now XD. At home, we don't speak Cantonese. That's why I can't speak it.

Quick Reply

Latest