The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Applying to Imperial - with very unusual circumstances

I applied to Imperial for chem eng,
But I dont actually have any of the grades they require.

I failed my last year of A levels getting AEE, in Maths, Physics and Chemistry

I was suffering from severe depression during A2 year and rarely attended college, and flopped epically.

This year, having made a full recovery i'm retaking my course and A levels, with a prediction of A*AA
i've applied to Imperial.. and I was wondering how slim my chances are?
Do I even stand a chance lol?

I explained in my PS why i'm currently at grades AEE, and my teacher gave me an awesome reference, stating my predicitons and confirming i was unwell.

My GCSES grades stand at 4A*s and 4As..
And I guess my PS is half decent,

Just wanted your guys opinions, on what you think :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sifr

I was suffering from severe depression during A2 year and rarely attended college, and flopped epically.

This year, having made a full recovery i'm retaking my course and A levels, with a prediction of A*AA

I explained in my PS why i'm currently at grades AEE, and my teacher gave me an awesome reference, stating my predicitons and confirming i was unwell.

Yes, you stand a chance.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Sifr

It seems that you are perfectly fine, although you might want to double-check whether they allow retakes.
Original post by Sifr

you stand as much of a chance as this lady...

Reply 4
Original post by Sifr

Our opinions are as valid as yours.

Email the admission tutors, not students on a student forum.
Reply 5
As long as your extenuating circumstances are made clear in your application, they will consider you.
Just email the admission tutor if you have any doubt, explaining your circumstances if you have not dones so.

Your predicted grades will be in your favour.
Reply 7
Original post by Sifr

The fact that you've bounced back well speaks volumes about your capabilities and character. :smile: And it definitely makes you stand out too, in a good way (if I were on the ad committee, I'd definitely remember your application well.)

I don't see how it should work against you, and seeing as you've got a great reference + decent grades (with good A2 predictions - I assume your AS levels weren't bad either?), why not? It's people who do look at these app folders/interview you, and I assure you that they *will* have a heart. :smile: I'm pretty sure they did for me.

I know a guy who is also redoing his 2nd year of A-levels - I actually met him at interview. So who's to say you won't get to that stage too just because you're doing retakes?

Also, having your circumstances explained in your reference should cover it. If (more like when :biggrin:) you get an interview, do be prepared to discuss about it, as ad tutors will naturally be very interested in these things (in a good way :wink:)

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by arianex
The fact that you've bounced back well speaks volumes about your capabilities and character. :smile: And it definitely makes you stand out too, in a good way (if I were on the ad committee, I'd definitely remember your application well.)

I don't see how it should work against you, and seeing as you've got a great reference + decent grades (with good A2 predictions - I assume your AS levels weren't bad either?), why not? It's people who do look at these app folders/interview you, and I assure you that they *will* have a heart. :smile: I'm pretty sure they did for me.

I know a guy who is also redoing his 2nd year of A-levels - I actually met him at interview. So who's to say you won't get to that stage too just because you're doing retakes?

Also, having your circumstances explained in your reference should cover it. If (more like when :biggrin:) you get an interview, do be prepared to discuss about it, as ad tutors will naturally be very interested in these things (in a good way :wink:)

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you :biggrin:

aww thanks :smile:
Thats made me feel optimistic!
Reply 9
I'm amazed to see someone with as similar circumstances as me..

I got AEUe at A level first time round, for the same reasons, and retook in a gap year. I was predicted AAa in the subjects I was retaking, and got an offer from Imperial. I got 3A* 5A at GCSE. I applied for Geology though.

You've got a great chance, basically.
Reply 10
Original post by taheki
I'm amazed to see someone with as similar circumstances as me..

I got AEUe at A level first time round, for the same reasons, and retook in a gap year. I was predicted AAa in the subjects I was retaking, and got an offer from Imperial. I got 3A* 5A at GCSE. I applied for Geology though.

You've got a great chance, basically.

Oh my god!
This has really brought my hopes back up!

Are you currently studying there? Did they ask you about it at your interview?
Reply 11
Original post by Sifr
Oh my god!
This has really brought my hopes back up!

Are you currently studying there? Did they ask you about it at your interview?

Yeah I accepted the offer and got the grades, so I'm at Imperial now. I didn't mention anything about my bad grades or reasons for them on the personal statement - it was all explained on my reference. In my interview they did ask me about it, and I was just honest and explained everything, assuring them I was over it and confident I could get the grades.
Reply 12
Original post by taheki
Yeah I accepted the offer and got the grades, so I'm at Imperial now. I didn't mention anything about my bad grades or reasons for them on the personal statement - it was all explained on my reference. In my interview they did ask me about it, and I was just honest and explained everything, assuring them I was over it and confident I could get the grades.

I found out I have an interview on the 23rd!
I hope things turn out for me the way they have for you :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Sifr
I found out I have an interview on the 23rd!
I hope things turn out for me the way they have for you :smile:

*clap clap clap*

Knew it! :biggrin: Fingers crossed for you, the 23rd will be here soon enough - keep us posted with how things turn out, and all the best! ^^
Reply 14
Original post by arianex
*clap clap clap*

Knew it! :biggrin: Fingers crossed for you, the 23rd will be here soon enough - keep us posted with how things turn out, and all the best! ^^

will do!
But now im so nervous :/ I had the interview date moved a bit later so I could prepare a bit more.

Thanks though :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending