The Student Room Group

Driving a convertible during first year ? 'Too Much?' (Photos included)

--------
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Writing this all down has made me even more annoyed -___- I hate when older people change your parents ideas. Now they trust her opinion over mine. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Okay I'm starting a law degree at UCL this year and I'm really excited to meet new people and finally take that step into further education after such a tedious gap year.

It's my birthday this summer and I'm getting a car, I've wanted the same car for ages and my parents are going to get it for me because I did well in my A Levels last year and I've volunteered though my gap year. It's the Peugeot 207 CC 2007 Plate. It's around 6-9k second hand. I've been looking on auto trader for months.

I've saved as much as I can for it and my parents will pay the rest and my insurance off.

All this time it's been the plan and FINE but yesterday my mum's friend whose a lecturer and a grade ONE nosey parker -_- came round and said 'no that will be wayyy to much' -_____- She said people won't take to me quickly and might think I'm a show off? JUST BECAUSE OF MY CAR?!

This is SOO annoying because it is MY CAR, I've wanted a convertible peugeot since they had the 206CC convertibles when like I was in year 9!!!

Now my mum's being all ' I don't want you to get picked on' :s-smilie: what the hell? Do people even pick on people at uni ? This isn't year 8 -_- Now they're suggesting I get something more modest because of what this woman said NOTHING more, up until yesterday this was THE PLAN. -__-

People at uni who drive do you think it would be 'too much?', can people REALLY judge you on your car :s-smilie: I'm soo peeved. How can a car be 'too much'

I want to get the black one, I've been looking on auto trader for months. How exactly can this car put me off having friends???? -_____- It's not like people will say 'you have a convertible, go away'

It's even more annoying because my parents NEVER thought like this BEFORE she came along.

Is this your first car?
Reply 3
Be like Legally Blonde but not with a blonde.
Reply 4
hah, nah, this isn't primary school. It's true if you have a car like this, those with money insecurities will feel uncomfortable. Though, this is a good thing because it weeds out people who wouldn't be a good match for you. Instead you'll draw people like yourself who are comfortable with saving money and spending it on things they want/enjoy.
Reply 5
No they won't judge you. End of.

Show this to your parents as proof.
Reply 6
I'd be more worried about it getting robbed tbfh.
Original post by jimcatinnes
Is this your first car?

Nope :smile: I've been driving for about a year now. I've driven my mums second car since I passed my test.
Reply 8
It's not so much about people thinking you're a show off, rather that you have absolutely zero taste and class. Even if you had a brand new Golf or something that was valued at 20k+ they'd think more of you than if you owned that car, so it's nothing to do with the cost of it. I don't even think it's a uni thing either, that car looks like it should belong to a single mother of 5 called Shaniqua. Any convertible, especially a cheap one, is going to make you look like a fool. This isn't Beverly Hills, and you don't need a car in London, especially in your first year.
Reply 9
I'd be more worried about affording parking in central London at all as a student. Are you going to pay the congestion charge? My guess is most London students don't have cars at all. I don't think anyone will pick on you, though.
Original post by jjarvis
I'd be more worried about affording parking in central London at all as a student. Are you going to pay the congestion charge? My guess is most London students don't have cars at all. I don't think anyone will pick on you, though.

Yeah I've added congestion charge to my budget :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Cicerao
I'd be more worried about it getting robbed tbfh.

O yeah cus Gone in Sixty Seconds style car ringers are known to target crappy soft top Peugots.:ahee:
Original post by Elipsis
It's not so much about people thinking you're a show off, rather that you have absolutely zero taste and class. Even if you had a brand new Golf or something that was valued at 20k+ they'd think more of you than if you owned that car, so it's nothing to do with the cost of it. I don't even think it's a uni thing either, that car looks like it should belong to a single mother of 5 called Shaniqua. Any convertible, especially a cheap one, is going to make you look like a fool. This isn't Beverly Hills, and you don't need a car in London, especially in your first year.

LOL. This made me laugh out loud.
I LOVE THIS CAR.
I've wanted it for YEARS and watched it go from 206 to 207 and still love it.

I think whether convertibles are tacky depends on taste really, my boyfriend drives a convertible mini and I think it's cute and my dad used to drive the audi TT, all depends on taste really.
Reply 13
Just feel lucky that your parents are willing to help you buy a car. Not all students are that lucky.
Original post by Awesome-o
Be like Legally Blonde but not with a blonde.

HAHA! I love Elle Woods.
Reply 15
If you've got a great personality, it won't matter what car you drive. You're not going to be bringing it into lectures or seminars or into the dining hall. Just have the smarts to know when someones liking you for you and when someones liking you for your car. If you can afford (or your parents afford) the extra costs of the car (petrol, congestion charge, tax), I don't see why not.
Congratulations on your unconditional, and much respect for saving up the money.
I don't think being a student will change anyone's perception hugely. There will always be people who don't like what you want to do, I wouldn't let it put you off. I can see where they're coming from about the "too much" thing - how many students do you think own a convertible car? But in the end, it's your choice as to what you drive, and if that's what you want then stuff what other people have to say! I would say they were more jealous about the fact you're getting a car from your parents, people are snide to me all the time when I say my parents pay for my car.
Ok, so we now know you're a troll who wants to be rich and pretty.

Or at least appear rich.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
LOL. This made me laugh out loud.
I LOVE THIS CAR.
I've wanted it for YEARS and watched it go from 206 to 207 and still love it.

I think whether convertibles are tacky depends on taste really, my boyfriend drives a convertible mini and I think it's cute and my dad used to drive the audi TT, all depends on taste really.

I think you would be less judged if you drove a convertible Audi/Mini at uni than that car. Perhaps your view has been quite distorted by pining for this car for so long, it is absolutely grotesque. I think your biggest problem will be the rah's judging you rather than the poorer students, who could quite possibly be quite in awe of such a vehicle. I honestly have no idea why you have fallen in love with a car that was designed and aimed at the 40+ reasonably successful hairdresser demographic. I mean why not go the whole hog and get a pair of fake D&G sunglasses, a cheap spray tan and a pair of Pineapple jogging bottoms?
At uni any run around will do, save it for a treat out of Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending