Thanks in advance, so appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Does anyone know anything about:

Elgar Court (self catering)
    Chamberlain Hall (catered)
    Shackleton Hall (catered and new)

Thanks in advance, so appreciated!
    elgar court is around 1.5 km from the main campus uni and opposite chamberlain hall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    elgar court is around 1.5 km from the main campus uni and opposite chamberlain hall
    Thanks for your help, but i kind of meant things you can't find out from the prospectus, like social life, food quality, things like that. Someone advised me not to go to Shackleton Hall, as they said it's going to be really noisy? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, but i kind of meant things you can't find out from the prospectus, like social life, food quality, things like that. Someone advised me not to go to Shackleton Hall, as they said it's going to be really noisy? :confused:
    is that a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    is that a bad thing?
    basically i spoke to a friend of a friend at Bham who is some accommodation official and is involved in the development of Shackleton Hall, and when i asked him about it, he kinda ummed and aahhed for a while and eventually was like, don't go there, we've applied to hold all the parties there...i thought "great"! but he was like, no really, don't go...*mystified*

perhaps he meant they're going to hold all the 2nd and 3rd year parties there??

ReputationRep:
    basically i spoke to a friend of a friend at Bham who is some accommodation official and is involved in the development of Shackleton Hall, and when i asked him about it, he kinda ummed and aahhed for a while and eventually was like, don't go there, we've applied to hold all the parties there...i thought "great"! but he was like, no really, don't go...*mystified*

perhaps he meant they're going to hold all the 2nd and 3rd year parties there??
    is birmingham your first choice? anyway with birmingham there's not that much accommodation to choose from, and whether or not it's real noisy isn't really going to stop you from going there if it is your first choice

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely putting b'ham as my first choice too and have just received the accomodation booklet. God they give you a tiny picture and a few lines and expect you to decide. what a nightmare! it's a bit weird they just put you wherever though. are you going to write your preferences on the end bit of the form serendipity or would they just ignore that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairey)
    I'm definitely putting b'ham as my first choice too and have just received the accomodation booklet. God they give you a tiny picture and a few lines and expect you to decide. what a nightmare! it's a bit weird they just put you wherever though. are you going to write your preferences on the end bit of the form serendipity or would they just ignore that?
    Yeh i reckon i'll just stick it at the end of the application form. What have you got an offer for?

ReputationRep:
    is that a bad thing?
    When you're trying to sleep.... yes.

ReputationRep:
    sorry for the delay in replying i went straight off the internet after i'd written that post. My offer is BBB for modern languages (french, spanish and portuguese).If you're doing english then i might see you when we get there- humanities may be taught near to each other or something like that, that's my reasoning anyway. good luck! xxx

ReputationRep:
    i'm gonna apply for self catering
    was thinking of hunters court but read somewhere that students taking a short cut to get to the main campus have been mugged a few times :mad:
    so now i'll have to consider maple bank
    but i really gotta search up some more info

ReputationRep:
    i visited some friends there in manor hall at the weekend - i suggest you go there! they are nice rooms, with nice ensuites, and seem to have nice people too, set in nice grounds. although quite a way from the campus it is on a bus route to the uni, and although it is catered and the food is a bit pants (except for brunch on sundays which i thought was quite nice) apparently it works out the same money wise compared to self catered. go for manor!

ReputationRep:
    MrIceKool- I've visited friends in maple bank and it seems pretty good to me. Sure, the rooms are a little on the small size, but they have a decent sized kitchen/lounge area as well as a decent sized bathroom/kitchen. I reckon it's a pretty good choice considering how much it is, at least it is compared to my hall lol.

ReputationRep:
    i'm only wrote it coz its one of the cheapest lol
    nah i'm considering it because i don't wanna pay a huge amount for accomodation seeing as i'll have to get through the whole year

ReputationRep:
    I'll start by saying that I stayed in halls there, so make of this what you will:

First, it is probably best to avoid all catered halls of residence. You will almost certainly regret choosing Chamberlain Hall: everything about the place is worthy of avoidance from the furniture to the food.

Secondly, it is probably cheaper to go self catering. The standard of living is higher. Even accounting for moderate spending on food you will still spend less over the course of the year.

In addition, you will probably mix with just as many people as in halls: residences tend to team together for social events etc.

Consider proximity to campus: I had friends in Queens Hospital Close who had to get the bus in each day. You want to be flexible when at uni. The Vale is fantastic with its greenery, summer barbeques, fireworks and occasionally even fairgrounds, while being only a 15 minute walk from campus.

Finally, it's probably reassuring to know that all Birmingham accommodation is reasonably sized: you won't have any issues with box-sized rooms.

Hope this helps.
    Anyway,

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.