Advantages/Disadvantages of having your driving test at 8.20am?

Watch
heva__x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Well I have my test booked for mid march at 2.37pm, which for me and my instructor is ages away! I have been on the direct gov website and there's a few tests become available for mid february at 8.20am. I'm confident about the date as I feel I will be more than ready by then, bu was just wondering from anybodies experience what the advantages and disadvantages of having your test at this time are? Thanks!
agolati
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Advantage = alertness
Disadvantage = busy as hell
Advantage = busy as hell, you won't be made to drive as fast, more time to think.
Shippy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Advantage, you wont spend all day worrying about it and its over and done with early.
HJV
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Advantage: you'll be stuck in traffic and won't actually have to go very far.
M_E_X
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by heva__x)
Well I have my test booked for mid march at 2.37pm, which for me and my instructor is ages away! I have been on the direct gov website and there's a few tests become available for mid february at 8.20am. I'm confident about the date as I feel I will be more than ready by then, bu was just wondering from anybodies experience what the advantages and disadvantages of having your test at this time are? Thanks!
I did my test in a large shopping town (Southport). The 8:20 and the other early test (9:27 or w/e it is) were widely considered the best times here. There was no 'rush hour' really, and all the dozy shoppers weren't out yet, giving you a nice easy run.

The disadvantage is you have to get up a bit earlier...no biggie.

If you live in a town with lots of schools or commuters, but no shoppers, you might want to avoid the 'rush hour' and go in the middle of the day when things are quiet. In my town though, the early times are the best.
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pay the extra money for a saturday test. It's well worth it, a Saturday test at 8.20 am... Would be perfect.
heva__x
Rep:
?
Thanks guys, my instructor just phoned and said I should go ahead and book the earlier date do thats done, im so excited! I actually thought the busier the better as your not going so fast and have more time to think etc. All I need to do now is make sure I remember to look out for the "20 when flashing" signs!
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by M_E_X)
I did my test in a large shopping town (Southport). The 8:20 and the other early test (9:27 or w/e it is) were widely considered the best times here. There was no 'rush hour' really, and all the dozy shoppers weren't out yet, giving you a nice easy run.

The disadvantage is you have to get up a bit earlier...no biggie.

If you live in a town with lots of schools or commuters, but no shoppers, you might want to avoid the 'rush hour' and go in the middle of the day when things are quiet. In my town though, the early times are the best.

So did I :awesome:.
M_E_X
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
So did I :awesome:.
Wheyy :awesome:

I failed first time, I got the 'boss' man there. The second time I got the lovely woman (the only one) and passed . Not that it really matters who is your examiner, people just use that as an excuse really, it was definitely my fault when I failed first time (there were two big vans/trucks parked in the middle of the road on Lord Street, unloading, and I was too hesitant to go around them (would have meant going in to other lane)...major)

I also got a major for thinking the Southport coast road was a 30, when it's a 50 :awesome. I passed second time though, two minors! Have you passed yet?
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by M_E_X)
Wheyy :awesome:

I failed first time, I got the 'boss' man there. The second time I got the lovely woman (the only one) and passed . Not that it really matters who is your examiner, people just use that as an excuse really, it was definitely my fault when I failed first time (there were two big vans/trucks parked in the middle of the road on Lord Street, unloading, and I was too hesitant to go around them (would have meant going in to other lane)...major)

I also got a major for thinking the Southport coast road was a 30, when it's a 50 :awesome. I passed second time though, two minors! Have you passed yet?
Ah, John Hastings I think he's called.

I've had them all (sounds like an innuendo, :sigh:).
Yes, I passed third time with the woman (Pauline) , I screamed and bounced around for a little when she told me.

