Rosiepie21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I need to study c1 maths (as level) independent of school. I am already part of the Kumon programme, currently about to start level K And was wondering whether Kumon covers the topics which will come up in the AS paper, therefore making my workload much lighter.
Anyone know how Kumon levels relate to the c1 content and whether I will already know the content, or if it will come up at all in the Kumon scheme?
Cheers.
Chelle-belle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From the website:

"Level K introduces students to types of functions, such as exponential and trigonometric, and their corresponding graphics, The skills developed here will ease students in to the calculus exercises of Level M."

Assuming you are on Edexcel, the C1 specification gives the description: "Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; differentiation; integration."

From this I am guessing Level K will help a little bit, but H, I and J which I presume you have already done should be just as useful. L will help more with the later chapters I think. You could always ask your Kumon tutor/teacher to clarify - as I'm pretty sure they have to be at least a little familiar with syllabuses. I don't remember the exponential/trig functions being in C1 (perhaps trig, but not the exponential).
chaz1992
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Kumon are terrible. Get a private tutor. My sister went to Kumon and whilst studying in her AS year (she told them she was in A Level and needed harder stuff and so did my mum) and they kept on teacher her long division even though she was fluent in it. She later failed her maths AS and despite Kumon being told this and being told she was leaving, they insisted on billing us for lessons she never attended AFTER she told them she failed and was going to quit. They finally got it into their heads six months ago that she failed in 2009, and didn't attend anymore after May 2009 and we weren't going to pay for the bills between September 2009 - August 2010!

Rant Over.

Back to the original topic, if you want to study C1, buy this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-L...4743775&sr=1-1

Do the sequences chapter first and then start from the beginning. That's how I did it.
Zhen Lin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For what it's worth, I did Kumon when I was younger. (Later half of primary school, then a couple of years off, then part of secondary school.) Yes, they are very adamant about repeating the basics until you can do it right and do it fast, but it works. That said, I wouldn't recommend it if your aim is to get help for GCSEs or A-levels — that's not what it's for.
Chelle-belle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was under the impression OP would attend Kumon regardless of whether or not it helped with C1. But either way, practice in factorisation and division will never hurt if you have the time and money - the faster you can spot them the better. I agree that a tutor may be more worth your money if this is particularly for your A levels. If you get stuck though during independant studies, we are always here to help at TSR :P
KUMON123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just started year 8 and I'm almost finished level K. its mainly about graphs and higher degree functions. Its pretty complicated for a 12 year old
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed