Popular foreign languages in uk

Watch
This discussion is closed.
francesca
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I need your help please? I am writing a thesis for my Ma and I desperately have to find out which foreign languages are usually studied and in which order for example 1) French 2) German etc

Is the Italian language very popular or not? Is it often part of the National curriculum? Thank you very much for your kind help. I hope I will receive many replies and as many possible details you can give me about this toopic please. Best wishes Francesca
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Hello

I cant help much but I think the main three languages people learn at secondary school are French, German and sometimes Spanish. I think most people have a GCSE in French or German, sometimes both. Italian doesnt seem to crop up that much although I'm sure I would have prefered doing that to German. Hope that helps a bit. Sorry its not a lot but thats all I know. Also, I dont think there is a specific order that they are studied in. It normally just depends on the school you go to. Have you looked the Government website, www.statistics.gov.uk, it might help you find some useful stats on the languages learnt. www.open.gov.uk - this website might be useful as well. Hope that helps a bit.

Helen Brownsell
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi, i am in year 10 and from year 7 i had to study 2 languages, French and either German or Spanish. I know some schools do it differently and introduce a second language later on. For GCSE's i have to study one language and the other was optional. Hope this is of some help.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (299)
34.17%
No (576)
65.83%

Watched Threads