I hated Lord St. for driving down. The whole 'switching lanes' business really confused me - weaving in and out of bus lanes!
The time I passed, I was turning into the little back roads round the back of the test centre with cars parked right the way down one side so there was only room enough for one car and it was really hard to see round them. A group of lads packed into a little Micra came zooming down as I was edging out to go. I slammed on and they just decided to drive on the pavement. Was convinced that I'd failed because of that .....1 minor .
Lack of Creativity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a Saturday at 08:20.

It was beautiful.
chestercityfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
8:20 on a Saturday morning is certainly the best time to do a test
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HJV)
Advantage: you'll be stuck in traffic and won't actually have to go very far.
actually no, there are set test routes you have to do.

i'd go with disadvantage - busy as hell, loads of irate buisiness folks trying to get to work and driving dodgily.

try to get a cancellation. mines is at 3.30 and my previosu one was 1.30 just before xmas on 22 dec (roads empty!!)
mollydoris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
advantage-examiners havent had loads of ****e drivers to piss them off! i passed at 8.20. good luck x
heva__x
Rep:
?
(Original post by mollydoris)
advantage-examiners havent had loads of ****e drivers to piss them off! i passed at 8.20. good luck x
haha good point :P im starting to feel good about my time now, seems to be more advantages than disadvantages! well done on passing your test btw! when did u pass?
mollydoris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha good point :P im starting to feel good about my time now, seems to be more advantages than disadvantages! well done on passing your test btw! when did u pass?
i genuinely prefered the morning because of my nerves too, i had one at like 2.37 and cocked up big time..same with my one at like 10.20!

thankyou september 22nd 2010 at about 8.50am haha!

even if you fail dont give up, because i started too then i because my own worst enemy! im sure you'll be fine! x
heva__x
Rep:
?
i genuinely prefered the morning because of my nerves too, i had one at like 2.37 and cocked up big time..same with my one at like 10.20!

thankyou september 22nd 2010 at about 8.50am haha!

even if you fail dont give up, because i started too then i because my own worst enemy! im sure you'll be fine! x
yeah i think if i had one later in the day id end up waking up dead early and worry about it all day! how were the roads in your area around this time? there are lots of schools near me so ill be driving at 20mph most of my test i think haha!

how've you been finding driving since you got your licence? i think it might take me a few weeks before i get completely used to being in the car on my own, but im sooo excited! can't wait to have m licence!
mollydoris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah i think if i had one later in the day id end up waking up dead early and worry about it all day! how were the roads in your area around this time? there are lots of schools near me so ill be driving at 20mph most of my test i think haha!

how've you been finding driving since you got your licence? i think it might take me a few weeks before i get completely used to being in the car on my own, but im sooo excited! can't wait to have m licence!
They werent too bad actually! but then again i went onto a major roundabout, then an A round, off on a major roundabout and a country route into the town, so by the time id got into to the centre it wasnt that busy! on my first test (8.10) i had some schools grief but just a yummy mummy in a range rover!

driving quicker definately wont lie, but definatly more road aware too! tried to reverse bay park in sainsburys yesterday...took me about 10 minutes, generally better though, it was weird at first my heart was racing but now i love it x
heva__x
Rep:
?
They werent too bad actually! but then again i went onto a major roundabout, then an A round, off on a major roundabout and a country route into the town, so by the time id got into to the centre it wasnt that busy! on my first test (8.10) i had some schools grief but just a yummy mummy in a range rover!

driving quicker definately wont lie, but definatly more road aware too! tried to reverse bay park in sainsburys yesterday...took me about 10 minutes, generally better though, it was weird at first my heart was racing but now i love it x
hahah yeah i was out in my car with my mum a couple of days ago and i was trying to park outside pets at home, what a laugh, tried to drive forwards into the bay but ended up covering 2 bays, tried to fix it but ended up squint but just left it cause i was only covering one bay by this time :P thanks god my test centre doesn't have a car park, no bay parking
leanneebabyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi ive got my test very soon at 8.10 in the morning! Im soooo nervous has anyone got any tips please??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.56%
I'm not sure (46)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.69%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (513)
48.81%

Watched Threads